What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

74 Replies - 4098 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

#61 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you think about the new privacy standard on the Web?

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 01 August 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

that's too much info BBeck, you've slipped up for the last time!

Plus I can use Google Earth to figure out which house is his. Based on the weight compression of the vehicles as they park, I can tell which ones are used for purchasing dog food & animal hospital visits.

Boom, owned, mine.

Imma break into your house & play your vidya games, & post your scores online.

:bananaman:

You're gonna get fired :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 01 August 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

View PostBBeck, on 01 August 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Yes. I have personally been in that moment where I looked another man in the eyes and realized it was either him or me.

That isn't what I asked. Have you been in military combat, since that was the standard you felt should be applied for someone to know about the safety of the world?

It wasn't "military combat" that I sat as the standard. The standard that I sat was having that moment where you are face to face with someone attempting to end your life. Anyone who has been shot at has had that moment where they realize, "not everyone is my friend". And if you've been in combat and seen the bodies covered in flies you would know what I'm talking about and wouldn't try to make the case for "There's no danger in the world. What are you talking about? You can trust anyone. People trying to kill you is just a figment of your imagination. That can't happen. Smiling little girls don't walk up to soldiers and offer them a basket of flowers that later turns out to contain an IED and kills half the platoon. Couldn't happen."

View Postno2pencil, on 01 August 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Postsupersloth, on 01 August 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

that's too much info BBeck, you've slipped up for the last time!

Plus I can use Google Earth to figure out which house is his. Based on the weight compression of the vehicles as they park, I can tell which ones are used for purchasing dog food & animal hospital visits.

Boom, owned, mine.

Imma break into your house & play your vidya games, & post your scores online.

:bananaman:/>

You're gonna get fired :P/>

Uncle! You win! :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Wow man, you're a douche. Thanks for summing combat up for everyone in a few sentences. And for the record, I never saw little girls with flowers and IEDs, because there weren't any fucking flowers in the desert.

And how do you go from me calling bullshit on this persona you're playing to me saying that the world is all kittens and candycanes? I've made no comment on the message you're trying to get across.

EDIT: Didn't need to do that...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 01 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

h4nnib4l - He reads through a filter. It turns everyone else's words into happy happy joy joy peace love and harmony bullshit where he stands as the only realist in the center of all the hippy dippy euphoria blinded love children.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#65 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostBBeck, on 01 August 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

... snip...
My point is that most people are basically bad people and will do you harm if they think there are no concequences. Most of them stay in cheque because they don't want to suffer the concequences in terms of losing position in society and paying criminal penalties. There are some really good people out there, but they are few and far between. And they become more rare by the day.
... snip ...

Awww, I missed that movie in the theaters. How did you like The Purge? A good redbox rental?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Maybe it's just childhood naivety but maybe 10% of the people I've met are truly bad people, and even less so to the point where they should be locked up.

I honestly think of a lot of your problem BBeck is too much internet. It's easy to think everyone sucks and is evil when you're exposed to so much violence through sites like liveleak (which, you being a political advocate thingy, you probably browse). You even said it yourself, you were talking with a stranger and you were worried he was going to steal your information! My advice would be go outside and make some friends and realize that humans aren't all that bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#67 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

To be fair creativecoding, I do recall a conversation with you where you said everyone always has their own personal agenda. No one ever does a nice deed just because, even expecting a thank you is a selfish desire, or something along those lines.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I would give cc the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a bad day or a bad week. That might be BBeck's issue at the moment, too... I don't know him well enough to make that call.

But I do know I've gone off on more than my share of anti-men tirades knowing full well not ALL men are douchenozzles. Not even the majority. Just some. Doesn't mean I'll never go off on another disgruntled verbal attack toward the male of the species... but deep down in the happy cuddly cockles of my heart, I know there are good guys out there.

Apparently, I just choose not to date them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yes that is true, however this personal agenda isn't always bad. I was more looking at humans overall - because in the end we ALWAYS have a personal agenda to the things we do. People become friends with each other because they're looking to fill their lonesomeness or satisfy their curiosity with the person. If that makes you a bad person, I don't know how it's possible to be good?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

POPULAR

View Postcreativecoding, on 01 August 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Maybe it's just childhood naivety but maybe 10% of the people I've met are truly bad people

Ouch, you need to find a better crowd.

My personal philosophy: never ascribe to malice what you can attribute to stupid.

Most people aren't actively "bad" so much as completely thoughtless. That is, they do things without thought. Then, rather than accept responsibility for their actions, they look elsewhere for something else to blame. They often blame the individuals they've wronged; "what's wrong with everyone?"

In short, people behave like children who should know better. With this in mind, you can often enjoy their antics with detached amusement.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 01 August 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

My personal philosophy: never ascribe to malice what you can attribute to stupid.\

Hanlon's Razor, if you want a name for it.

As for the principle of every action being based on self-interest, psychological egoism. I personally cannot subscribe to such a belief system, and I have good reason for such things. You remember the Joplin Tornado back in May of 2011? (Google it if not) That one incident once and for all cemented for me that psychological egoism is the most contrived nonsense ever.

In fact, that single event gave much of us hope for the world. We banded together, even as most of our lives and worlds were torn asunder. Most people had absolutely nothing, lost family, or were otherwise generally bad off for it. People helped people, people showed the goodness of their hearts, and people fixed things.

Now we could always delve into the looters and other people that were there, but detracting from a single bit of the great things that happened within the community because of that is a tragedy. Ah, and for the record the looters were commonly duct taped to trees with signs around their necks for the police to pick them up.

There is good in the world, and there is bad. Focus on nothing but the bad, and you're doing nothing to fix it. You're only making the problem worse with your own paranoia, cynicism, and bitterness. I would rather die doing good in the world and helping people than live to a ripe old age, stewing in my own bitterness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hanlon's razor... never heard of it; thanks for the reference. Though, there's a reasonable chance I read the Heinlein.

As for your people don't suck example: given. When people are aware and thinking, they're often pretty decent. If they aren't fighting they dealing with their own shit, they can often have compassion for someone else's. I live in a part of Jersey that has lost power a number of times. Seeing the community pulling together to help each other can be inspiring.

However, when people are completely self involved. they're assholes; unconscious or otherwise. Indeed, many people being assholes are often quite embarrassed and even remorseful when their behavior is pointed out to them. Some others are defensive, cementing their assholeness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 19 August 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

However, when people are completely self involved. they're assholes; unconscious or otherwise. Indeed, many people being assholes are often quite embarrassed and even remorseful when their behavior is pointed out to them. Some others are defensive, cementing their assholeness.

I'd add as a caveat that people's behavior, whether self involved or not, improves appreciably if they think they might be observed and furthermore if they feel they might be personally identified via that observation. If they think they're anonymous and can't be discovered...many people feel free to become dicks.

I had a teachable moment with my kids weekend before last. Driving home through the Alabama countryside with the kids in the Jeep and we come up on a car semi in a ditch off the road with the back window broken out. Now, I was going to fast to stop when I saw it but as I passed I'm looking to see if any people were in the car (it appeared abandoned). I pull a U-turn anyway and go back, stop and tell the kids to stay in the car as I check. As it happened, this guy and girl (picture skinny scraggly looking dude with what looked like a meth'd out GF) are emerging from a dirt driveway/road up the road a little walking back toward the car. Turns out the back window was like that beforehand and the car had gotten a flat and the guy pulled off the road only to discover the ditch covered by tall grass. They're both fine (uninjured anyway) and said thanks but they called for help from the house up the dirt road just a few minutes before.

