How was your experience when you used Linux for the first time?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 4163 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How was your experience when you used Linux for the first time?

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I used it via FTP and Telnet back in the late 90s early 00s. I basically got familiar with the commands and such. It was actually a really cool concept the server had, it was something for penetration testing, and they would setup little missions for you and you would have to figure out how to accomplish it.

Later on, I eventually got sick of windows and the endless amounts of malware, bad design and various bugs (this was vista, but still) so I finally downloaded a copy of Linux for myself. It was Ubuntu 8.10. I loved it and never looked back. I was amazed that I was able to customize EVERYTHING. I never considered the fact that I can even change window managers or entire DEs. I felt so unrestricted. I don't really use Windows or OSX at all anymore.

Distros of choice: Kubuntu and Mandriva. Any distro that uses KDE well I will enjoy.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 11 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

When I first used Linux, I realized everything I knew about computers was a lie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

My first time using Linux was... painful.

I had a store-bought Packard Bell computer that I dual booted windows with slackware 3 I think it was.

Anyway, for some reason X never started properly so I spent the first 3 months or so using it from straight bash shell. That was interesting enough. I was heavily into C back then and gcc was at my disposal so I just wrote little programs here and there and tried to learn how to navigate.

Well, eventually I did get X working after copious printouts while in windows and then shifting over to Linux to try them out. Once it started - I was flabbergasted. It looked awful but it was certainly a GUI.

Anyway, now that I had a UI to work in, the first step was to get online so I wouldn't have to switch between windows and Linux any longer. Guess what? Winmodem... yep, couldn't get online to save my life. I ended up buying an external modem I believe and got online.

Once I pulled that off, it became somewhat enjoyable but was still majorly lacking in my opinion.

Years later (just recently in fact) I have installed Linux Mint 15 and so far am enjoying it quite well. I don't like how eclipse looks on it but that's OK. I have a lot to learn and a lot to tinker with. I also love how apt-get works and git and svn and all that good stuff. I've been grabbing countless trunks every day just because I can.

I really like where Linux is going though. I'm excited for the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

my first experience with linux, let's just say i accidentally deleted my home folder, but then again i had no clue what i was doing, and no clue on how to fix it :D, couple of years later i started work in a company that used linux extensively, since then i have been using non stop. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

My first experience of Linux was painful... very painful.

I was very comfortable with Windows and could get to what I want to get to quickly and easily - I know it's shortcut's it's pitfalls etc. When something goes wrong I feel it gives me enough info (most of the time) to head down a path which will ultimately lead to a solution.

Linux the first few times just didn't work... and I couldn't find out where it would tell me why. It didn't give me much to search for to get help - I was just kind of stuck.

Help documentation is miles better now but back 7/8 years ago when I started to play I would want to connect to a windows share so you would search and get little bits of information fragmented - Ah you need Samba for that here's how you install it on Red Hat with this RPM (which of course doesn't work on debian based operating systems) so a quick search for installing Samba on ubuntu returned what felt like hundreds of packages each cryptically named something similar to Samba and wanting to be in control (which many people believe is a strength of linux) installing all of them felt completely the opposite of that. Getting into the nitty gritty of exactly what package i needed to do this was difficult with relatively poor documentation (which is still prevalent with certain things) was difficult and it lead there being a lot of trial and error (and re-builds if you don't know how to put config's back to what they were!!) but in Windows I can be in the share in seconds, or I could reconfigure whatever needed re-configuring in a couple of minutes.

Even once installed you generally had to be root to do that - there is ways around it no doubt but it's a lot of documentation trawling again and unless you did all this a lot it wasn't going to be the type of commands you would remember how to do...

I like Linux a lot but I don't feel as comfortable in it as I do in Windows, the experience is for me a bit clunky but it is powerful, its secure etc - my primary wish is for some form of standardization - apache in ubuntu will be in one location which changes for fedora/centosa and other relative minor but annoying things like multiple 600 line config files does not make for easy administration
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

After downloading the 11 floppy disks that it took to install linux sometime in 1993 and installing it I though "Hmm, someone has copied unix. What's the point of that?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +