6 Replies - 301 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How sophisticated at a professional level?

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

Hi there,

I have been bothered by a rather broad question lately. I've been teaching myself python for around 4-5 months and django for around 2 months; at this point I can make a database driven site with users, user profiles, app scripts with cron, use south to modify models, work a unix box. Haven't gotten the front-end side down yet(probably Twitter BS or some other easily workable front-end framework)

I plan to make this a profession(hopefully :\) after I graduate from college(Business admin degree), and my question is - how sophisticated does your level of knowledge need to be to be accepted as a junior dev somewhere?

I mean, I love writing code and all, but I just feel like all the projects I make (4-5 models per app) look too simple for anyone to ever hire me to do this professionally.(and there's no way I can test it out either, because junior dev job descriptions are terrifyingly needy)

TL;DR - How sophisticated/complex was the code-base at the last place you worked at/are working at? I'm not necessarily talking like neural networks or machine learning, but rather django news sites or ecommerce sites etc.

p.s. I realize 5-6 months of exposure might sound like very, very little, and perhaps my question just sounds naive to some of you who are experienced, but I don't have any mentors or anything(not a CS student, remember? :)/>)

Cheers,
Marty.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How sophisticated at a professional level?

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How sophisticated at a professional level?

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

A pretty global problem I kept running into as well. The thing isn't necessarily complexity, as much as finished projects.

The question you need to ask yourself, and this will be harsh, is why in the world would someone want you? What value do you add, what can you do for them? If you can answer those easily you're well on your way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

You'll need a portfolio website, as you don't have a degree in Computer Science. Coming from a business background could be a very, very strong point in getting a job in software/web development, but you have to be able to show that you can actually do software/web development.

I know this because I do not have a degree, but I've been doing web development since I was 13 and professionally since I was 19.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

It would likely be a HUGE benefit to you to spend some serious time figuring out front end coding and design as well... many places do not differentiate between a backend developer and a frontend developer. You're just expected to be able to do both.

From my perspective, if you were to show me a brilliant backend system, but your frontend looks like Geocities 1996, I'm going to have serious concerns about hiring you. I want to see clean and professional all the way around. And I want to know you can do it without some form of code generator.

And last I checked, Twitter was its own entity, not a frontend framework.

On a side note: Even WITH my degree, it was difficult to get into the industry without a portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 26 July 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

[...]
if you were to show me a brilliant backend system, but your frontend looks like Geocities 1996, I'm going to have serious concerns
[...]

Thanks - you just philosophically joined one of my club rules and programming views.

Stellar.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Twitter Bootstrap, css framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

I stand corrected. And I learned something new today. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1