2 Replies - 393 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2013 - 04:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

web based duplicate file finder

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello,

My partner and I are planning to make a web based duplicate file finder application.This application will remove the dulicate files on your system. We are already have an idea on how to implement this by using hash algorithms but my question is since it is web based,is it possible that the web server could actually access your local. We will be using PHP and Codeigniter frameworks. I hope you can enlighten our minds.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: web based duplicate file finder

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: web based duplicate file finder

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

my question is since it is web based,is it possible that the web server could actually access your local

rest assured, that’s (meaning file system access) impossible.

well, unless you count HTTP access or Socket connections (i.e. client-server communication) in.

(you can of course make your local machine send data to the server, but that has nothing to do with PHP)

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 10 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: web based duplicate file finder

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

View Postmargauxx, on 11 July 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

is it possible that the web server could actually access your local

If that were to become possible, the internet would collapse in a single day. Nobody would go anywhere near the internet if a web server could just read your local files. If they could actually delete or modify files, we'd have a virus pandemic the likes we've never seen before. - Browser manufactures and anti-virus developers go to great lengths to make sure this is not possible.

If you need access to files on the client machine, you'll either have to ask them to upload them to your server, or just write a client application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1