8 Replies - 735 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2013 - 08:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[?]Creating a FormDesigner and Saving an Application

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

I have recently started working in C#, moving away just a little bit from Vb.net.
And I feel as if I am growing in knowledge of it at quite a good rate!

In a previous application I have seen where they had implemented the VS Property Edit Window, giving the option to edit an Open .Net Program. (Maybe via Dll Injection?)
But, it doesnt save I do not think.

So I was wanting to know if it was possible to do this myself and then some controls that can be added, then a button re-builds the application, BUT with the new code and controls that you added while editing.

If that is possible can someone head me on my way to what I need on doing this?

[Idea]Editing a .Net Application and rebuilding, in a quicker manner[/Idea]

:helpsmilie:

:stupid: :hammer:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [?]Creating a FormDesigner and Saving an Application

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [?]Creating a FormDesigner and Saving an Application

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

No.. you really don't 'recompile' the application while it is in run time. Sure you can make a series of 'plug ins' but that's a pretty complex and messy topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

So your going to tell me that there is no way to do something AROUND what I am wanting, at all?
Quite frankly I dont believe that.

For example what about 'Grabbing' the Source, 'Holding' it somewhere, then I can edit the properties from there then using 'CSharpCodeProvider' and ' ICodeCompiler' to Compile into a new application, with original base of the program plus your added code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Believe what you will, but again - you are running the code you are trying recompile and then assume you can pick right back up from where the exeuction path is even though the code is not the same... no.. that's not feasible. Not to mention just kicking up the newly compiled app means a new thread and the existing thread really doesn't have a connection to it.

Sure.. maybe in some sort of esoteric situations and screwball languages this may work but most certainly not in c#.

Remember - any code you write in C# is broken down into machine code by the compiler.. variable names, function names, comments, poorly optimized code, etc are gone'die like Mahatma.

That's why there are things like reading in from different files, app configs, plug in abilities, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

:/ well then I guess I have nothing to do for the rest of the year.
I thought this would be a good project ,and now im stuck with nothing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

:rolleyes:/> Yes.. because that is the only lastest, singlest, solitary, project _ever_ you can do for the next six-ish months and the good lord knows creating a plugin system for an application would be too far off the mark.. or squirreling yourself away and devising some frutie-looped way of doing it that beats so far outside of the conventional realm it may or may not come back.

So.. care to explain that comment?

Do you need pointed to our project lists?

edit:

Here are the project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Stuff you've created in VB.net doesn't have to be thrown away when you use C#. VB.net and C# are design to run on the .net CLR (or mono alternate implementation of the CLR). They can inter-operate with each or any other .net solution created in a different language. eg IronPython, IronRuby, Boo, F#, Nemerle. If you are targeting to use WinRT it can inter-operate C C++ Javascript.

So you free to choose which language is best suited a particular aspect of your task / project.

There is also plugin solution already written and extensively being used, is included in the .net framework (I think >= .net4.0. MEF (Managed Extensibility Framework). Then there the package manager NuGet.
Why go to trouble of creating a form designer?(It's a lot of work, i know in the past I've done it). When you reuse the one in Visual Studio?
You need to download the Visual Studio Development SDK

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 12 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 12 July 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Stuff you've created in VB.net doesn't have to be thrown away when you use C#. VB.net and C# are design to run on the .net CLR (or mono alternate implementation of the CLR). They can inter-operate with each or any other .net solution created in a different language. eg IronPython, IronRuby, Boo, F#, Nemerle. If you are targeting to use WinRT it can inter-operate C C++ Javascript.

So you free to choose which language is best suited a particular aspect of your task / project.

There is also plugin solution already written and extensively being used, is included in the .net framework (I think >= .net4.0. MEF (Managed Extensibility Framework). Then there the package manager NuGet.
Why go to trouble of creating a form designer?(It's a lot of work, i know in the past I've done it). When you reuse the one in Visual Studio?
You need to download the Visual Studio Development SDK

Uhh...
Thank you for telling me everything I already knew.
And, I want a FD just because I want one.
Problem?

And I haven't 'Thrown' anything away from vb I just want to get more involved in C# for many reasons
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1