What Was Your Inspirarion to Start Learning Java?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1375 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2013 - 02:18 PM Rate Topic: -----

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

What Was Your Inspirarion to Start Learning Java?

Post icon  Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

In this thread, I'd like you to share what it was that inspired you to start programming, and what inspired you to choose Java over all the other languages?

I've found this language to be very compelling. Although the rules are strict and some people feel confined, I feel this language has a great deal of flexibility within without making it difficult to follow the flow. I was inspired to learn Java due to the boom of mobile application and game development with Android.

Also, Tony Stark trusts Oracle :P

Attached Image

What about you?

This post has been edited by Flukeshot: 02 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Was Your Inspirarion to Start Learning Java?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What Was Your Inspirarion to Start Learning Java?

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

I personally feel inspired to create a mobile application (Still havent achieved). I choose java because i was well told it was the easiest language to learn in terms of OOP. I still find java, a bit hard at times but well easy if i must say. I will be learning other languages since im seeking to earn a master degree for Computer Science in college (Freshman year of college). I wish to work for a security company in which i can use my programming knowledge to create more secure ways and to test mathematical ideology. Wish me luck in my future and hope you can learn java well :D Bonne chancé
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I wanted to do a programming class at uni and it was the language they happened to be teaching.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

What inspired me to start programing was seeing a mod that someone made of the original Starsiege Tribes. This was about 8-9 years ago. I was curious at how it was done so I did some research. All I found/understood was that i could use this tool to extract all the core files for modding from the original game. So I followed the short tutorial and was left with a folder full of .cs files (C#).
I opened these files and started reading them, I was completely overwhelmed but I recognized variables that looked to relate with ingame things like move speed, ammo, health etc. started changing values and seeing there effect ingame. (This was the most wonderful feeling, I actually made the game do something!!!). This took me to learning C#. I taught myself because everyone I asked about it knew nothing about programming. From C# I started to learn Java, As I had been told that it was quite similar to C#.
Turned out to be quite true, few differences but quite similar. I also enjoyed making programs for my friends (real crappy games and epilepsy triggering style programs.)

Since then I went on to mainly focus on C++ because of it's large presence in the industry. But these days I can pick a language up in a few hours and spend a week learning the standard libraries.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I learned Java over winter break because we had a Java unit coming up later in class my freshman year of high school that I heard would kill me. I ended up loving programming and continued on as much as I could.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostAndreeU17, on 02 July 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I personally feel inspired to create a mobile application (Still havent achieved). I choose java because i was well told it was the easiest language to learn in terms of OOP. I still find java, a bit hard at times but well easy if i must say. I will be learning other languages since im seeking to earn a master degree for Computer Science in college (Freshman year of college). I wish to work for a security company in which i can use my programming knowledge to create more secure ways and to test mathematical ideology. Wish me luck in my future and hope you can learn java well :D Bonne chancé

It's a shame to hear that someone chooses a language "because its easy". There is a lot of hand holding for the OOP side of Java though, I must admit. The compile rules seem to force you into an OOP style and I quite like that. Good luck in your career. I hear computer security pays quite well at the moment.

View Postcfoley, on 02 July 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

I wanted to do a programming class at uni and it was the language they happened to be teaching.

This seems to be what happens to Scottish students for the most part. :P

In school we get dragged through VB, kicking and screaming (my brother is at this stage at the moment) then send you to college to learn Java. I bet most drop it with hatred spawned by forced learning.. :(

View PostDraps, on 03 July 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

What inspired me to start programing was seeing a mod that someone made of the original Starsiege Tribes. This was about 8-9 years ago. I was curious at how it was done so I did some research. All I found/understood was that i could use this tool to extract all the core files for modding from the original game. So I followed the short tutorial and was left with a folder full of .cs files (C#).
I opened these files and started reading them, I was completely overwhelmed but I recognized variables that looked to relate with ingame things like move speed, ammo, health etc. started changing values and seeing there effect ingame. (This was the most wonderful feeling, I actually made the game do something!!!). This took me to learning C#. I taught myself because everyone I asked about it knew nothing about programming. From C# I started to learn Java, As I had been told that it was quite similar to C#.
Turned out to be quite true, few differences but quite similar. I also enjoyed making programs for my friends (real crappy games and epilepsy triggering style programs.)

Since then I went on to mainly focus on C++ because of it's large presence in the industry. But these days I can pick a language up in a few hours and spend a week learning the standard libraries.

:)

I messed around with C++ when private game servers were big, you're right when you say it feels great to change the way the game works. Like you said though, you never really know what you're doing until you learn the language proper.

Programming languages are easy to learn once you get one down, the fundamentals never change so it's all down to syntax and libraries.

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 03 July 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

I learned Java over winter break because we had a Java unit coming up later in class my freshman year of high school that I heard would kill me. I ended up loving programming and continued on as much as I could.

Was Java your first fully learned language, then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

It was indeed!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well, I say fully learned but there's no ceiling, really. One of the most compelling aspects of programming is the near infinite possibilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Android. It pays for my health insurance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I became interested in programming in high school when I created my first text based game in C++. I later took some classes in C# and am currently learning Java because that's what my college offers online. I hope to learn other languages as well but you gotta start somewhere, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Changed coasts, decided to change direction, went back to school, and java was the main language of instruction. Four courses later, I was enjoying it, so I kept on. Lately, I haven't written much java, mostly because I haven't been writing large-scale stuff, and it seems a shame to write small programs in Java, but I still keep up with the language (obviously).

It's a shame to hear that someone chooses a language "because its easy"

It's funny, but when you think about it people generally don't pick up a language, especially a first language, for any good reason. Reasons might be "because that's what they were teaching" or "because I heard it was good", but you never hear anyone say "because it was a well-built language with a strong OO language and libraries for miles, and I figured I could cope with some of the backwardness of the language model, ie, no first-class functions". Those are the things you understand later. So I always expect to hear bad reasons for learning Java at the start - it doesn't matter, the important thing is that you learn the language deeply and you find the things that are good about it, and then move on and learn something else so you don't get too parochial.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostFlukeshot, on 02 July 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostAndreeU17, on 02 July 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

It's a shame to hear that someone chooses a language "because its easy". There is a lot of hand holding for the OOP side of Java though, I must admit. The compile rules seem to force you into an OOP style and I quite like that. Good luck in your career. I hear computer security pays quite well at the moment.

Dont get me wrong i love a little challenge, and forcing my brain to work the extra mile. The reason why i said the easiest was mainly because i have no Experience with programming. I was and still am a total NOOB in computer programming. I wanted a language that was at the same time easy to comprehend and very useful. Java was my decision and well i enjoy java even when i get stuck in a few sections here and there. Also yes security is my goal, honestly i dont feel safe in the web. I guess that by offering my knowledge and skills i can bring the interner at least .5 step closer to a more secured social WEB :D. Thank you for opening such a great thread OP :D i like listening to others ideal view in java and thank you for the good luck, im sure i can achieve greatness :D Thank You

This post has been edited by Flukeshot: 04 July 2013 - 01:31 AM
Reason for edit:: Snipped unrelated part of huge quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

The reason I think it's a shame that Java's a "easy way" to become a programmer is that I enjoy coding in Java more than other languages I've tried out, and the "entry level" entity of any skill set is often discarded and replaced by the more difficult entities of the skill set.

Venturing into and learning new languages is a good thing, of course, but I'd hate to see anyone, including myself, grow out of Java and leave it behind. Java is kinda the "unite the people" language in my experience in that it's one of the few things Linux, Windows and Mac users can agree on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

I believed the lie... "Write once, run anywhere"

A little context. When Java come out, there was no Flash, no "Java"script, no DHTML, AJAX, nada. The idea that a Java Applet could magically do something dynamic in a browser was exciting. Java was going to revolutionize the web. There was no Java middle tier... Java's success is almost contrary to its original conception, actually.

So, I made applets. Everyone did. That's the only thing it was really good for, initially.

Java gets dumped on a lot, but it's usually based on the hind sight provided by Java existing at all.

Anyway, that would be why I started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I had to make a Cobol application running on VMS to read Java objects stored on a Sybase database
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +