3 Replies - 633 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Introducing Husoski

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I didn't see any guidance about what to put in this post, so "here goes nuthin..."

I go by Husoski, both here and at Yahoo! Answers. Don't ask about the handle. It's complicated.

I've been programming since the punched card days, starting with APL as a first language. (No, contrary to folklore, APL is not a "write-only language".) Lately, I use mostly Python, C++ and Java, though I have lots of experience in C and several assembler languages and can answer basic questions in C#, VB, Mangled (uh, "managed", I guess) C++, and some others.

I like OOP, but don't believe that it's the only way to code. I like Knuth better than Sedgewick (both are good), Dilbert better than xkcd (both are good), C# better than VB (at least one is good).

I think that the "goto" statement has a place in programming, just not a prominent place, and that reinventing the wheel is responsible for safer and more efficient wheels. Reinventing the 1/4"-20 hex nut is still stupid, mostly, and results in expensive auto parts. ("The whole is less than the sum of the parts", at least price-wise.)

I like to read articles and posts with intelligently differing opinions. One or more good things can happen: I could learn something new, or I can by reexamination learn more about a position that I continue to hold. It's possible for intelligent people to disagree. (This is something that politicans of all stripes and nationalities should learn.)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Introducing Husoski

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Introducing Husoski

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

FYI - there's a pinned thread ' "Introduce Yourself" Template '.

Welcome a'board!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Welcome, Husoski! It certainly sounds like you've got a lot of experience, and hopefully we can learn a thing or two! I mainly frequent the Java and Computer Science forums, but I do occasionally dabble in PHP. I've never heard of Mangled before. I look forward to seeing you around the community! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Welcome Husoski,

Im old enough to remember the punch cards also but it was being phased out when I started. Good to see a veteran here.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1