You won't like this. Oh well.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

41 Replies - 1944 Views - Last Post: 02 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: You won't like this. Oh well.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I am sure rudeness can happen on both sides. But just because someone else is rude as well doesn't excuse ones own rudeness. Im probably wasting my time even saying this as there are some very immature people who seem to frequent forums and I doubt they will make the effort to mend their ways and sometimes because they are mods they think they can be as rude as possible. Not saying all the mods here are rude, just saying rudeness is not a member only problem. I'm sure someone will reply to this and "defend their right" to be rude.

Actually I've seen sites that are much worse than this one and most people are making an honest attempt to be helpful to new people. You do get a few who want to berate others for not being as smart as them and I am starting to question whether smarts is simply language familiarity. Alot of the arrogance I see around me automatically tells me to put those people on my "don't ever offer a job or use as a contractor" list regardless of what they think they know.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

POPULAR

View Postkiwiheretic, on 01 August 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

sometimes because they are mods they think they can be as rude as possible. Not saying all the mods here are rude, just saying rudeness is not a member only problem.

I agree it works both ways. However, many times a simple, blunt response that doesn't come with rainbows and flowers and a you-can-do-it play punch to the chin is misconstrued as rudeness.

We're not here to coddle folks who don't want to provide all the relevant details. I'm not your second grade teacher. I won't rub your back while you cry and tell you everything is going to be okay. Put on your big girl panties and do what you need to do, or get left behind.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#18 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I am sure rudeness can happen on both sides. But just because someone else is rude as well doesn't excuse ones own rudeness.

That's the thing though- I don't see anyone being rude to the OP in the thread where he was asking for help. That seems to be the complaint.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#19 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

@kiwiheretic

Do you have any examples of what you consider rude behavior occurring in these forums or are you just using generalities?

That's the thing though- I don't see anyone being rude to the OP in the thread where he was asking for help. That seems to be the complaint.

The only thing I can see that could be construed as being rude is the negative rep, coming from someone other that the OP.

I'm going to hold my tongue about most of my feelings about the OP.

Coming to a help board after just scanning a book and throwing together some code, without much thought, then complaining about the help given, really?

It's very hard to explain to someone the problem with their program when they don't know the most basic of things, like that there are different types of variables.

Programming takes work and IMO the OP doesn't want to do the work.

Jim

This post has been edited by jimblumberg: 01 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I am a too the point kinda guy. I hate frills and sweet nothings. If you ask a question I will answer it with as little wording as possible. If youre a dick I will tell you so. However if you are nice i'll help you out more. Having said all this, I can tell you that I do not help people who dont even show a hint of trying... gimme da codez type of people suck
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postjimblumberg, on 01 August 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

@kiwiheretic
Programming takes work and IMO the OP doesn't want to do the work.

I'm in a job that doesn't require programming skills in the least. I am not in school for programming. I am doing this for my own satisfaction. An easy way to explain what you said in a non-rude tone would have been "Oh we don't actually compile everyone's code. It would be easier if you would compile it so we can scan it quickly and figure out what's going on" and "Look up in your book the different types of variables, some of these are used incorrectly. Learn the difference between this and that and you'll find your answer."

It's less words than the reply you wrote yet it conveys a message that makes me actually want to go do. Acting pretentious is in no way, shape, or form a helpful thing. Keep bashing me all you want, but go back and try to see it through my point of view.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostDarenR, on 01 August 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

... gimme da codez type of people suck

Well, that does happen for sure but not all are not in that category. However, when you're a beginner you dont often know where to start and saying "show me what you've produced so far" may well be inappropriate. The appropriate response in that case would be to point them to an appropriate tutorial to get started, not just a "go away" because you dont know how to code yet. The only message that sends is absolute beginners are not welcome here.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#23 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

@uplade3: He *did* tell you that and in a non-pretentious way in your help thread, though. It came across as you expecting us to compile your code in that thread.

Is this a case of just a big misunderstanding? Everyone here is a volunteer, and we want those who ask for help to get the help they need. A lot of us spend hours a day for this purpose, and so others who view the threads down the road can benefit from our responses as well.

Nobody here forgets what it was like to be new- I promise.

@kiwiheretic: I don't think a good faith expectation is unrealistic. Most people here are asking for homework help (not all, but most). That implies the material was covered at some point in class, the text, or the notes. I don't think it is unrealistic to ask the OP to show some effort, even if it is just talking through the problem solving process. It shows that the person has thought about the problem and is willing to put forth some effort. That's what is important at the end of the day- effort and learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 August 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Is this a case of just a big misunderstanding?

It could very well be. I'm open to that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

This site is the only site I know that will help you through the learning process. This being said I think that taking a step back from personal feeling in these matters helps everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#26 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think at this point maybe just chalk it up to a misunderstanding. It is a text environment after all, and people may not interpret tone well all the time. And for future reference, when asking questions, remember to provide the code, the errors, and any other important details so our members can best help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

POPULAR

You've got it stuck in your head that we're bashing you. There's a difference between insults and criticisms. You say try to see it from your point of view, but I suggest you take your own advice. We help hundreds of people a day directly, and tens of thousands indirectly (via google hits on older answers). We're a relatively successful forum. We must be doing something right. So either we're just rude assholes and nobody else cares, or we're not being rude and you're being hypersensitive. Maybe it's a bit of both. But you need to know it's not that people dislike you personally; they're just a bit more blunt than you're apparently used to.

I'm sorry if you can't make that distinction, but that's the way it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 August 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I am sure rudeness can happen on both sides. But just because someone else is rude as well doesn't excuse ones own rudeness.

Well, unfortunately I dont have access to the original thread or its not showing up on Tapatalk. So I can't comment on that exact thread but I know many threads in which it happens. Do we really need to turn this into a witch hunt? I know ahead of time thats not going to solve anything. We all know it happens. I am sure Hitler had great justifications for what he did also.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#29 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

As a site Administrator, if there is a case of members being outright rude and unwelcoming, I want to handle it. The OP opened this thread with a complaint from a specific thread, so I don't see it as a witch hunt, but rather an attempt to address the concerns. The Hitler comment is really coming out of left field. I think if you're comparing our members to Hitler, then that comment is just inappropriate and tasteless.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

POPULAR

For the record, OP, I for one am sorry that you got a negative first-ish impression of DIC. All of the users here are here on a voluntary basis, and some of them (saints, I tell you) browse the forums for HOURS trying to help everybody. Sometimes, there's an overabundance of crap on here, such as "gimme t3h c0d3z" and spam, and after sifting through countless threads like this, they do sometimes get a little jaded and start getting curt and blunt, and may come off rude. The point is, they're still here to help, and doing so voluntarily, so if they're being a little blunt, there might be a legitimate reason. If you want the best help, you have to give the best effort to be helped. So, for future reference, be as specific as you can with your questions, describe the errors, copy and paste any compiler errors, list all logic errors and incorrect behavior as thoroughly as possible, and give every bit of relevant code (in code tags) as possible, and they can better help you. I'm glad you're taking this up as a personal task, and not for school or work, it really is a rewarding hobby. Good luck in your endeavors. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +