How was your experience when you used Linux for the first time?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 3772 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How was your experience when you used Linux for the first time?

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

I felt like I was dropping myself on a desolate, esoteric, alien island when I replaced Windows with Linux. It was refreshing, exciting, and liberating to the point where it makes me nostalgic. Kubuntu brings this feeling to mind.

After that, I used Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for months, only dropping it for short-lived Arch Linux, Kubuntu, and Windows 8 stints. I use OS X now, which works fine for my purposes, but my AWS server still runs good old Ubuntu. I would be dual-booting Mac and Linux, but Linux doesn't like my Retina display.

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 05 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

My first experience with linux was when a friend brought a live cd to high school and we used it to by-pass every single "block" (Could only open certain applications/web pages)they had put on the computers.

Since then I've been using linux mint (dual booting) for just about everything. I still prefer Microsoft Word over open-office and I need windows to use a lot of engineering applications that I need at school (CAD,ISE).

I prefer developing on a linux machine, but at work I need to use windows :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

My first experience was bad and my primary interest were games at the time so Linux had little to offer me. I've had to work with some code that all but demanded *nix be used for the past 2 months so I've been using it now. I've also been trying to setup a small cluster using Ubuntu; this has been a real bitch of an issue. I'd been using Ubuntu 12 but now I'm using Mint 15 and I like it much better (it feels more natural coming form windows). I've sense decided that I like Linux a lot better for development so on my new computer I have Mint 15 and Windows 7. Windows is for after work, Mint is for work. This school year I'm going to try doing my all school work (except maybe a class I'm taking that uses C# for some reason) on Linux to get more familiar with it. Having turn-key installation of so much at hand (packages, makefiles, and other scripts) makes more technical work much nicer. Trying to build a large bit of software with GCC on windows is often a huge pain even with MinGW. On linux I just type "make" and poof, it works first try. Still, I like playing games and built my desktop to play games so I switch between linux and windows now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

My first experience with Linux was pretty positive. Redhat 7.1 I believe. I don't remember the year, but a friend of mine showed it to me and it felt very natural. He had spent a lot of time configuring it to feel that way, I later learned, but I copied that config and loved Redhat. I used to use it exclusively. Then games started getting really shitty about running on Linux to the point I decided it was easier to just use Windows XP. "Close your eyes and think of England" as they say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

It was 2011 when I entered into the DreamInCode IRC channel, which eventually got me into both Linux and programming. The folks mentioned it much, so I just got curious and wished to try, after all, I got bored of the old cracked Russian build of Windows XP that came with my PC. For some magical reason I picked Fedora (not a wise choice I know), so after a failed installation I got myself a corrupted partition table and had to return to Windows (this time 7). However after some time I wanted to attempt installation once more. I successfully installed Fedora 14 and have been a member of the Fedora community until the people in the same channel (already moved to FreeNode from EFNet) persuaded me to try Ubuntu, which I run as of now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I dislike linux because I like windows. Visual Studio and all the games and software available for windows. I've tried ubuntu and did not like it. Having no exe's and having to use the 'terminal' all the time.

This post has been edited by aaron1178: 30 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Postaaron1178, on 25 August 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

Shit. Will never ever use linux.

Why not?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

My first experience with a Linux-like environment was actually with Unix many years ago.
I didn't find it too bad. You got accustomed to typing fast and having a lot of control at your fingertips. It took a while to remember all the hot-keys and command options but, after that, work got done fast.

It was many years later that I touched Linux (gentoo) again--briefly--and got more into it. Did a little work in vi and vim, and touched several other features.

Most recently, I am playing with Ubuntu. But I am not doing anything serious with it. Just playing at home, working through the GUI to do some Office-like tasks, surfing the Web, ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have a partition on my C: drive. What would be the first, and simplest, step to get a minimalist version of linux bunged onto it (Windows 8)?

I can search a find a number of options and guides, but I'm hoping someone here knows the simplest approach/version. (I didn't think it worth starting a new topic as I'm just looking for a quick pointer - ta.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

The simplest? Use a live cd.

Load it in RAM.. reboot when done..

The next - install it on a VM. Play as desired.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Depends on the version. Ubuntu's installer is pretty good at dealing with partitions, so if you're using that or anything based on it (Mint is one) it should be pretty simple to do from a CD or USB stick. I imagine other distros probably have similarly easy installs, but I know for sure this is the case with Ubuntu and variants.

Running from a live CD is a reasonable option to try stuff out, but it's just as easy to install. VM is also a nice option if you want to try other distros, but it can be annoying - particularly managing input devices (who gets the input, the guest OS, or the host? it's not a nightmare, but it can get to be a drag)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#27 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks both.

I just fancied trying it out (see what I'm missing!), so running from a disc or USB sounds appealing. I've downloaded a short pdf for Mint, just glanced and it mentions an ISO so it should be simples to mount to a DVD.

Maybe I'll blog - depends how interesting I find the experience :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Maybe I'll blog - depends how interesting I find the experience

I'd read that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

I generally love all *nix-based systems. When I was a student I was almost exclusively using UNIX for my programming work, so Linux is a natural progression for me.

I find Windows so flimsy in comparison that I completely dumped it in the last year or so, and would only use Widows if paid work demands it. Linux and Mac is my thing now. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

My first Linux experience was with Ubuntu Dapper Drake. I remember thinking to myself how amazing using sudo apt-get install was for installing software. All it asked me for was my password and that's it. Plus the tons of free software available was fantastic back in the day.

These days I main Mac OSX, but if I had to return to Linux, I would use Linux Mint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +