9 Replies - 1017 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need help desperately!

Post icon  Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

If this is not right place to seek help pardon me for posting this here, but i feel u can guide me. I completed by BE in computer science in 2005 but after that i couldn’t take up a job till now due some personal reasons. Now that i am ready to take up a job. I applied to some companies here in India, but all of them got rejected saying u got a big gap from the time you finished your education. Its true that i have become a little outdated as far as my skill set is considered. I am very keen on pursuing a career as an application developer. So could u please guide to upgrade my skill set to the current industry requirements (which i am completely unaware of)…like the languages, technologies, or any kind of certifications if required. How can i get started?? If you could help me … it will be of great help.. continuous reject at interviews is making me feel very low…just need some help very badly….Hoping to get a reply.

I am familiar (beginner level - all of them self learnt)with PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Javascript. As part of my degree i have learnt languages like C, C++, Java, VB, VC++ And also Oracle in DB , but these r little rusted in my memory.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need help desperately!

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need help desperately!

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

It is my opinion that a years time wouldn't produce that many changes to make your current knowledge unusable.

My suggestion would be to log onto rentacoder.com & take up small jobs utilizing your current skill-set. This would get you experience that you could use on a resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

Is there any chance that someone will hire me?? what do look for while deciding on a particular bid? i was disappointed at some other freelance sites. Anyways i ll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

View PostDeepas, on 30 Aug, 2007 - 10:14 AM, said:

Is there any chance that someone will hire me??

I asked myself that same question. Now I've completed 22 jobs. Someone will hire you if the price is right (especially if you can make good on the deadline.

what do look for while deciding on a particular bid?

Make sure you can give it the time required. If they want it done in 3 days, & you may or may not make it, take that into concideration. I usually take jobs that I know I can complete & then make customer additions to & still make the deadline.
[/quote]

i was disappointed at some other freelance sites. Anyways i ll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rentacoder is good because they moderate the work, the money, & the acceptance.

Good luck =-)

This post has been edited by no2pencil: 30 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Thats good to know... i will definitely give it a try...Thanks for the valuable input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Funny, this is the first time I hear any positive feedback on rentacoder, so far I was under the impression that they want Enterprise systems overnight for a McDonalds salary. It's good to see, that it is not the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

View Post1lacca, on 30 Aug, 2007 - 10:50 AM, said:

Funny, this is the first time I hear any positive feedback on rentacoder, so far I was under the impression that they want Enterprise systems overnight for a McDonalds salary. It's good to see, that it is not the case.

While that is something I commonly see on there, It's also a common misconception that you can buy million dollar antiques on eBay for 15¢. The truth is you must use common sense & make a clear statement about the agreement with your bid. You can't just say "I can do that, $100" & not expect them to want you to add functionality or assume something that isn't there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

I too, have never heard anything good about RentACoder, including my own experience. To me its a sham, and Ill never do business with them again (even if its the last programming job on the planet).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Oh! so many opinions abt RentACoder..... Any ways for me i have nothing to loose in giving it a try. thanks for letting me know of the possible disappointment....wont keep very high hopes of finding something there...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

My old job is over there in India somewhere. Look around and see if you can find it. :blink: :D

My advice would be to not give up and keep looking.

Network like crazy. Check with your old classmates and professors and see if they know of any jobs. Post on job wanted sections of forums. Post on job boards. Write a blog about your job search, just keep it positive and upbeat. Just make sure everyone you come in contact with on or off line knows that you're looking for a job.

Contact companies where you know someone, even if it's just the person who interviewed you and turned you down. Keep asking if they have any new jobs. Maybe that just graduated hotshot they hired instead of you couldn't do the work or maybe they have to staff up a new project quickly. And guess what, maybe they'll say, "Let's give that Deepas guy a job and see what he can do." because you'll be on their mind.

Look for short term contract work. I assume this exists in India. You can use this to get your foot in the door and, if you do a good job, you might get asked to stay longer or permanently hired. At the worst, you can improve your skills and gain important references.

Put up your own web site that highlights your skills. Create free WordPress or Joomla! plug-ins and templates to get your name out there. Nothing's better than walking into an interview where they've seen your website or earlier work and are impressed by it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1