2 Replies - 613 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2013 - 11:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Yet Another DirectX 11 Question!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hey again everyone! I feel like soon you guys are going to start getting sick of having me around :P

I've been re-learning DirectX after having used DX9 some time ago, and started heading into DX11. As most of you may know, tutorials and books for DirectX 11 are few and far between. I've been looking at http://www.rastertek.com/tutdx11.html for help lately. I'm into 2D game development, and I am aware how in DirectX 11 it's basically just using a static Z coordinate. But, that's about all I know. I have a window running that just shows a blue screen for now as a placeholder as well, so i'm not completely helpless (I hope!).

Basically, my question is this: since there are so few DirectX 11 tutorials, and even fewer geared towards 2D, would DirectX 10 tutorials work? I'm not saying I found any yet, as I wanted to come for advice here first, but i'm under the impression that aside from some higher level stuff that I won't need to get graphics on the screen, they are basically the same aside from using DX11 or DX10 in variables and function calls. So would going through whatever DirectX 10 tutorials I can find and replacing the calls using DX10 with DX11 work, or am I way off-base with that assumption? Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by Mr_Fraggs: 04 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Yet Another DirectX 11 Question!

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Yet Another DirectX 11 Question!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

This depends on how you want your 2D game to be. If you are looking at textured quads then you will need to view the scene differently. But if you are planning on having 3D with a fixed z coordinate then you can choose where you want the camera to be positioned. But whatever you do the drawing will be the same unless you look at Direct2D which I think might be deprecated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Yet Another DirectX 11 Question!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, I constantly hear Direct2D is going out the door. I did hear it might be sticking around, but not only do the amount of times I see it being thrown out the door far outweigh it staying, I also read that it's more for graphics primitives, and less about actual 2D game development.

Now, the game I started working on in XNA until I switched over to C++/DirectX was a tile based game that uses only sprites. My math skills aren't anywhere close to top notch, so for now at least, 2D math is basically what i'm limited to, and even that will probably still require some looking up here and there along the way. But the best way I can learn is by doing, not by reading, so i'll be picking up the skills I lack along the way. Think of a game that looks like the Pokemon games, as that's the most popular example I can think of. It's going to be a lot more than that, but that's the perspective i'm aiming for. Another example I can use is a top-down game like Hotline Miami gameplay, but with the perspective from Pokemon. It's all going to be with sprite-sheets and bitmaps, with no 3D elements. I haven't actually finished a full game aside from stuff like Blackjack for school projects, so i'm avoiding the 3D scene for now. 2D is my crawling before I can (3D) walk I guess.

The only 3D I believe I need is to make rectangles in DirectX and apply textures to them, and display it using a static Z coordinate or an orthogonal (probably spelled that wrong :/) projection matrix, which I admittedly need to read up on a little more.

In XNA, I used a world map, and chose what to draw based on the camera's position in the world, and subtracted the position of the camera from the world. I'll probably have to rework that i'm sure but that's a story for a different day.

I hope this helps clear up some stuff from my questions!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1