3 Replies - 795 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2013 - 07:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASP Vs mysql

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hello, my question is relatively simple (I hope):

I have an asp site I had built 5+ years ago and have rested it. I am now working on bring it back to life (e.g. fine tuning graphics and page flows etc.), but wondering if my time would be well spent converting it to mysql (e.g. php), or if I should leave well enough alone (it is somewhere in the 200+ page range, and has some cool functions for ecommerce -- a home advertising site). I eventually want to roll it out as an iphone app, and make available on android (i.e. tablets/phones etc.)

I need it to be secure, as users transact purchases through it and store some personal info etc.

Currently it is just asp (ties to msaccess 2003), and I know nothing (yet :)/> about converting to aspx, but assume I'll need to at least do that if I stay with current architecture.

Anyway, educated feedback would be much appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASP Vs mysql

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP Vs mysql

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

It's not an issue of asp vs mysql ( that is comparing a web page language with a database). With out knowing the structure you can certainly use php, asp.net, or what ever you feel like.

Certainly do *not* use an access db as the back end.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

thanks for your reply. Honestly the thot of rewriting the entire site is overwhelming, so I'll plan 2 keep the site as is. But changing the database is also daunting (LOTS of tables). Can you elaborate on why you say to not use access as back end? (I'm probably making converting it harder in my mind than it really will be??)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

MSAccess is typically a one user at a time personal, local machine, DB. To think it would run on a back end is just not effective. the table creation on access is very close sql to MYSQL so it shouldn't be a problem. MYSQL is built for multiple access, reads, writes, and table management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1