Anyway, I get back in the Jeep to head out and my daughter was all like (she's 13) "they looked kinda rough" and I agreed. She pauses a moment and said "their car looked kinda beat up too" and I agreed again. Then after a moment she asks "you didn't know those people...what if they'd have done something?". I told her something to the effect of "well, here's the thing...I have a cellphone, you have a cellphone and if they were hurt in the car, we call 911 and get them help. I didn't get all that close to them as it was and when they said they were okay and help was on the way that was the end of it. If they had needed help, we'd have helped and other cars go by often enough on this road that I wasn't too concerned with them doing anything silly. What I didn't want to do was wonder the rest of the day 'were the people who had that car we passed in that ditch okay'? Sometimes, you do the right thing because it puts your mind at ease. Sometimes you do the right thing because you'd want someone to do the same for you. Sometimes you do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. So, whether you do it from guilt, wanting to believe you get it back karma-wise later or because you're a follower of your own rules...it doesn't matter. Motive isn't important when it comes to doing the right thing. You do it even when nobody else may ever discover you did it."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostBBeck, on 01 August 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 01 August 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I actually feel bad for you after reading this. I don't for a moment believe that the vast majority of the world's population would put a bullet in my skull if they didn't fear the consequences. Some would - absolutely. Some would do it regardless of consequences. But to say that MOST people are bad people... I'm just glad I don't live in the same bubble of fear-mongering negativity you've cocooned yourself into.

Even you admit that some are.

I didn't say that the majority want to put a bullet in your skull. Everyone of them has different goals and desires. Maybe they want to put a bullet in your head. Maybe they just want to steal your stuff, or take your job.

If you want to go around trusting everyone you meet with your whole life, then by all means, go for it. It's not going to bother me. Just don't say I didn't warn you when something bad happens.

As for me, I started out a bit naive, I grew up in the country where people know one another and tend to act more civil. Then I moved to the city and became this way because I've met more of those people than I could ever count. I simply speak with the voice of experience.

Trust has to be earned. And a stranger most certainly hasn't had time to earn it. Anything less is foolishness.

Ah, this post explains a lot... Country hick in the big city, got mugged, turned paranoid. End of story.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostBort, on 20 August 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostBBeck, on 01 August 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

As for me, I started out a bit naive, I grew up in the country where people know one another and tend to act more civil. Then I moved to the city and became this way because I've met more of those people than I could ever count. I simply speak with the voice of experience.

Trust has to be earned. And a stranger most certainly hasn't had time to earn it. Anything less is foolishness.

Ah, this post explains a lot... Country hick in the big city, got mugged, turned paranoid. End of story.

I didn't see where he said he'd been mugged nor the part where, simply due to where he got his mail delivered that such automagically made him a "hick".

I've lived in both rural and urban settings and there is a typical...attitude (may not be quite the correct word here)...that develops as a result of your living conditions vis-a-vis your proximity to your neighbors. Usually, in the country, you cannot rely on the immediate appearance of social services (fire, police, ambulance, etc) to help you out when you need it. People that live out that way know this. Some react by not being as...aloof (again, maybe not quite the correct word) as people have a greater tendency to be (my experience) in urban settings. You get to know your neighbors and they get to know you. That doesn't mean that city dwellers don't do the same...but there are a lot more of them and when you know you probably won't need to rely on your neighbors if things ever go pear shaped, some folks dispense with such social niceties and keep more to themselves. When you decide to disregard people, it's easier to objectify them and, if you're inclined to such behavior, victimize them.

People like to say things like "muggings" (read: "crime") are worse in cities because of the socio-economic plight of people there (read again: "poor people"). However, there are poor people outside of cities and yet, crime doesn't rise in the proportion amongst the poor there (it does rise...just not near as much). It's more like being poor in a city provides those poor people with more opportunities to be dicks to their neighbors because there are so many more of them and because there is a certain sense of anonymity that seems to go along with being in a bigger group than you can found outside urban areas. Couple that to the notion that amongst the 100 people you'd encounter walking down the street between both a city and a small town, you're likely to label more people in the city as "strangers" than you might in a small town. Harder to successfully victimize people who know you.

It's not being a "hick" to make observations like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First