Rid the world of sadness or conflict?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

42 Replies - 2087 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Rid the world of sadness or conflict?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

If given the choice, would you rid the world of sadness and it's equals? So, in essence; people will always be neutral or positive, and everything else like that, or have conflict of all levels completely disappear?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rid the world of sadness or conflict?

#2 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Re: Rid the world of sadness or conflict?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Neither.

Sadness is valuable, necessary. Sure, it's not pleasant being sad, but it has meaning. I don't want to not feel sad when I think of my grandmother, for instance, or my brother, but I don't want to forget them either. That sadness lets me know they're still meaningful to me after their passing. Sadness is too important to 'rid the world' of.

As is conflict. While I'd be happy to, say, rid the world of war - but like sadness, conflict is necessary. Otherwise we become one homogeneous hivemind.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Being sad is fine. Being sad means you give a shit.

On the other hand conflict is just a juvenile escapade. People are stupid. If we could stop being assholes and learn to live with each other it would be awesome and we could spend our resources on more productive things, like SPACE, or ... I dunno, eliminating poverty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

View Postpeace_fixation, on 31 July 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Being sad is fine. Being sad means you give a shit.

On the other hand conflict is just a juvenile escapade. People are stupid. If we could stop being assholes and learn to live with each other it would be awesome and we could spend our resources on more productive things, like SPACE, or ... I dunno, eliminating poverty.

Except who wins with differing viewpoints? You and I want to go to space, but what about people who think spaceflight is an abomination against their deity or somesuch?

Conflict is necessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Resistance is futile thus abolish everything-- yeah right-- I like the way it is now-- progress with conflict
emotions are also part of nature --if you cant handle them then there is something even deeper in your personal conflict that should be solved....
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Conflict is the end result of differing opinions and beliefs so unless you're going to say that everyone should share the same opinions and beliefs, you will inevitably have conflict. The ability to possess diverse opinions and thoughts is a staple foundation of freedom.

Now, if by conflict you mean "violence" or "war" then yes, it's possible that you might some day stumble upon the utopia of an end to war. That said though, war is driven by economics and politics and sometimes ideologies. War is the consequence of one party refusing to acquiesce peacefully to the demands or pressures of another. Governments make war and always have. Conflict and the effort to find ways for your opinions and beliefs to triumph over others is a distinct stimulus to evolution. For instance, it's believed that one of the reasons our ancient ancestors developed upright walking was as a means to see their enemies and predators better over the tall grass we found ourselves in when we came down out of the trees. Absent the desire to not be a main course or to retain the hunting-gathering lands our tribe/pack/whatever occupied, we might never have evolved. Conflict is the entropy and dynamism in the system.

The universe is a very violent place. Life itself is violence on practically any scale you care to examine. It'd be difficult if not outright impossible to separate life and violence.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 31 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

POPULAR

My 12-year-old daughter asked me just the other day what I would change if I could go back in time and change any ONE thing in my life.

My answer was: nothing.

Not because nothing bad has ever happened, not because I've enjoyed every experience of my life, but because without those experiences, I wouldn't be who I am and where I am today.

It's conflict that builds character. It's sadness that fuels dreams and aspirations. It's pain that makes you appreciate when things are going well.

Do I sometimes wonder what life would be like if my mother hadn't died shortly after my birth? Absolutely.

Do I wonder what life would be like if my father hadn't abandoned his children? Yepper!

Do I wonder where I would be if I hadn't met the father of my children and was still just a spawnless spinster? Indeed, I do.

Do I wonder how things would have turned out if I'd gone to California with the psychopath who bought me a plane ticket when I was 18? Yes.

Do I wish my brother was still alive? Every day.

But each of these events - any many, many others - have made me who I am. You might not like me; you might hate me with a passion, but I'm rather content with the person I've grown to become.

If you never have conflict, how do you recognize peace?
If you never have sadness, how do you know when you're happy?
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sadness? Like regret? Like feeling bad if you screw someone over?

Conflict? Like freedom to choose? Like the ability to disagree with someone else?

So, essentially, the question is: Do prefer sociopathic chaos or oppressive totalitarianism?

Both choices lead to a dystopian nightmare. "The only winning move is not to play."
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

I think B9 and Baavgai hit the nail right on the head. You kinda need both of those things to know you're alive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Your question is kind of worded awkwardly. I only know what you mean by your title alone. I like what baavgai said,

Both choices lead to a dystopian nightmare. "The only winning move is not to play."

This post has been edited by salazar: 31 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Right, it was late and I was tired. Sorry about that. But you all make a fine argument.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postdepricated, on 31 July 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

As is conflict. While I'd be happy to, say, rid the world of war - but like sadness, conflict is necessary.

Conflict is not necessary. The biggest lie ever told is that the way things are now is the way they have to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 31 July 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Conflict is not necessary.

Seriously?

Which is better, chocolate or vanilla? Conflict.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Really? The conflict of opinion, ideas, history, etc have absolutely done nothing for the world?

edit: derp, scooped by the Baklavan Baron baavgai

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 31 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Conflict, or disagreeing, is one of the most valuable attributes of humanity. If everyone permanently agrees nothing changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +