• +

17 Replies - 2815 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

#16 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much do you know?

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

I know enough that most people think I know more than that...

View Postrobrich22, on 17 July 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I feel like I'v got a very broad knowledge base in IT.

You're wrong. Seriously, people who feel they know a lot are boring. And stuck.

Continue to think the weight of what you don't know could beat you to death without working up a sweat. You'll go farther. And be less delusional.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#17 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Once it a while it's okay to look around and think "gosh, I've learned a lot in the last year". But if you've actually learned anything at all, each thing you've learned will have revealed to you half a dozen areas of abject ignorance that must be remedied, so this moment shouldn't last very long.

(Any time you think you've learned something, and you haven't found a handful of new things to learn in the process, you've probably not actually learned anything)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

How much do I know? Not nearly enough!

I started using HTML to build a small website back in the late 90's as a small lad(8-10yrs), and then around 2002 I started programming with PHP and MySQL and I like to think I got pretty good at that. But to date, 10 years later, I have not completed an entire application in PHP. I always preferred very specific problem solving and custom alg orithms. I lack the focus and drive to go through the whole software development lifetime cycle.

I attended DeVry online for 3 years, but have not earned a degree yet due to lack of magical money paper. But luckily, I completed most of my core classes and thus got to complete a majority of my IT / IS classes. I got a job a year ago for a company that develops and sells a point of sale system for salon and spas in the tech support department. Since then I feel like my knowledge has exploded. I went from writing broadband SQL statements and using code to filter out what I need, I learned proper SQL and got three more database engines under my belt(Oracle, Ms SQL, Access). I learned to much better navigate Windows on a level I had never before used. I'm learning how to write batch files. I learned how to use putty to update a firewall. I get to do my part on a team that manages thousands of customers on a network of 100 servers from both a front end(administration, etc) and DBA perspective. I've even had to contain some of my extra knowledge in my belly because my head is so full.

But I'm still thirsty(metaphorically speaking). I want to get better at programming, I have a high understanding of algorithm design overall, and a pretty decent understanding of the common "college" languages syntax(VB.NET, C++, Java, etc), but I lack full understanding of the languages more advanced functions. Outside of PHP, I am not a great developer. I would like to learn more of the DBA side of databases. I administrate data in my role, and find or myself having to often write custom statements, fix corrupt or incorrect information, but never administrate the actual servers. Speaking of servers, I want super server powers! I want to be able to bring up my own internet to run concurrently to this one! And NON-IT related subject matters as well. Blargggg!!

I'm dumb, need to study.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +