3 Replies - 305 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Making an E-Commerce Website

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hey Guys!

In a class I'm in, the very first thing we're asked to do is to make an E-commerce website. Nothing big - the data is even just in an XML file.

Now the thing is, this is a pizza website, and there are a lot of different permutations in the pizza you can buy, small, large, with pepperoni, with sausages, and stuff like that.

Now this is a programming class I'm in (and this is a programming forum), but I wanted to ask, if you were to implement this, how would you go about designing it for user experience?

My very first stab at it was like so:

PIZZA_NAME
[]Small []Large

Just radio-boxes, nothing clever. However, I realized that radio-boxes were not really the best thing to do, since what if I wanted to buy 5 Large Pizza and 2 Small Pizza?

Right now I'm using
<input type="number"/>
for my form, and I have input for small, and large.

It'd be also nice if you could give general UI/UX advice, and maybe stuff like Javascript (I don't know, hide the forms then expand or something?) to make it easier

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this, but I think this is something that might matter in the real world.

Thanks!

Oh, and hopefully I'm posting in the right side the forums :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Making an E-Commerce Website

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Making an E-Commerce Website

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Javascript is still client side. To implement any sort of ordering functionality, as you have described, you will need a server-side language like PHP, ASP.NET, Python (Django), or Ruby (Rails); along with a database engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Oh, I might have made my post a little bit unclear.

It's not really the e-commerce part I have a problem with, it's the UI/UX experience (hence the Javascript). I can program the ordering functionality with php no prob, but with the pizza lot, the page gets cluttered all to quickly and I'm looking for ideas how to do it in a pretty way.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 05 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

OK, each thing on IT related stuff is beginning with a plan. So, you must ask yourself and maybe take some notes on a piece of paper, or use some program, about how would you like all this to be presented. Colours, fonts, positioning etc. is the web designer's job. You can ask yourself what are the UI elements that would please you, as a user/ customer, to give an online order for a pizza. You can chech from whatever is available already on the net, conclude on a raw sketch and go from there. But as you said, you are in a programming class, so what you must be interested in, in principle, is how to program the whole thing, how to implement server and client side logic etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1