Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

15 Replies - 2036 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2013 - 09:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 busta5000  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: -7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 08-March 08

Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hello me & my team are developers we are 6 we developed a traffic application that we submited to UAE authorities to use it for their systems anyways 3 of us are going to develop a strategy game now we have 1 graphics designer & animator & 2 programmers I am lead programmers 1 programmer to develop a game code me & the other to implement game server using java so he will work with java & I will work with cocoa. Anyways I do not want a complete tutorial I have actually made small games non are strategy what I want is simple I want the logic of creating a code for a game like if you can give me pseudo code or a hello world like example but with a strategy in mind what I am looking for is tile based strategy game like clash of clans I am developing the game for ios but I might get an android developer if the game is done. Anyways if you have tutorials or give me feedback that would be helpful I have a deadline & I hope I can finish the game within the deadline 28/10/2013 I hope thats not too much to ask btw my team we work around ~17 hours a day program all day long we talk to each other get code & feedback all the time so I think we could develop a good quality strategy game within 3 months.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10669
  • View blog
  • Posts: 39,635
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Quote

I want the logic of creating a code for a game like if you can give me pseudo code or a hello world like example but with a strategy in mind what I am looking for is tile based strategy game like clash of clans

I don't mean to be rude, but these games aren't simple, and there probably isn't a comprehensive tutorial for creating a strategy game. Big projects involve you sitting down and actually thinking through things. If you aren't at a point where you can begin conceptualizing requirements and architecture for this type of project, you aren't ready to tackle it.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#3 aaron1178  Icon User is offline

  • Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

Reputation: 169
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,299
  • Joined: 22-October 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I understand that you might speak a foreign language as your primary language and that is fine. This board is English based and we would like that you try and use correct English and grammar. As of current, with your original post, I cannot understand a thing your are saying and cannot understand what you would like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Atli  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3719
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,991
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

So, just to sum up. You have 2 programmers, 1 artist, no clear overall design, no clear idea of how to create said design, and three months to finish the project?

Realistically, this is an impossibility. I wouldn't count on this getting done in time even if you had a lead developer with experience with this type of development, a ready design, and a larger team of developers working on implementing it. Three months is little time to create a complex piece of software from the ground up, like the kind of strategy game you are describing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 anonymous26  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,638
  • Joined: 26-November 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postbusta5000, on 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

... I am lead programmers 1 programmer ...

No you are not. Not even close. By virtue of being a lead programmer you will have had experience of making such games and would not have to come of a forum asking how to get started with the code - you would know that already, possibly already having the code base implemented to let your other programmer work from that.

View Postbusta5000, on 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

...so I think we could develop a good quality strategy game within 3 months.

You have no chance whatoever! None.

You are clearly one of those who believes they can magic up a game based on absolutely nothing. I have more than enough experience as an individual, in small teams and in large teams in very good studios to know that this will not work out.

Work as a team in a very, very small game and see if you all can see that through to completion.

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 27 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 busta5000  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: -7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 147
  • Joined: 08-March 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

View PostAtli, on 27 July 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

So, just to sum up. You have 2 programmers, 1 artist, no clear overall design, no clear idea of how to create said design, and three months to finish the project?

Realistically, this is an impossibility. I wouldn't count on this getting done in time even if you had a lead developer with experience with this type of development, a ready design, and a larger team of developers working on implementing it. Three months is little time to create a complex piece of software from the ground up, like the kind of strategy game you are describing.


View PostButchDean, on 27 July 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

View Postbusta5000, on 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

... I am lead programmers 1 programmer ...

No you are not. Not even close. By virtue of being a lead programmer you will have had experience of making such games and would not have to come of a forum asking how to get started with the code - you would know that already, possibly already having the code base implemented to let your other programmer work from that.

View Postbusta5000, on 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

...so I think we could develop a good quality strategy game within 3 months.

You have no chance whatoever! None.

You are clearly one of those who believes they can magic up a game based on absolutely nothing. I have more than enough experience as an individual, in small teams and in large teams in very good studios to know that this will not work out.

Work as a team in a very, very small game and see if you all can see that through to completion.


The designer actually is a good artist he worked with bitmap & blender also hes a fast learner. Many people here say 3 months is impossible I saw with my own eye a guy made an fps game within hours using Unity & I have asked if I can make strategy games using unity they said its possible if you write the code well that's good like A.I movement around a block etc. I already have a library of books about game development & AI game development & strategy game development books I also went to http://www.raywenderlich.com/ this site is a great site for small scale ios development I did allot of examples there. Also guys remember I am making an IOS game not a PC game nor a console game those games are smaller scale I am not saying its easy for crying out load ~17hours a day every day for 3 months is not enough even to create a clone prototype. I am not a kid here I am a developer I am not asking how to make a game I know that what I want is to consider a strategy game what are the key elements to consider. Also I can talk to the leader who wants this project within 3 months we can deliver it later.


In short, you have 3 adults that can actually make the team up to 6 if in our progress report we need staff in a particular area like we need 1 more artist 1 sound guy 2 other programmers. All of us work as I said ~17 hours a day you think that (17*30)*3=1530 hours dedicated to this game is not enough also we have books I am not here to ask how to develop a game what I want is a pseudo code or logic of creating a strategy game since all I have done are smaller games like jumping & running games. I want to ask you guys also where can developers go ask questions if not here since people here assume kids or people new to programming ask this question. Where can game developers ask questions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 aaron1178  Icon User is offline

  • Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

Reputation: 169
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,299
  • Joined: 22-October 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

So you intend to work on this game for 17 hours, 7 days a week, for 3 months? Well, there would be no way I'd work for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10669
  • View blog
  • Posts: 39,635
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Quote

I am not here to ask how to develop a game what I want is a pseudo code or logic of creating a strategy game

Again- I am very much of the opinion that if you can't begin to develop the architecture, you personally are going to be ineffectual on the team, regardless of the rest of your team members' competencies. This isn't a program where you can copy pseudo-code like for bubblesort or a newbie diamond asterisk program. If you really show a good faith effort on your architecture, I'm sure you can get some good feedback here. I really doubt that someone is just going to design your program for you. Be realistic here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 anonymous26  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,638
  • Joined: 26-November 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

A lot of people get offended when they either just can't get the help that they believe exists out there when it doesn't, or their egos are damaged when they are quickly hit with the truth that what they want to do versus what they can do just doesn't match up.

Clearly you expected a pat on the back and to be taken seriously as a game developer. What inexperienced developers miss is that the amount of respect you earn as a game dev is directly proportional to the QUALITY of the game that you either created yourself or as part of a team. Creating the most simple games, or not completing game projects does not earn you respect - you need to know that.

For the record you were taken seriously, just that you don't take game development seriously and that was brought to your attention which you clearly didn't like.

Expect a lot of knock backs in games, it comes with the territory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#10 BBeck  Icon User is offline

  • Here to help.
  • member icon


Reputation: 581
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,292
  • Joined: 24-April 12

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

*
POPULAR

View Postbusta5000, on 27 July 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hello me & my team are developers we are 6 we developed a traffic application that we submited to UAE authorities to use it for their systems anyways 3 of us are going to develop a strategy game now we have 1 graphics designer & animator & 2 programmers I am lead programmers 1 programmer to develop a game code me & the other to implement game server using java so he will work with java & I will work with cocoa. Anyways I do not want a complete tutorial I have actually made small games non are strategy what I want is simple I want the logic of creating a code for a game like if you can give me pseudo code or a hello world like example but with a strategy in mind what I am looking for is tile based strategy game like clash of clans I am developing the game for ios but I might get an android developer if the game is done. Anyways if you have tutorials or give me feedback that would be helpful I have a deadline & I hope I can finish the game within the deadline 28/10/2013 I hope thats not too much to ask btw my team we work around ~17 hours a day program all day long we talk to each other get code & feedback all the time so I think we could develop a good quality strategy game within 3 months.



I think a lot of the reason that you are not getting the answer that you want here is that everyone is shocked that you would ask for a tutorial on creating a strategy game when you are part of 6 man team with the intent of producing an actual game.

First, what is a strategy game? Chess? Checkers? A Tower Defense game? A historical battle simulator? Pac-man? Mine-Craft? Poker? Magic the card game? Just to say that its a strategy game does not say much. Most games have a strategy element.

Generally, I would expect that if someone were making a strategy game they would have a very deep understanding of the "strategy" of the game, and at most have a problem with knowing how to code it. For example, if you were going to make a Chess game, you would not start from nothing and expect to produce a chess game. You would become an expert Chess player and understand all of the strategies that the computer might use to win against the human player.

In other words, for a strategy game, it's all about the "mechanics". How the pieces move and how things work is the game. The strategy is the difficult part. And if you are inventing a new strategy game, then I think most game programmers would expect you to have the strategy of the game already. Possibly, you might have difficulty knowing exactly how to write that in computer code, but you should be able to explain it on paper before you ever write your first line of computer code. If you cannot make it work without the computer, if you cannot "play the game" on paper, then you are probably not ready to write computer code.

If I were inventing a strategy game, I would put together the entire game on paper. I would write down all of the rules of the game on paper. I might create a game board out of card board and pieces out of card board. But I would sit down and play the game with other people using pen and paper by following the rules I had written down. If you cannot play the game without a computer, you are probably not ready to write code, especially for a game that has a main focus of strategy. Even for something like a tower defense game, that doesn't lend itself to playing with pen and paper quite so well, I might still be inclined to play it on pen and paper first by defining my rules on paper and using cardboard cutouts and such.

Second, I think the term "strategy game" is extremely generic. I would expect almost every strategy game to be different. I would expect that a new strategy game that is not just another version of something we've all seen before to be so different that any tutorial on "how to write a strategy game" would be almost useless.

I have not seen that many books or tutorials on how to write specific types of games. Most of the ones that I have seen have not been all that good. But they are always very generic and mostly show you what is extremely "typical". I don't think I've ever seen one that covers "strategy games" or even really involves any strategy. They are usually more like "How to create a side-scroller." or "How to create a First Person Shooter." But strategy is one thing they tend to kind of leave out. In a First Person Shooter tutorial they might show how to make the models shoot one another, but I don't think any of them ever go into the game mechanics about the strategy of challenging the player. They don't go into how different weapons mathematically affect the statistics of the game, for example. The "strategy" is the part they always leave out.

I don't know what kind of strategy game you guys are trying to put together. I think most game developers are going to expect you to have the "strategy" before you start thinking about making a game. Ideally, someone on the team should have created, at least, a handful of small scale strategy games and know how to direct everyone else what to do.

I don't know you guys or exactly what you are trying to do. But what I would suggest is everyone sit down and "invent a game". I mean, sit down with pen and paper, write down all the rules of the game, put together a cardboard version of the game, and have the whole team play the game. It seems to me, that if you cannot create a pen and paper version of your strategy game, that you probably will not be able to code the game into the computer.

The other advantage to sitting down and playing the game with card board and pen and paper rules is that you can see design flaws. The team can decide what is fun about the game and what is not fun about the game before you even begin to write code. And some member of the team may come up with an idea on how to make it even more fun.

I believe that the type of book that you need is more on "game theory" than on "strategy games". If I were going to look for tutorials, or especially books I would look into "game theory" and possibly some of the math involved, such as statistics. But then again, I would expect to study game theory, statistics, and such long before trying to use that knowledge as part of a team. Generally, learning to put games together is something that you expect to learn over many many years.

But really, if you can put together a fun game with pen, paper, and cardboard, that's all you really need. If you can do that, then with a little bit of computer knowledge you can make it into a computer game that works basically the same way. If it's fun when you sit down and play it at a table, it will almost certainly still be fun when you code it into the computer.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 28 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#11 anonymous26  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,638
  • Joined: 26-November 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostBBeck, on 28 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think a lot of the reason that you are not getting the answer that you want here is that everyone is shocked that you would ask for a tutorial on creating a strategy game when you are part of 6 man team with the intent of producing an actual game.

Got it in one!

By virtue of being a six-man team they should be collaborating with their research and findings to formulate unique solution. A programming team with six members not knowing where to start is downright ridiculous.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 gabehabe  Icon User is offline

  • GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon




Reputation: 1382
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,962
  • Joined: 06-February 08

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Why is this thread featured when all anyone's done is ridicule the OP?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#13 anonymous26  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,638
  • Joined: 26-November 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Whether they were 'ridiculed' or not is a matter of personal opinion. They got real advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Atli  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3719
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,991
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yea, realistic answers were given. If you want to call that ridicule, then so be it. - Nobody has anything personal against the OP.

As for why it's featured. Many features are automated, based on algorithms that I have no clue about. Nobody actually featured this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 JakeT  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 22-May 13

Re: Strategy game development logic programming tutorial question

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 28 July 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Why is this thread featured when all anyone's done is ridicule the OP?


I've learned from this thread. I think it has value for inexperienced programmers who are not the OP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2