Best Laptop for a university student? (CompSci major)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2228 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Laptop for a university student? (CompSci major)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hello everyone, I was wondering what would be the best laptop for programming. I am currently using my Macbook Pro not the newest one; I have been using this laptop for 3 years, and it is getting really laggy.... I guess my priority is fast and portable. Im not gonna play games on my laptop but watch videos so I was also wondering if my graphic card had to be top class.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Laptop for a university student? (CompSci major)

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Best Laptop for a university student? (CompSci major)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

I like Asus--- since you might be using VS, a Microsoft compatible product might be the best way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

This questions gets asked more then anything else. Starting to get annoying. Honestly, any (newer) laptop with a screen, a keyboard and a mouse pad will work. Unless your crunching quantum physics or complex graphic intensive programs, why would you spend 1-2 grand for something that honestly all you need is notepad++ or bare minimum specs to run your IDE?

I feel like college students use this excuse and get it in there head that " hey I'm going to college so let me spend tons of money on a laptop, cuz you know, I'll be coding the next windows or facebook".

Whether it's an AMD or intel, 4gb or 8gb, 250gb hd or 500hd, on-board or pci-e video card.. I'm pretty sure it will handle your "Hello World" app. Save some money and don't get that "god" laptop and be ready to pay off your student loans instead.

This post has been edited by shezzy: 24 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postshezzy, on 24 July 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

This questions gets asked more then anything else. Starting to get annoying. Honestly, any (newer) laptop with a screen, a keyboard and a mouse pad will work. Unless your crunching quantum physics or complex graphic intensive programs, why would you spend 1-2 grand for something that honestly all you need is notepad++ or bare minimum specs to run your IDE?

I feel like college students use this excuse and get it in there head that " hey I'm going to college so let me spend tons of money on a laptop, cuz you know, I'll be coding the next windows or facebook".

Whether it's an AMD or intel, 4gb or 8gb, 250gb hd or 500hd, on-board or pci-e video card.. I'm pretty sure it will handle your "Hello World" app. Save some money and don't get that "god" laptop and be ready to pay off your student loans instead.

i get your point but im done with those hello world apps just for your information. i actually do make programs, and it gets laggy when running my ide and fx scene builder on my current laptop and i want a laptop that wont get laggy in 2 years. something that will last me through college? dont spaz.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postshezzy, on 24 July 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

There is truth to what you say, but you are missing something crucial. The human brain functions better and learns faster when it is comfortable with its working environment. This extends to a virtual environment. If you have a dream-machine specifically procured for the sole purpose of education, beautifully customised to your own model of perfection, I would expect at least a decent improvement in mental capacity. Perhaps coincidence, but when I started out learning on a dell inspiron, 5 years old, borrowed from my dad, learning was a chore. Now, on my own custom built workstation, learning is more fun than the games it can run. (It can run any game).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

How about we start with basic discovery.

1. What is your current laptop's make, model, specs, etc.
2. What is your issues with it (is there a specific game you can't play, a specific IDE that isn't working as well, etc).
3. What are you expecting this new machine to do?
4. What is your budget?
5. Any specific bindings you want for an OS, brand loyalty, etc?

View PostFlukeshot, on 24 July 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

... snip ...
If you have a dream-machine specifically procured for the sole purpose of education, beautifully customised to your own model of perfection, I would expect at least a decent improvement in mental capacity.
... snip ..

A few things - first it's a laptop. Let's be honest - "beautifully customized" is severely lacking.
Second - it is hard to recommend a "dream-machine" when the dream is not outlined.
Third - the "sole purpose of education" for someone heading to college? Ha.. let's be honest - pron, video games, and watching cat videos will be the sole purpose. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

How about we start with basic discovery.

1. What is your current laptop's make, model, specs, etc.
2. What is your issues with it (is there a specific game you can't play, a specific IDE that isn't working as well, etc).
3. What are you expecting this new machine to do?
4. What is your budget?
5. Any specific bindings you want for an OS, brand loyalty, etc?

1. Apple Macbook Pro 13-inch 2010, processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB Also Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
2. Laggy, which makes me frustrated when im already dealing with an error from my program or trying to understand a concept; really not abt the games...
3. Just be durable and portable and somewhat comfortable to watch movies on (not really picky abt the movies thing)
4. $800-1500 (may vary)
5. not so picky on OS.. willing to try new brands (but i think windows will be more convenient)

Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Okay what about hard drive? How big is it currently? Do you need a lot of storage?
Are you married to the ultrabook idea?
Also what IDE?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Okay what about hard drive? How big is it currently? Do you need a lot of storage?
Are you married to the ultrabook idea?
Also what IDE?

my harddrive is 250GB and i think thats enough. also ultrabook as in macbook air 13inch kind or the new samsung laptop that is detachable kind of thing? i would prefer screen size of 13 inch. Lastly i currently use intelliJ, but i am trying to find something else cuz my highschool wanted us to use intelliJ as it is much more beginner friendly(?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Coolbeans.

There's this:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834314167

Acer Aspire V7 Intel Core i7 8GB 500GB HDD+20GB SSD 15.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook Cold Steel (V7-582PG-9856-U) $899.99

... or you know you find something that has at least 8gb of ram, a newer processor, bigger screen, and decent hard drive and you are set.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Coolbeans.

There's this:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834314167

Acer Aspire V7 Intel Core i7 8GB 500GB HDD+20GB SSD 15.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook Cold Steel (V7-582PG-9856-U) $899.99

... or you know you find something that has at least 8gb of ram, a newer processor, bigger screen, and decent hard drive and you are set.

THANKS ALOT! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hello everyone, I was wondering what would be the best laptop for programming. I am currently using my Macbook Pro not the newest one; I have been using this laptop for 3 years, and it is getting really laggy.

A three year old laptop is not dated, I did my entire undergraduate program in Computer Engineering with the same Mac Book pro. Find out what is making your computer "laggy" and fix it. I noticed my MBP was a little "laggy" at one point and found that I was swapping out to disk (two many concurrent programs running). I doubled my memory to 8GB and everything has been running great.

Remember, you don't always need the new "hotness", learning to fix - what you think - is a slower computer in more beneficial than just buying a brand new one.

Worst comes to worst, back up all your data and reinstall the OS on your harddrive, I promise your laptop will be faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

... but the warm fuzzy feelz! I needs 'um to learn!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postjjl, on 24 July 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Hello everyone, I was wondering what would be the best laptop for programming. I am currently using my Macbook Pro not the newest one; I have been using this laptop for 3 years, and it is getting really laggy.

A three year old laptop is not dated, I did my entire undergraduate program in Computer Engineering with the same Mac Book pro. Find out what is making your computer "laggy" and fix it. I noticed my MBP was a little "laggy" at one point and found that I was swapping out to disk (two many concurrent programs running). I doubled my memory to 8GB and everything has been running great.

Remember, you don't always need the new "hotness", learning to fix - what you think - is a slower computer in more beneficial than just buying a brand new one.

Worst comes to worst, back up all your data and reinstall the OS on your harddrive, I promise your laptop will be faster.

yea, I did reinstall my OS several times and I am trying to find replacement parts thanks for the advice!

Also i was hoping to get a new LIGHT laptop cuz i live 1 hour from my uni and i need to use public transportation so it gets reli heavy with my books and my laptop etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

A few things - first it's a laptop. Let's be honest - "beautifully customized" is severely lacking.

How so? I have a "beautifully customised" laptop and it can do everything I'd possibly need to ask of it. Sure, it's not as powerful as a desktop and it's not even top spec by last years standards, but it does its job and does it well. I estimate that a typical college student would use about as much of a top spec desktops capacity as they use their own brain. (The theory being that we humans use only 10% of our brains overall potential). We're looking for portability without hampering our ability to work - that costs money.

Second - it is hard to recommend a "dream-machine" when the dream is not outlined.

Noted. However, I was merely defending the OP from, what I thought was, an overly harsh criticism of his question. If he wants my advice on searching for a laptop.. Avoid "value" brands.

Third - the "sole purpose of education" for someone heading to college? Ha.. let's be honest - pron, video games, and watching cat videos will be the sole purpose. ;)

I swear I only watched one cat video on my new laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +