What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

74 Replies - 4104 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

When I say "new" I don't exactly mean it is so recent. With social networking sites constantly upgrading to allowing (and often pestering) users to utilize their real name to identify themselves, it seems that this is the new standard in increasing one's reputation. To some users, this promotes removing one's privacy. This was more of a concern when the Internet was in its early stages for home users. Now, it seems that it is a necessity for marketing oneself, creating a name for oneself, and overall just letting potential jobs know you exist. Sites like Quora, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. use this.

Discuss. What do you think about the privacy standard on the Internet in this day and age? Personally I think the use of real names hinders privacy to an extent, but it is the new norm of the Web; this standard is necessary for getting employers and potential jobs to know you exist.

This post has been edited by Golossos: 29 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

I hate it. Meetup groups are horrible at this. B6 the time you realize you can hide your groups from public view, your identity and assosiations are already indexed with Google for anyone to see.
Call me old fashioned, paranoid, whatever, but I like to keep things private. What I do outside of an office is no one's business. And theres always the factor of stalking as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

There's a privacy standard on the internet??
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Standard? If only. In practice, the entities that want your info would simply prefer you have zero privacy.

People seem to willingly give up all privacy when they're just interacting "friends." Ironically, these same people seem offended when this behavior bites them in the ass. "The Dionysian debauchery I publicly posted wasn't for THEM to see. What do you mean I didn't get the job?"

It's pretty simple: you don't put something on the net that you wouldn't be happy sharing with a complete stranger or anyone you associate with in the real world. If you have to worry about the "wrong" person seeing it, you've already failed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 30 July 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

There's a privacy standard on the internet??

yup, & it's buyer beware.

A friend & myself were talking the otherday, & we feel that there is a huge generation gap. There were kids of the 80's that had BBSes, no internet. Kids of the 90's had some internet. Kids in the 2000's had internet. & kids today have mobile devices that are always online.

So with the kids from the 80's & 90's being parents of the kids today, not all of them were online, so they don't respect the dangers of 100% uptime for a teenager, or even a child. They don't respect the danger of technology & information, so they do little to prevent it. I really believe that's why I see so many laptops come in with viruses & the parents could care less that their children are running utorrent. I believe it's why you always see children killing themselves over sending 'private photos', because the parents just don't know any better. It's this generation of children that will grow up with the experience of the dangers of the internet & privacy & what not. This is why I'm so concerned when I hear about kids willing to give up their facebook password for a job application.

The idea of security & government providing it just cuz is well accepted. & the less education & experience that these kids have, the more they are willing to give up, to give in to censorship, to give in to online projects like SOPA.

I weep for my future. Because most of this new generation is fucking retarded & spineless. Uneducated & a little too eager for handouts. Too many false entitlements, for very, very little effort.

& that's how I feel about online security :)/>/>

View PostGolossos, on 30 July 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Now, it seems that it is a necessity for marketing oneself, creating a name for oneself, and overall just letting potential jobs know you exist. Sites like Quora, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. use this.

IMO, this is not true. I have never even heard of Quora. I don't use my real name on Facebook or Twitter. Nor do I have a YouTube. The only reason I have a Facebook at all was because I was required to have a personal page to make one for my business. Doesn't mean I am required to use it.

I've also never created an account at Linked In. Which actually IS a site aimed at professionalism, which you've left off your list of required sites for getting a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

I dont use my real nme for anything except Linkedin. But LI has been fruitless so far in my job search so I'm about ready to make the profile private again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

POPULAR

As luck would have it, I lost a new contract gig not all that long ago BECAUSE of social media. The gig wasn't all that (it was for less money than I normally charge) and I had the time and expertise they needed so when they came calling, I said yes. I was on the job for a total of 9 days. Turns out, an old Twitter account I hadn't posted to in nearly 2 years had a link to a blog I write and for which I don't use my real name. Seems my personal views (and occasional Tourette's manner of expressing them) was deemed unacceptable by the lady I reported to who, just the day before, heaped all kind of praise on me to her superior for how much backlogged work I cleared in my first few days.

Did I get bent about it? Yep. Was I bent because I lost the gig? Not all that much. What I was irritated with was that this woman apparently had nothing better to do than to Google my name, discover a dormant Twitter account, peruse every entry in there, follow a link to a blog that I never claimed on the Twitter post, sift the blog for telltales as to my identity...and then use all that as a justification for severing a contract. I wasn't an employee mind you...this was 1099 contractual, corp-to-corp stuff. I think what aggravated me most was the seeming rationale that it was okay to actively dig through someone's online identity just looking for something to be bent about...even when someone went to at least a small effort to divorce items from their actual identity. In other words: a casual member of the public wandering by either my Twitter account or blog wouldn't make the connection. It only happens when someone devotes a fair amount sleuthing and puzzle building to connect the dots.

When it happened to me, I had a choice to sanitize my online efforts (inclusive of comments I've made in the Caffeine Lounge here) or not. I chose "not". Mostly because "fuck 'em". I have opinions, I am a person, I own a blog and Twitter account and FB account. I also have a personal life, do things, swear sometimes, drink too much sometimes, have inappropriate moments sometimes. Can you look over my fence into my backyard to see what I'm doing in the privacy of my home? Sure you can. Should you? That's up to you. If you do though and see something you don't like, do you think if you bring it to me as though I should be forced to explain myself that I won't tell you to go fuck yourself? You should because I will.

Privacy isn't something I should be forced to guard to the extent that I need to build impermeable barriers around it, brick and or paint my windows and huddle in a sunless bunker of my own privacy. Why should we not expect and demand that others exercise a modicum of self control and policing of their own behavior? Will such happen? Of course not. But I'll be damned if I'll apologize for being actual whilst living my life when the entire question arises because you refused to behave like a mannered, civilized person.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 30 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Craig I've lost a contract before because I accidentally answered the phone while eating lunch with friends. My client took our laughing as us smoking pot and I subsequently lost the contract/job. Luckily I haven't even started work, so I just filed him under "crazy" and went on with my life.

My views are similar to Baavgai's. Don't put anything on the web you don't want people to know about. Occasionally you will come across crazy people like Craig did (and yes, I'm using the term crazy, because you shouldn't fire someone for blog posts they've written years ago) and the best thing you can do is give them nothing to go crazy over. Sometimes stuff will slip on accident (like, say, mistakenly answering your phone) and you're just gonna have to live with it.

Really on the internet you can't expect any privacy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 30 July 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

I weep for my future. Because most of this new generation is fucking retarded & spineless. Uneducated & a little too eager for handouts. Too many false entitlements, for very, very little effort.

prior generations have been saying this about new generations forever. it's nothing new, it's still unfounded. this just means your the old guy yelling at people to stay off your lawn from your porch. only the porch has changed, and the generation prior to you is terrified of how you allowed that to happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 30 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

your the old guy

you're*

Damned kids these days can't even spell! When I was your age, we had to memorize the dictionary spellings, definitions, and parts of speech in 7 different languages and be ready for oral quizzes on the spot. If you answered incorrectly, they shoved a toothpick in your nipple and left it there to fester! Kids these days have it too easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

How much of an age gap is required for someone to be considered from another generation?

If you're 40 and I'm 20... are we one generation apart? Two generations apart?

If I'm 33 and you're 31... are we a generation apart? Or part of the same generation?

Or are we defining a generation by the tags the media has bestowed upon them (Baby Boomers, Gen X, Millenials, etc)? And if so, what are the birth year parameters defining each label? I've read several variations on what birth range constitutes each generation. No one seems to really agree where one starts and another ends.

I'm just wondering because no2 is like 5 or 6 years older than me. But I'm only like 7 or 8 years older than sloth. So... am I part of no2's generation or part of sloth's generation or a generation all my own?

Should I be arguing for the old people or the young people?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

definitely the old.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 30 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 30 July 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

prior generations have been saying this about new generations forever. it's nothing new, it's still unfounded. this just means ....

Posted Image

I quit listening.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

i blame the Alzheimer's effect on you're attention span.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »