2 Replies - 943 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Monitor: Poor Picture Quality

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

My image on my monitor is looking abnormal. Its like its super contrast (all the colors are blocking together). There's no smooth transition of the colors and everything is all blurry.

I plugged in a different monitor and the image is fixed, if I take a screenshot the image saved looks normal if opened on a different monitor/computer. Its something with only this monitor Acer 22" Wide LCD Monitor (P224W). But when I plug it into another computer the image is fine, which means it something to do with the interaction with Ubuntu 13.04.

I tried going into the monitor's setting changing the contrast/brightness/profile. But it only brights or darkens the ing blurry picture. I tried going into ubuntu's setting and changing the resolution but that didn't help either. I tried calibrating the picture in settings under color but the button is unclickable. Could it be a driver for the monitor or something? If so how do I find the right driver? If not, what else could it be? Please help its got to be something small and simple that I'm missing.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Monitor: Poor Picture Quality

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Monitor: Poor Picture Quality

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Are all your comparisons 'same-same'?
What I mean is... Are you doing all your testing, on all the computers and all the monitors using hte same input and at the same resolution? If you are comparing VGA (9pin) to the DVI input that doesn't really tell you if the monitor has an issue with one input source. And if you are comparing 1920x1080 on one computer to 1024x768 on another that doesn't help either.

I assume you've hit the "auto calibrate" button on the face of the monitor?

To me it sounds a lot like it is being seen as 8 bit color. The basic mode most any OS goes into at launch until it is told the monitor has other capabilities.

Since true screen capture shows a good output... Take a photo with a camera to show us what it looks like.

You might check there isn't a bent pin in the connector. I had that happen once. It was fully flattened down in the connector so it wasn't making contact. Caused all kinds of weird.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Monitor: Poor Picture Quality

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 06 July 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Are all your comparisons 'same-same'?
What I mean is... Are you doing all your testing, on all the computers and all the monitors using hte same input and at the same resolution? If you are comparing VGA (9pin) to the DVI input that doesn't really tell you if the monitor has an issue with one input source. And if you are comparing 1920x1080 on one computer to 1024x768 on another that doesn't help either.

I assume you've hit the "auto calibrate" button on the face of the monitor?

To me it sounds a lot like it is being seen as 8 bit color. The basic mode most any OS goes into at launch until it is told the monitor has other capabilities.

Since true screen capture shows a good output... Take a photo with a camera to show us what it looks like.

You might check there isn't a bent pin in the connector. I had that happen once. It was fully flattened down in the connector so it wasn't making contact. Caused all kinds of weird.

I was using the same input and resolution and cable. Which you're last comment gave me the idea to try a different cable. Qapla'!!! Worked perfectly. I knew it had to be something stupidly simple. Thanks so much!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1