3 Replies - 340 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Responsive Web Design

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm just curious. What do you all think about responsive web design? I made a demo site last week using this book. I thought it was pretty interesting. However, in chapter 5, the author poses a question, Should you build a responsive website? For the answer, he says that it depends on several factors such as performance, content, time, support, advertising, etc. He also mentions that if possible, the web developer should make use of the flexibility of media queries for stand-alone mobile sites. So, for you web developers out there, if you had the time, money, support, etc. would you build a stand-alone mobile site along with its desktop version, or would you attempt to implement a responsive design and scratch the mobile version. I thought the purpose of responsive design was to be adaptive and eliminate the need for two websites (mobile and desktop). Your thoughts?

P.S. The author does give his reasons why you shouldn't throw mobile sites out of the window but for the sake of this discussion, I'm interested in you all's thoughts. Thanks :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Responsive Web Design

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Responsive Web Design

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well some sites would just take too much time and work to simply make them responsive. For instance, I work for a company which has a CMS which never took the time to do a great job of separating views from content. So I can't simply put a responsive skin on the outside of it and have the content just naturally flow into it. Some old websites are just like that.

In this case I am advocating a separate mobile site which may lead to some duplication, but at least the mobile site will be done correctly from a view/content perspective.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

I've ran into cases like what Martyr2 said, and in these cases, a lot of it has to do with budgeting. If the client can pay for it and is interested, make it responsive. For these cases, you may be able to build and run a PHP script that would grab all the content on each individual page and reorganize it. For instance, if all content lies in:

<div id="content">
HELLO WORLD
</div>

...A div with the id of content, you could screen scrape for just that content.

In every other case, I'd push for responsive design. I'd push for responsive design over device-detection mobile websites too. I've written a blog article fully detailing this, ironically, but in short, the largest reason is RD more cost-effective DD websites. Device detection costs more than responsive design overall, due to testing and the building of multiple different websites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 26 July 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Well some sites would just take too much time and work to simply make them responsive. For instance, I work for a company which has a CMS which never took the time to do a great job of separating views from content. So I can't simply put a responsive skin on the outside of it and have the content just naturally flow into it. Some old websites are just like that.

In this case I am advocating a separate mobile site which may lead to some duplication, but at least the mobile site will be done correctly from a view/content perspective.

:)

So basically, if a site has already been built and it has complex functionality to it such as PHP, CMS, eCommerce, etc, it's probably better to build a mobile version. On the other hand, if the site has not been built or is smaller such as a brochure site or personal portfolio, then RD is probably good to go because of budgeting/time constraints, etc. Is that correct?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1