6 Replies - 1242 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2014 - 01:40 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Nightmare in.. design!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

A B&N tweek came through about 'Essential Science Fiction books to have read'. It lead me to this link:

http://www.geeksugar...-Books-29835523

Hmm.. Okay I have never been to this site and was getting the lay of the land. I see a 'next' and 'previous' button.. and a 1/20

17 books on that list.. two ads, and a title page. Hmm.. not quite a large list, but I'll do. After flipping through the list I see the book blurbs are about 40-50 words.. Not ideal; maybe there's a "print" or "see all at once" magic button? Nope.

A bit frustrated I skimmed the rest of the site.. and notice I was scrolling.. and scrolling.. and scrolling.. through crap! I found that a bit odd and zoomed out my browser.

Here's what I was greeted with: (The green is the actual content.. the red is the crap).

Spoiler

I get it..there's a need to make some money and show your content, but damn if that isn't the most lopsided content to cruft I've seen in a long time.

From their 'about':

POPSUGAR is where content and commerce collide.

POPSUGAR delivers the biggest moments, the hottest trends and the best tips in entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, and food, and the ability to shop for it all, in one place.

More like where content is cowed and broken by the giant Red Bull of Commerce as content meekly is pushed into the sea.

I would also have liked to been in the planning meetings...

"Hmmm... we need more LINKS! Compact the content! Squeeze the bloated juices from the nooks and cranies, and tack more links to the bottom of the page!".
... two months later: "MOOOAAAAAAR LINKZ! Tack them to the bottom of the page! ".
... five months later: "My need for MOAR LINKZ has not been satiated! Chop the content into a 'deck slide'! Tack more links to the bottom!"
... one month later: "MOOOAAAAAAR LINKZ! Tack them to the bottom of the page! ".
... three months later: "Cap the content to fifty words! Add advertisements in the slide deck! Tack more cruft to the bottom!".

I get these 'best of' and 'hottest trend' sites are not content creators, but more of a parasitic content aggregaters, but damn. This is a horrid design.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Nightmare in.. design!

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Nightmare in.. design!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I do not like when web pages put all that junk on the sides or the bottom as the page is doing. MSN.com also does this.----I think this distracts from the actual point of the page.....I guess that is what happens when you let accountants or money hungry people take over the interwebs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ha.. true.. at least MSN has a substantially lower crap to content ratio per page..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

... eight months later
(Intern) "Boss! I found a flaw in our design!"
Spoiler

(Intern) "It's great boss! We now have more space for..."
(Le B0ss) "MOAR LINKZ!! QUICK!!"

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I like how you added stars instead of just making it yellow or something. I imagine to be sparkling... twinkling to draw attention to its empty spaciousness... like an animated gif pulled straight from old school MySpace comment boards.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 02 August 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I like how you added stars instead of just making it yellow or something. I imagine to be sparkling... twinkling to draw attention to its empty spaciousness... like an animated gif pulled straight from old school MySpace comment boards.

(Intern) "Boss! Maybe this will draw their attention to scroll down!"
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Day in the office completely bored because I finished most of my work and this made my day xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1