7 Replies - 955 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Question about interview

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

This is very concise point question.
Why do non technical people(non-IT) people interview the technical(IT) people, i noticed that in my interview that manager or PR person with little or no experience in SW development do the interviewing.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about interview

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about interview

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

... because they don't have someone free, or that you need to be able to talk to other people fine.. that your personality defects are not overshadowed by the tech jargon... that, typically, HR is a first line of defense against ill fitting potential employees.. etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

because someone in this world thought that HR was a real gig and should have more power than they need as well as thinking that HR actually knows what they are talking about when hiring people.

----I have never met a HR person that knew what they were doing or how to hire the right people. All my jobs I have landed I had the luck to be hired directly by the managers or owners avoiding the dumb ass HR people.

**a story****

I once had an interview with this hr lady for a job and she couldnt speak a word of english so when I asked for an english speakign person she got offened and I was told to leave....1 hour later I was hired by the manger and she was eventually let go because of communication problems...

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 July 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

... because they don't have someone free, or that you need to be able to talk to other people fine.. that your personality defects are not overshadowed by the tech jargon... that, typically, HR is a first line of defense against ill fitting potential employees.. etc.

I would have to disagree here modi--

many of the HR hirees that we have ever got in many of my jobs were usually fired or quit within 1 month or so. The ones that were kept or stuck around were hired by bypassing hr.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

.. and in my experience I've seen the other (well when I cared enough to look around). I have seen plenty of crap hole interviewees that were bounced by HR for foul behavior, missing job skills, false information, not geling with the company vibe, and just being a two-bit jerk offs. Folks, who I know may have ran a solid technical interview but would have been bad for that company.

Sure you can find HR folk who are the cock of the walk for their little fiefdom, but that same behavior can be with any other manager and is not always the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 July 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

.. I have seen plenty of crap hole interviewees that were bounced by HR for foul behavior, missing job skills, false information, not geling with the company vibe, and just being a two-bit jerk offs. Folks, who I know may have ran a solid technical interview but would have been bad for that company.

isn't this the criteria for management? ---lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Pffsst.. like managers go through _NORMAL_ HR routes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostMichael26, on 08 July 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

This is very concise point question.
Why do non technical people(non-IT) people interview the technical(IT) people, i noticed that in my interview that manager or PR person with little or no experience in SW development do the interviewing.

Because that's their job. That's what they're trained to do - they also interview the marketing staff, graphic designers, receptionists, business analysts, and other HR people. If you pass them, then you might talk to the technical people about technical stuff (if the company has any sense), but there's no point in bothering the technical people if you can get filtered out by HR.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the answers people, i think i got this. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1