• +

41 Replies - 2031 Views - Last Post: 02 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: You won't like this. Oh well.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postuplade3, on 31 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

There is always at least one person on EVERY topic I posted on who was extremely negative.
So what am I to do? I report that particular person.
I am a moderator and Supermod at several tech forums, and when we get reports, we follow through and warn the user. But for me to be told that "They can say what they want to say, block the dude." is a definite scale of how this website is run.
I know this will be deleted and I will be banned for this
Maybe if learning every new coding language was so stressful due to the community around it, I shouldn't even attempt.

View Postuplade3, on 01 August 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 August 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Is this a case of just a big misunderstanding?

It could very well be. I'm open to that.

These points you made in your post are incredibly specific, & mention reports that were never filed, & how we as administration :

a.) somehow failed you
b.) didn't take reports *that were not filed* seriously
c.) not how you run *multiple* forums

These are rather serious accusations in my opinion, to chalk up as "just a big misunderstanding".

I'm in a job that doesn't require programming skills in the least. I am not in school for programming. I am doing this for my own satisfaction.

I think this is where the misunderstanding comes from. You have an idea of how programming should work, & you didn't like the answer you were given. So somehow that's misconstrued as members being mean.

Just how I see things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm failing to see the relevance in WHY you're learning to code. It's not for your job. Great. It's not for school. Great. It's for personal growth. A hobby, even. Great. But we're not going to treat you like a special snowflake because you're learning for fun.

Bottom line: Regardless of your reason for learning to code, you won't get much out of it if you're just waiting for someone else to give you the answers. Show some effort. Tell us your errors. Help us help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#33 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Am I the only one who is embarrassed how a newbie (to the forums and to programming) was treated in that thread? His first post missed some important info buy, hey. He's new.

This post [5] was downvoted. I agree that he was wrong in assuming we all compile his code but it's just a misunderstanding. Easy mistake to make and easy to clear up. Not really sure what the -1 was for. Maybe jimblumberg can clear that up for us.

I realized that about %c but didn't know if it would compensate for it. I didn't know if I should #define the input number or what. And it did warn me. I knew you guys would get the same error on your compiler as well though. I'm still trying to get it to actually do something at this point though.

Later in the thread, jimblumberg has taken the humph that uplade3 is demanding we compile the code. That's not how I read his posts. Most of them were explaining his misunderstandings ...

Because some one usually does to see what happens. Every single topic I've seen so far, someone has taken the time to compile just to verify what's going on.

... to express exasperation because he doesn't know the syntax well enough to interpret compiler errors ...

Trust me, if I knew how to fix them, I definitely would. I don't much enjoy compiler warnings in general.

... and to ask politely for help

Now. I'm hoping someone can at least definitively guide me in the correct direction. I'm willing to learn if someone has the time to type a response. :)/>

In other posts, he answered questions posed by members of DIC, explained his thought process and let us know of things he discovered while putting in effort himself. Aren't these some of the qualities that make the best members of this forum?

This post [11] got two negative votes from jim and macosnerd101. I concede that he is getting more exasperated but he is certainly giving no worse that jim was, and I don't see people hitting -1 on his posts. Despite being defensibly annoyed, he hasn't gone over the top and has kept things civil.

[I feel like I'm picking on jim here. He also provided a lot of good advice in this thread.]

View Postuplade3, on 29 July 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Then why are you playing with characters if you want the user to enter numbers?

I don't know. That's why I'm here with a post count of 9. Because I am trying to figure it out.

I could definitely use some constructive criticism. But please be sure to make it constructive. No one is forcing you to reply, so you could have chosen to let someone else reply. Thank you.

Why should I waste my time compiling every program someone posts? If the proper information is provided there is usually no need to compile the code. Compiling is your job, not ours.

Precisely. Now I'm curious to know why you even brought that up in the first place. You answered your own post.

Now. I'm hoping someone can at least definitively guide me in the correct direction. I'm willing to learn if someone has the time to type a response. :)/>

Later in the thread, two experts ignore a moderator and need to be told more forcibly to take their squabble outside.

It's easy to see a newbie with -4 rep and assume he's a "gimme the codes" help vampire. I'm not getting those vibes from this one. I don't think he deserved any of the -3 votes in that thread. I think his complaint was justified but even if you don't agree, it was certainly civil.

Uplade3, it's a shame your first experience of DIC was like this. I don't think it's typical of the community and I hope you'll stick around long enough (at DIC and also with programming) to see the good sides.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

... and to ask politely for help

Now. I'm hoping someone can at least definitively guide me in the correct direction. I'm willing to learn if someone has the time to type a response. :)

I took this response differently. I saw it as a snide comment towards jimblumberg's help. Regardless of the dispute regarding compiling one's own code, Jim did provide a lot of helpful and technically relevant information.

I saw this necropost reiterating that tone.

For those who are willing to (or at least aren't blatant Gimme Teh Codez), I'll be happy to spend a good deal of time to help them in the right direction, which includes time I spend researching and debugging their code on my own in order to answer the questions. If someone isn't willing to invest any time themselves though, I'm not willing to invest a lot of my own.

You'd be a lot of help in the C/C++ section.... ;)

Maybe I just misread the tone.

It's easy to see a newbie with -4 rep and assume he's a "gimme the codes" help vampire. I'm not getting those vibes from this one.

I agree with this. I think at this point everyone is on the same page as to asking questions that get results, so as hopefully to prevent any future misunderstandings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 August 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Nobody here was rude though... Frank advice != rudeness.

Tomato tomatoe. People here used to be more courteous, or at least I remember it that way. Snark got old, fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#36 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

Mac, I read the first one as simply trying to steer the thread back to helping rather than lecturing. The second one looks a lot more snarky, which isn't right just as some of the way we welcomed him to the community isn't right.

I'm not disputing the help that jim gave was correct, valuable and helpful. Just that the tone and negative votes seemed out of proportion.

This post has been edited by cfoley: 02 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

POPULAR

But at the same time, we're talking about personal interpretations of text. How the tone is perceived can easily be effected by real life events in the reader's world.

If I'm having a bad day, I come online already defensive, and in my mind, your posts come across as far snarkier than they actually are. In turn, I throw out a curt, blunt, possibly counter-snark response, and someone ends up butthurt from taking it personally.

On that same token, if I'm having a good day, I might interpret your snark as playful humor and go on to formulate a long, verbose answer because it's just what I feel like doing.

As one working in the field every day, I find my cynical, snarky days are FAR more frequent than my hold hands and sing Kumbaya days. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit my grumpy ass in a corner and only visit DIC on my good days.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#38 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:57 AM

That's a very good point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

View Postuplade3, on 01 August 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

An easy way to explain what you said in a non-rude tone would have been "Oh we don't actually compile everyone's code. It would be easier if you would compile it so we can scan it quickly and figure out what's going on" and "Look up in your book the different types of variables, some of these are used incorrectly. Learn the difference between this and that and you'll find your answer."

Posted Image

This is always shown on the post editor when you're posting a question, and is very clear about the rules. If you took the time to actually read it you would have immediately seen how to correctly post a new topic, and would undoubtedly have been received much better.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#40 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Perhaps we've all learnt something from this thread and can move on :smile2:
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 August 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

For those who are willing to (or at least aren't blatant Gimme Teh Codez), I'll be happy to spend a good deal of time to help them in the right direction, which includes time I spend researching and debugging their code on my own in order to answer the questions. If someone isn't willing to invest any time themselves though, I'm not willing to invest a lot of my own.

You'd be a lot of help in the C/C++ section.... ;)/>/>

Maybe I just misread the tone.

No I was seriously saying, that attitude would be awesome. No snarkyness intended at all. It does sound dickish though now that I look at it.

Oh and sorry about the Necroposting, I legitimately forgot to check dates. That's my fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 01 August 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

For the record, OP, I for one am sorry that you got a negative first-ish impression of DIC. All of the users here are here on a voluntary basis, and some of them (saints, I tell you) browse the forums for HOURS trying to help everybody. Sometimes, there's an overabundance of crap on here, such as "gimme t3h c0d3z" and spam, and after sifting through countless threads like this, they do sometimes get a little jaded and start getting curt and blunt, and may come off rude. The point is, they're still here to help, and doing so voluntarily, so if they're being a little blunt, there might be a legitimate reason. If you want the best help, you have to give the best effort to be helped. So, for future reference, be as specific as you can with your questions, describe the errors, copy and paste any compiler errors, list all logic errors and incorrect behavior as thoroughly as possible, and give every bit of relevant code (in code tags) as possible, and they can better help you. I'm glad you're taking this up as a personal task, and not for school or work, it really is a rewarding hobby. Good luck in your endeavors. :)

Whoa whoa whoa... I call impostor! What the hell have you done with NeoTifa?!?! I want the devil spawn chick who likes to write obscene minecraft stuff and, if she could, dump lava on your house.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 02 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +