7 Replies - 2832 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Html: How connect an access database to a website

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

I am designing a webpage that requires a database. The database has been written but I have no clue how to link it to the site with html code. I have connected other databases but with VB, Pls help Put me in the right direction.
AL
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Html: How connect an access database to a website

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Html: How connect an access database to a website

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

First off - no. Do _NOT_ use Access. Access is great as a single user on a local machine, but not *NOT* as a multiple user for a webpage. Use MSSQL, MYSQL, etc but not Access.

Second - you would normally connect, access, query a database through some sort of server side language. PHP, Ruby, advance JS frameworks, ASP.NET, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've moved this to Web Development as it has nothing to do with HTML or CSS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

its connect before you have need mySql server ..after you make right coding as html language....
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postalobi, on 31 July 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

The database has been written but I have no clue how to link it to the site with html code.

Just to underline this fact: You can not access a database with HTML code. First of all, it's not a programming language, and you need an actual programming language for things like that. Second, it's a client-side language, meaning it's normally not even going to be executed on the same network as the database server.

Like modi says, you need a server-side language; a language executed on the server, from where the database can be reached safely. - If you are new to this, PHP and MySQL have a relatively low beginner threshold. If you've got VB experience, ASP.NET (with VB.NET as the main language) may also be a good fit, instead of PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I remember back when I was in a school I connected an access database to a website using Javascript and ODBC. Every time you loaded a page you had to approve 4 or 5 warnings.

Good fun...absolutely useless though.. Who wants to store their database on the clients computer, only allow them to use internet explorer and force them to go through an enormous approval process? :sailor:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Quick overview of web languages:

HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) - A Markup language, you are specifying that certain text is marked as something, such as bold. By specifying <b>text</b>, you are marking text as bold.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) - By specifying HTML elements, you can apply styling to them. In most cases this is structure or decoration.
Javascript - A front-end* scripting language used to make dynamic changes to a page on the client side only.
ASP/PHP/Rails/Django/Etc - Backend languages for interacting with databases and generating dynamic content on the server side.

* Javascript with Node.JS can be backend, but pointless complications for a brief overview.

Now this is a BRIEF overview, but until you get the basic structure of a web site down things are going to be very difficult to figure out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Also good to keep in mind is that although Access can store data like a database, it can also connect to OLDBs in order to store and retrieve data. If you want to have a database accessible by both and Access frontend and a web frontend, it might be better to move the DB contents from Access to an actual DB, and then connect to the DB using an OLDB connection in Access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1