11 Replies - 3139 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to host a website on my own machine ?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hello everyone :)/> !

I wanted to ask if it is possible to host a website on my own computer, meaning turning it into a server.
Can i do so using Apache ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to host a website on my own machine ?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to host a website on my own machine ?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yes.. installing XAMPP/WAMP/LAMP would be your first start.. though you need an always on connection, a route through your firewall, port forwarding on your router, and some option for a domain name to point to a (possibly) changing IP address. Oh, and I wouldn't use it for gaming or other things lest your site be knocked off line. Sounds like a solid plan, right? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 July 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Yes.. installing XAMPP/WAMP/LAMP would be your first start.. though you need an always on connection, a route through your firewall, port forwarding on your router, and some option for a domain name to point to a (possibly) changing IP address. Oh, and I wouldn't use it for gaming or other things lest your site be knocked off line. Sounds like a solid plan, right? ;)/>

I have XAMP installed....what would be the next step ? registering a domain name ? what if i have a free domain name like the ones on 000webhost with the subdomains and stuff like www.site.subdomain.com ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

The next step is to punch a hole in the firewall, and get port forwarding working so the outside world knows it exists.

A domain name is a good idea.

A free domain from 000webhost is not the same as a domain name. A domain name is just one part of a key/value pair for domain lookups to happen and translate from text to an ip address. Hosting is just that - a place to host/store/house your files in a non volatile (and statically addressed) place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 July 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

The next step is to punch a hole in the firewall, and get port forwarding working so the outside world knows it exists.

A domain name is a good idea.

A free domain from 000webhost is not the same as a domain name. A domain name is just one part of a key/value pair for domain lookups to happen and translate from text to an ip address. Hosting is just that - a place to host/store/house your files in a non volatile (and statically addressed) place.

Can u explain to me what do u mean by "punch a hole in the firewall" and "port forwarding" from a noob's point of view ? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

No - I am not going to write out long explanations, for fairly complex topics, and hold your hand through the drawn out process, but what I can do is give you a mess of reading material.

http://lifehacker.co...eb-site-at-home
http://arstechnica.c...ure-web-server/

(search terms: "how to host website on home machine")
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

First I would suggest you check with your ISP that they allow traffic on Port 80. Then you forward Port 80 requests from your router to your server. Then you need to run a dynamic dns updater or your registered domain name will not work when your ISP re-assigns you a new ip address.

Commercial service comes at a higher price, but it offers convinces that will plague using residential service for web hosting.

& just to add a note, if you plan on using email, it will most likely get spammed out on a residential service. Even if your isp allows it, the isp of your delivery point (to) will block mail traffic that resolves to known residential ip addresses. & yes, your isp holds a different dhcp pool for residential service, than it offers to it's static addresses for commercial customers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 July 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

No - I am not going to write out long explanations, for fairly complex topics, and hold your hand through the drawn out process, but what I can do is give you a mess of reading material.

http://lifehacker.co...eb-site-at-home
http://arstechnica.c...ure-web-server/

(search terms: "how to host website on home machine")

Ok this is great too ;) I'll post here if i have any further questions :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 12 July 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

First I would suggest you check with your ISP that they allow traffic on Port 80. Then you forward Port 80 requests from your router to your server. Then you need to run a dynamic dns updater or your registered domain name will not work when your ISP re-assigns you a new ip address.

Commercial service comes at a higher price, but it offers convinces that will plague using residential service for web hosting.

& just to add a note, if you plan on using email, it will most likely get spammed out on a residential service. Even if your isp allows it, the isp of your delivery point (to) will block mail traffic that resolves to known residential ip addresses. & yes, your isp holds a different dhcp pool for residential service, than it offers to it's static addresses for commercial customers.

What im basically trying to do is that whenever i create a project on PHP and want to show it to anyone I give them the address of my server so that they can see my work :) Another aim is to create a PROPER website (which is password protected) and test it for security holes, and give it to someone else who will point out some vulnerabilities for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Okay.. so both of those should be done on a separate machine. Not the one you love, cherish, hold dear, or have important data on.

The first you should really just think about getting a cheap hosting setup. Hells bells I pay $19 a year for my host and $10 a year for my domain. Not that bad.

As for the pen-test machine.. are you looking to learn how to secure the page or secure the hardware?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 July 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Okay.. so both of those should be done on a separate machine. Not the one you love, cherish, hold dear, or have important data on.

The first you should really just think about getting a cheap hosting setup. Hells bells I pay $19 a year for my host and $10 a year for my domain. Not that bad.

As for the pen-test machine.. are you looking to learn how to secure the page or secure the hardware?

Both actually (securing the machine AND the page)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well.. as I said - get a new machine/physical box for that. It's fine and dandy trying to pen test your own rig, but you need to take that with a grain of salt with out having "business use" come barreling down and mucking up updates, patches, port closing, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1