3 Replies - 771 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Booting MenuetOS from CD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

I'm thinking about creating a bootable disc of MenuetOS so I can try it out (I would like to build my own lightweight computer and I'm experimenting with various OSs). I have some questions before I go around destroying my current OS accidentally :P (I have Windows 7 by the way)

1) I understand I need to change something in the BIOS to tell it to boot from the CD before the hard drive. If the CD isn't present, will it just default to my normal OS?

2) By booting from this CD, will I overwrite the OS on my hard drive?

3) Will I need to make a partition on the hard drive for the OS, or will it do itself, or does it need a separate partition at all?

4) Will it access and edit the hard drive at all without asking me?

5) Will I be able to access my current files on the hard drive?

6) Will it leave any massive changes on my computer that I won't be able to undo if I decide I don't want to use it again? (Whatever happens I won't install MenuetOS on my hard drive; it will stay on the CD)

7) My CPU is Intel U2300, which I believe supports 64-bit systems, however my version of Windows 7 is only 32 bit. So I just want to confirm that I will be able to use the 64 bit version of MenuetOS.

8) What would be the easiest way to screw up my whole system in this process? (So I can avoid doing it :P )

This post has been edited by JizzaDaMan: 12 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Booting MenuetOS from CD

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Booting MenuetOS from CD

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

1. Yes. In your bios is a boot order, change it first to go to CD/DVD and then second to hard drive. No CD it goes to the next option.
2. Typically, no. Bootdiscs are great to load things in RAM (like ubuntu's), but there is an option (clearly marked) that says "install to hard disk" or something like that.
3. If you are booting/running from CD - no. Again it sits in RAM.
4. It shouldn't.
5. Maybe, but more than likely yes.
6. It shouldn't.
7. Sure.
8. Install on top of your existing drive. Again this is all in RAM so it shouldn't be a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

I've tried Menuet it booted from a Floppy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostJizzaDaMan, on 12 July 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

7) My CPU is Intel U2300, which I believe supports 64-bit systems, however my version of Windows 7 is only 32 bit. So I just want to confirm that I will be able to use the 64 bit version of MenuetOS.

One thing about booting Live Cd's of various operating systems, is that usually, they in no way affect your current OS. Sure, you can access your files on the hard drive and do what you will, but for all intents and purposes, the Live disk never touches your OS files unless you tell it to in a file browser.

That being said, You can run any version of any OS as long as the OS matches up or is compatible with your processor (and other components). So if you have Windows XP installed on a 64bit system and you want to run Windows 7 32bit, feel free. This is a general concept that you can apply to other OS installations as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1