2 Replies - 190 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for help in deciding an environment

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

hi Community,

I am currently working in a group project to develop a website for a business client or an organization. We've just made our choice to build a website for a non profit organization. The website will have a few pages with pictures and information, events and an application process to become members or donators to the church. I am guessing we may need a database for this website also. After the initial planning and business requirements stages, I would like to know if there is an online collaboration or tool that my group can use to edit and manage the website together. Are there any open source environments that can provide free tools and online database for us to use? Thanks.

Steve

This post has been edited by Atli: 26 July 2013 - 09:04 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed the size tags. No good reason to make the whole post smaller.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for help in deciding an environment

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for help in deciding an environment

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

What kind of "environment" are you talking about? Like a platform you can use to edit website content: a CMS like Drupal or Joomla? Or are you talking about a collaborative software development environment, like Github or Bitbucket?

There are a few sites that provide free hosting for websites, including databases, but honestly I wouldn't rely on them for anything that's meant to be... used. There are pretty good paid hosts out there that will host small sites for a few dollars per month. Those would be far preferable in my opinion.

What kind of "environment" are you talking about? Like a platform you can use to edit website content: a CMS like Drupal or Joomla? Or are you talking about a collaborative software development environment, like Github or Bitbucket?

There are a few sites that provide free hosting for websites, including databases, but honestly I wouldn't rely on them for anything that's meant to be... used. There are pretty good paid hosts out there that will host small sites for a few dollars per month. Those would be far preferable in my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Looking for help in deciding an environment

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

I would like something that isn't too complex and easy to use. An environment that another student can also log on and make changes on the fly to the website and database during the development stages. Are there tools available that are free to develop in and you'll only have to pay once you publish the site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1