3 Replies - 977 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How desirable is it to specialize in Unix?

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

It looks as though many firms desire developers that have a background in the Unix OS. Does this make the candidate more... marketable? This would depend on the type of development background of the job (Windows developers would use Visual Basic or C#, for example).

I am having some difficulty coexisting Fedora on my Windows 8 laptop (I know this is not the correct forum for this issue in particular) but was wondering just how desirable a Unix background is. I, like most users, have been a lifelong Windows user.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How desirable is it to specialize in Unix?

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How desirable is it to specialize in Unix?

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Like you said, it is heavily industry based. If you're doing ANYTHING outside of .NET though you WILL want to learn it. Mac shop? That's nice, Mac is based on FreeBSD now which is a Unix derivative.

I would say that it would be good to get a brief overview of it no matter what you end up in. Knowing how to use Vim, Grep, Sed, Find, File permissions (chmod/etc) and piping would be useful for a basics run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Extra knowledge is never a bad thing. Sure, run a live CD of Ubuntu, etc, and pick up how to maneuver around, install, and admin a setup. It doesn't take that much to draw parallels in OS management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

You don't *need* to know it where I work, but you certainly had better not be afraid of it, and even the slightest amount of familiarity imparts a noticeable productivity boost.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1