2 Replies - 355 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2013 - 04:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I... don't... understand... C...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

I have been cracking my head open over this for the last 5 hours; mostly on my first stackoverflow post; to try and make some sense of some code. I am relatively good in Python however the step up to C has got me completely lost. I don't understand how memory allocation works one bit; i understand the concept of pointers but i seriously have no idea of what makes them necessary. I have no idea why pointers or buffers or malloc() are needed, nevermind how i must use them. Memory allocation. It being done for me in python leads me to a massive trainwreck in C that i haven't the slightest clue what i am even reading, and that online guides and tutorials cannot help.

Can anyone suggest a pdf book; a guide; anything that approaches what i really need to know? The only thing i can code is interpreted languages; i have never even looked at a memory block.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: I... don't... understand... C...

#2 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I... don't... understand... C...

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

POPULAR

This looks like it would work:

This book is intended for programmers who have learned at least one other programming language. I refer you to Learn Python The Hard Way if you haven't learned a programming language yet. This book is meant for total beginners and works very well as a first book on programming. Once you've done those then you can come back and start this book.
- http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

C is actually a simple language. Perhaps too simple. It makes you write your own tools, rather than just handing you an already full tool box. C is the raw, messy, engine that powers more friendly languages, like python.

Take it slow. You can't expect to fly when it is the nature of the language to make you build wheels first.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I... don't... understand... C...

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postgrafzeppelin, on 02 July 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

I have been cracking my head open over this for the last 5 hours; mostly on my first stackoverflow post; to try and make some sense of some code. I am relatively good in Python however the step up to C has got me completely lost. I don't understand how memory allocation works one bit; i understand the concept of pointers but i seriously have no idea of what makes them necessary. I have no idea why pointers or buffers or malloc() are needed, nevermind how i must use them. Memory allocation. It being done for me in python leads me to a massive trainwreck in C that i haven't the slightest clue what i am even reading, and that online guides and tutorials cannot help.

Can anyone suggest a pdf book; a guide; anything that approaches what i really need to know? The only thing i can code is interpreted languages; i have never even looked at a memory block.

thumbs up for asking the right question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1