What major bugs have you found? (Websites, Apps, etc.)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1327 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

What major bugs have you found? (Websites, Apps, etc.)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

My Motorola Droid-X is really starting to show it's age, so last night I was browsing around the Verizon website comparing the latest and greatest smartphones when I noticed something.

If you look at the Samsung Galaxy S4 the default selection is Black color with 16GB. When you change for a 32GB model the price jumps from $199 to $249. However, if you change the color again, the price jumps back down to $199 with 32GB!

Considering the S4 on Verizon only has 2 color selections and 2 memory selections, you would think more effective testing would have been done! ;)

So tell me, what major bugs have you all come across in Websites, Applications, etc?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What major bugs have you found? (Websites, Apps, etc.)

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What major bugs have you found? (Websites, Apps, etc.)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

I found links on puzzlebox.com that when clicked opened a gate to hell and let out these creatures who called themselves the Cenobites.

I exchanged my uncle, who killed my father, as an offering for my safety.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I've seen some silly DBA doesn't understand the nature of 'public' and 'private' and totes left (what I can only assume) experimental - and untested - parts online when they shouldn't have.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

The web ordering system for a major pizza chain used to have an oh exploitable bug

Their buy-one-get-one would add a $0 pizza to your cart instead of a discount. Removing the base pizza would remove the additional, but editing the base pizza and deleting it from that screen would remove it but leave the additional.

Infinite free pizza.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I've found multiple bugs in OS X -- more than I've seen in Windows or Linux combined.

Once, I was dragging multiple folders into another folder, and the image of all the folders selected was effectively burned onto the screen, and they even showed up in a screenshot. I had to restart to fix it.

Sometimes, after logging in, the computer just falls asleep again 2 seconds later. That happened to me for the third time, yesterday.

And every now and then, my wallpaper gets reverted to the stuff I had 2 months ago. I think I fixed that one, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've seen many similar bugs when using OSX. I had to get a replacement battery for the thing, so while at the mac store I asked about it... I was told, "Macs don't have bugs, you must have been misusing the system."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

bwahahaha I'm just picturing the apple jockey with a troll face after saying that
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 02 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I've seen many similar bugs when using OSX. I had to get a replacement battery for the thing, so while at the mac store I asked about it... I was told, "Macs don't have bugs, you must have been misusing the system."

Every fucking thing has bugs. In experience Apple's "Genius Squad" has been a bunch of oblivious bastards who think Apple is the shit, full of grandiosity too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

I once exploited a bug in an online news poll which had its results being broadcasted live on television. So I wrote a quick program which essentially flooded the poll with votes to one choice that was not at all expected to win. Then sat back and watched the news anchor on TV give a dumb look as they had to read the results that I created. It was very much like that scene in the movie hackers where they were changing the television program. They were like "Ok, so we have the results of our news poll and.... apparently 99% of you think this..."

Then of course there were all the hacks I did to gabehabe's ohai site, but I won't get into those. haha ;)

I can't really talk about the rest.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 02 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostMikhail, on 02 July 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 02 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Every fucking thing has bugs. In experience Apple's "Genius Squad" has been a bunch of oblivious bastards who think Apple is the shit, full of grandiosity too.

I don't know dude. That Mac Genius was rather cute, and so clean cut, I believed him. I mean who couldn't believe all the words coming out of those alluring lips. Still melt every time my screen bombs, oh, naughty LoD, naughty naughty misusing that Mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 02 July 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

I once exploited a bug in an online news poll which had its results being broadcasted live on television. So I wrote a quick program which essentially flooded the poll with votes to one choice that was not at all expected to win.

Impressive. My best "Hack" was at my old college. In preparation for a big Javascript test I was going through all relevant chapters and making a study guide out of the end-section questions. Since I couldn't find some clear-cut answers to a few of the questions I turned to Google.

I ended up coming across public documents of a professor in some California University, rough domain was: SomeCalUniversity.edu/faculty/instructors/Rivera/course/Java/ChapterReview7.doc. The issue was that the documents were for Java, not Javascript. It was about 2:00AM so I got bored and started playing around. By navigating back a couple of branches in the domain, I found the instructor taught several IT courses, including Javascript. The problem was that when I tried to access SomeCalUniversity.edu/faculty/instructors/Rivera/course/Javascript I was prompted for a password.

Just for kicks I tried SomeCalUniversity.edu/faculty/instructors/Rivera/course/Javascript/ChapterReview1.doc and was able to view the document! Since I knew the Instructors naming convention from the public folder, I was able to access over 20 chapters worth of excellent study material that was 98% word for word with my book, even having the questions in order.

It may not be much, but I was impressed with myself! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

When I was about 16 I frequently ran out of credit on my phone, as most 16 year olds do. I used a "free" text messaging service online which somehow started draining my credit when I topped up. I cancelled my "subscription" and checked out the site in a little more detail, and found that by changing a few hidden form inputs, I could send an infinite number of texts to any number, from any number, for free.

I had some fun with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

In one of my college courses, my professor had every one of the documents for the course behind a password protected page on his website (which was apparently set up by his wife). Anyways, I noticed that it wasn't the standard login popup that websites use, in fact it was just a Javascript prompt box being displayed. That's right, his website was storing the password in plain text on the page's source code and using Javascript to validate it. By simply disabling Javascript I got around having to input the password. Furthermore, after a little look at the source I noticed that he was using HTML includes to keep files separate. So I just copied the include for the content portion of the page and didn't even have to worry about disabling my Javascript to get to the "protected" content on his site.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

Because my pc was crashed (I do much experiments with it), my mother had created an account for me on her XP laptop, I didn't experimented with it, but when my mother wanted to llogin, her account was deleted. For completely no reason.
Luckily her folder with configurations and files wasn't deleted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

I wouldn't call it a bug, but years ago I was digging in the code for naim (an aol chat client written for linux that uses ncurses library), & all of the exit statements were manually coded. This was incredibly inefficient, as there was like only 3 or 4 different messages, but they were coded well over 30+ times. I re-wrote it with what I felt was a proper, dynamic exit structure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +