2 Replies - 2692 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mobile development - what to learn?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hello!

I'm starting an internship in late August, and I'm going to develop mobile applications using Objective C, Java and HTML5/JQuery Mobile.

The problem is, where to start? I've started out with Android, but there's a thousand topics I could work with. But what is important for enterprise applications? I've made a checklist for the least amount of knowledge I need for each language.

• Basic syntax for the languages
  • Making a dynamic list
  • Using images
  • Different screens working together, Eg. click list open details for list element
  • Basic layout management
  • Database connection using CRUD(Create, Read, Update & Delete) methods
  • Working with at least one API

Pretty standard, but anything important or lesser important I might have missed? I'm still in school, so I haven't worked with "real" enterprise applications.

Also, if there are any important architectural design patterns specifically for mobile platforms, please share, I haven't found anything useful yet.

Hope you can help me,
Daniel

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile development - what to learn?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile development - what to learn?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

First things first - can you setup a dev environment? Android that's a bit of a pain, and I am unclear with OSX.

Next - I would become familiar with the controls available.. Do you know when one works and one shouldn't be used?

Then some sort of interaction with a webservice. Gotta shuffle data back and forth or why have a closed off app?

Skim common patterns for UI/UX. See about implementing them.

Take all of that and roll a basic application that touches on those area and then port that to your other environments as a base competency.. and then go from there. Worrying about complex business apps is going to be something that is relative to the company, right? No need to freak out over that until you cross that bridge.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Mobile development - what to learn?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Awesome, I hadn't thought of it in that way, I'll definitely go through those points!

Appreciate it! Thanks alot :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1