1 Replies - 1247 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Relocation

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

So, for those of you that have relocated before, is there anything you should really watch out for in relocation?

(From the perspective of a recent graduate in early 20s)
So far my experience of things to watch out for as I relocate in the next few weeks to Kansas City:

- Pay attention to local crime rates and reports of issues in the neighborhoods.

- Tour apartments, and do so for at least 3-4 to get an idea of what to expect. Don't commit to ANYTHING until you have a contract signed in blood with your employer.

- Don't go for the most expensive thing you can find, aim for at max 25-30% of your income on rent.

- Find out about traffic patterns, the last thing you want is to sign a lease in traffic jam prime time.

- READ the reviews on everything

- When at an apartment, pay attention to the average age of cars and appearance of the patrons. If there are a lot of old junkers and run down things it's probably not going to be a good idea.

- READ THE LEASE. Sometimes they tend to sneak in a lot of things, such as one I looked at gave you crappy appliances and it was $50 a month to upgrade them. Know what you're getting into.

- Have an escape plan. If things go bad, have enough cash to back yourself up and haul out if need be. Even if completely unlikely, having the option is far better than having your back to the wall if things go south.

- Make sure to be close to resources like shopping and gas, it saves tons of commuting later on.

- If it sounds too good to be true, it is, always.

Any thoughts? Any horrible misconceptions I have from that so far?

This post has been edited by Lemur: 31 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Relocation

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Relocation

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Not everyone relocates to apartments.
I just got through changing employers and relocating more than 1,000 miles. But I'm an RV'er. So my household relocation was a matter of hooking up my rig and driving. But there are still considerations:
  • Does the RV park have year-around accommodations?
  • Do you want a location that caters to kids?
  • Are utilities included? Are they any good? For example some RV parks include high speed Wi-Fi but others you pay by week with data speed caps.
  • Do they allow pets?

Here are some other things to consider about relocating...
Does the new employer offer relocation reimbursement/assistance?
What does it cover? What is the max limit?
  • Driving: fuel or by the miles?
  • Temporary housing (hotel)
  • Flights
  • Meals while traveling
  • Freight for household goods
  • Relocation costs for your spouse (or domestic partner)
  • Relocation costs for your pets
  • Fees for selling your previous house
  • Fees for buying your new house (really, this is listed in my new employer's deal documents)
  • Does the new area have medical coverage within your insurance plan's provider list?
  • Reimbursement for passport/visa (if international relocation)
  • Are you going to have membership/Subscription issues when you move?
    • Gym
    • Massage
    • TV Cable / Satellite
    • Pre-paid oil changes

• What about nearby recreation that you like? Lake, ski, bowling, shooting range, hiking trails. If you like astronomy consider your altitude: Thin dry high-altitude air of Denver is a lot better than thick humid air at 20 feet altitude of Florida.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1