4 Replies - 348 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A new CMS, what would you like to have in it?

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hello,

I have a quick question for everybody about a newly built CMS, which will need answers from different perspectives if possible please.

If you are a simple-user/webmaster/editor, what are the features you'd like a CMS to have and to be straightforward dealing with them and that should be supplied by default, not as free/paid plugins (i.e. Facebook plugin, Paypal, or anything you felt is crucial to your daily use on any other CMS, yet you had to alter it to get it to what you wanted it to be...etc)

If you're a designer, what sort of themeing concept you'd like to see in a CMS, that'll make your life easier by fully segregating the code part from the design part, and making your interaction with the CMS as independent from the code as it could be, which should also make it a minimalist effort if/when the design needs to be upgraded without messing up the data rendered on the pages?

If you're a developer, then what are the things you hate about developing modules/components/plugins for other CMSes, which you wish they were more easier and simpler to catch on? Do you have any idea about what you'd like to have to start building a module on the fly? Any CMS you'd like building modules for? Any CMS you hate building modules for? Why?

I appreciate all the entries, and I wish everybody will participate, as this will keep me motivated and focused on the Dos and the Donts of what I am doing.

For instance, I hate writing modules for ZenCart and editing a lot of files in separate places, though I like its DB concept, when I like how PrestaShop is built, though I haven't interacted with it as much as I did with ZenCart. I find WordPress straightforward, while I find Drupal a bit of a pain if you're just starting to comprehend the design behind it...etc

Looking forward to hear from you guys :)

This is the 2nd part of the questions:

Do you think a new CMS is still needed that can act differently based on the installed modules:

A Forum engine.
A Blog engine.
A Social network engine.
...etc

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A new CMS, what would you like to have in it?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A new CMS, what would you like to have in it?

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

1) Simple user editor - The CMS should have a really good WYSIWYG editor that makes building pages really easy and very clean. Also has a really good "HTML Source" mode for when I want to make fine edits. The editor should not re-write those editors either. No matter what type of user you are, if this editor experience is cumbersome or just plain sucks I would drop the product.

2) Web designer - Very good template handling and module widgets that are easy to drop on a user interface. Don't make all the menus, options cramped and make sure elements have suitable padding and "breathe". One CMS to look at for this is ModX which makes good modules. It has some clunky parts on how it handles snippets and such, but for a design standpoint it is really good.

3) Developer - Developing plugins should be easy and straight forward. I should be able to hit a button and get a skeleton plugin file up, fill it with code and hit save. It should just work. Then allow me to package it up and throw it out to the world. Someone else should then be able to simply get the plugin file, click it and have it work exactly the same on their copy despite their modifications to their system. Wordpress does a nice job of this so I would look at how they do it. However, Wordpress plugin design could use a little more simplification and I think it can be implemented a little nicer. Like designing for Wordpress, hate designing for Joomla.

Hope that helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Great input indeed.

So far, I have integrated CKEditor the latest version, and editing is super simple and easy and beautiful and supports full HTML mode.

Via CKEditor, KCFinder is also integrated for the best images and files upload management, which occurs on the file.

I've written other Ajax/jQuery file uploader, which handles cropping images in a beautiful way too.

I guess I've done well for your first part.

_______

Templating is still at an early stage, and so far the data is rendered outside the template files, and the templates holds only the design, which is following the MVC model, and there is a minimal theming engine I've written, yet it needs a lot of improvement as I continue the development process. However, the CMS already has working APIs to load Hooks when necessary at the selected places, load specified CSS/Js files that are needed on a case to case basis and other stuff, and I have a concept in mind that I should give it a try to make the design stage a bit visual more than just writing code. It's a tough task I know, but it's on my To-do list.

_______

Because I hated developing plugins for some CMSes, I made it as easy as it can be, and there is an automatic process to create the skeleton, and an XML file will be generated on the fly.

For the installation, it's also automatic, either upload the zip file or just extract the file into the modules folder, refresh your page and that's it.

So far, it sounds like I'm keeping it up to what you'd expect from a CMS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

For me documentation is important. Some are documented better than others.

Also for me, mobile themes and availability of mobile blogging software is a big advantage, and wordpress provides this.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

I guess I need to work on the documentation part. I've done the DB class documentation, as well as writing a new module, but that's it, and nothing else, because I thought people may be interested only in how to write modules/plugins, but if documenting the whole thing is a must, then so be it.

I'm not yet fluent in the mobile stuff, as I've been working too much on the backends in my work, which I'm well versed in doing them, and only doing the frontends from time to time, and decided to go fully on such a project by myself.

Good point indeed, and I'll put the mobile thing in my to-do list for sure, and it sounds like a good learning curve I'm gonna be involved in.

Keep them coming, I really appreciate that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1