3 Replies - 1212 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Conceptualize what language and layout for a web system

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi everyone I'm new to programming. I'm curious if I can get some feedback on what would be the best way to approach my next project.

Background: I'm creating a character management system for a roleplaying game that involves multiple tables. I have so far successfully implemented character creation, edit and deleting and approval. There are some small issues but for the most part I have completed all of this using php and mysqli.

Features needed: 1. A template-- Certain tribes and clans provide added attribute changes. For example if you are a soldier of X tribe you get +1 strength and if you are from Y clan you get +1 willpower. So You'd receive both benefits as you have to select a tribe and a clan.

I'm curious what everyone would use to implement this? There are several other features that need to be implemented but I figured if I can get help on this then I can take care of the others (or get to a stopping point).

Ideally I'd like it so that the website owner can make changes without having me do it constantly as the game is dynamic and changes stories every 2 years or so. So some tribes and clans will no longer exist or will be added in. Would you use a php/mysql system or more javascript to keep track of points spent at character creation and having the character creation auto-update (i.e. I pull down and select tribe x and clan y and my stats change to reflect being apart of these two affiliates- I understand php is static in refresh but curious how it would be implemented.).

Let me know if something is unclear.
My questions that are sprinkled through out is
1. What language and how would you implement creation points
2. How you would implement attributes being added/auto-updating the page (I only know php and mysql right now)
3. How would you conceptualize all of this together to create something where a person without technical skills could change what benefits tribes and clans give and add their own tribes and clans.

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Conceptualize what language and layout for a web system

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Conceptualize what language and layout for a web system

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Features needed: 1. A template-- Certain tribes and clans provide added attribute changes. For example if you are a soldier of X tribe you get +1 strength and if you are from Y clan you get +1 willpower. So You'd receive both benefits as you have to select a tribe and a clan.

This sounds like a database feature. I would have a couple tables:
membership
--------------------------------------------------------
membership_id (PK) | character_id (FK) | clan_id (FK) | 
--------------------------------------------------------

attributes
-----------------------------------
attribute_id (PK) | attribute_name|
-----------------------------------

attribute_changes
-------------------------------------------------------------
clan_id (PK, FK) | attribute_id (PK, FK) | attribute_amount |
-------------------------------------------------------------

This will allow you to relate characters to clans and clans to attribute changes.

I understand php is static in refresh but curious how it would be implemented.).

Again, this is a database question here. PHP is really what does the database query and processes the results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Certainly a database for the storage.
PHP is a good shout for interfacing with the database, although there are certainly other options.
HTML/CSS (and maybe Javascript) for the front end, assuming you want a web interface.

However, I wonder if your requirements can be achieved with a content management system. This is certainly a big task for a beginner so if you can find a content management system that meets your requirements then that might be the best option.

This post has been edited by cfoley: 02 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

I agree that a large portion of the issue is database oriented but some of it isn't.

As a newbie I see I may have messed up a little as I conceptualized the attributes for the characters on the main character sheet. It sounds like instead-- they should be separated and then joined.

However, I wonder if your requirements can be achieved with a content management system. This is certainly a big task for a beginner so if you can find a content management system that meets your requirements then that might be the best option.

It is the biggest project to date I've worked on--- I was worried it would require javascript to do some of the 'counting' of points used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1