• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 2133 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Data structures class made my day

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I think that's a good assessment of Barnette.

1114 is... the new 1705 I think.

That's a good course to TA. I did that one for a while, as well as Data Structures 1. It's actually a pretty indicator of the huge range of skills of people coming into the CS program.

If you can get him, I enjoyed Arthur, who teaches Programming Languages and Compilers and is good for the occasional worn-out UVA joke (if he's still there).
There's a Bioinformatics prof that I avoided like the plague - I think she also teaches a Formal Languages course and is terrible.

Professionalism usually sucks, there's no two ways about it.
Balci is a combination of every trope you'll see in a software dev teacher (Software Engineering), but you can dull the pain by taking 3724 Human Computer Interaction.

I found that in my senior year I was unable to get any electives I wanted due to the terrible scheduling practices of said electives, so look ahead to those.

Finally, pay the hell attention in Systems. I'm sick of coworkers who don't know what a race condition looks like. Go to football games. Never go to the math emporium. Live off-campus after freshman year (seriously it's the same but cheaper by far). Do stuff on your own time, or do undergraduate research, because you aren't going to get resume builders out of the curriculum, although the Virginia Tech name and a solid GPA gets you in a lot of doors. They have baller career fairs, go to those. I've never worked for a company who didn't have Virginia Tech on the map. Take physics with Chang (I know you need it for that engineering degree).

Man I miss that place, but it's just not the same going back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Also, don't take Combinatorics with Shimozono unless you're willing to work hard and understand that he curves immensely at the end. I got a lot out of his class, but it wasn't easy. And 2534 with Mrs. McQuain is not fun, but she's actually one of the best proof writing instructors you'll find at Tech, next to maybe Shugart and Rogers (though they teach 3034).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Chang doesn't teach physics anymore. Only deforms. I had 2305 with Joyce and failed it (but in my defense I had it this past summer session and I was sick and missed two weeks of school).

xclite, did you pick a CS track?

I've heard good things about the career fairs. The next one should be coming up at the start of the fall semester.

Also (lucky me) I don't have to take combinatorics due to the CS/math double major. I get to take proofs and modern algebra instead. They sound much worse tho...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Which math track are you doing? Applied Discrete has a CS minor built in, so might be better in terms of course overlap. Combinatorics is definitely a course you want to take (and is required for Applied Discrete), just with a different professor. To give you an idea, I got a 70 in Combinatorics with Shimozono, and that was a B. Most other professors have higher numeric cutoffs, but with easier assignments and tests. You'll use Applied Combinatorics if you end up taking Algorithm Analysis, as well as in CS 3114.

I haven't had Modern Algebra yet, but I've seen enough. If you're passionate about data structures, then you'll like Modern Algebra. A lot of people find it difficult because it's so abstract though. It talks about groups, rings, and fields, which are like (OOP) classes for math. The integers are a ring (a place where you can add and multiply). The reals are a field (you can add and multiply, and there are multiplicative inverses for every element). If you are familiar with modular arithmetic, the integers modulo n constitute a group (like a field, but only over multiplication).

Proofs is rough if that's your first time around. Just remember that you keep getting better, so stick it out and your grades will improve. If at all possible, take it next semester with Shugart or Rogers. If you can take anything with Shugart, do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostCSatVTftw, on 10 July 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Chang doesn't teach physics anymore. Only deforms. I had 2305 with Joyce and failed it (but in my defense I had it this past summer session and I was sick and missed two weeks of school).

xclite, did you pick a CS track?

I've heard good things about the career fairs. The next one should be coming up at the start of the fall semester.

Also (lucky me) I don't have to take combinatorics due to the CS/math double major. I get to take proofs and modern algebra instead. They sound much worse tho...

I'd probably agree with taking Combinatorics if you can.

I didn't get to take a track - my senior year basically meant finding electives that fit into a schedule so I could graduate.

Ended up with Security and Databases for my electives. Force added AI from the ECE department, which was ok, though I would have preferred the CS version.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostLemur, on 10 July 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Stacks, Queues, Linked Lists, Polish Notation, and some basic recursion. It was heaps of something alright... No wonder I had to spend so much time teaching myself actual data structures after it took 5-6 weeks to explain a stack and a queue to people...

Same thing happened in my data structures class, except it was worse. He spent 2 weeks explaining arrays and just gave up on linked lists. In the lab, we had our Department Dean teaching it and he got annoyed and walked out one day. Left TAs to teach after that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +