• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

67 Replies - 5062 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

What made you get into programming?

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

How did you guys get into programming? What was the first language you learned and how long did it take you to fully understand it?

EDIT: Also, which programming language do you prefer the most and why?

This post has been edited by streek405: 03 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What made you get into programming?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What made you get into programming?

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

I began learning programming on a PDP-8 in the early- to mid-70s using Assembly and then FOCAL. I never fully understood either of those languages, because during the school year, new hardware was acquired (a PDP-10?) that had a BASIC interpreter, so most of us in the class migrated, running, to BASIC. FORTRAN was also available, but I merely dabbled in that. Again, I didn't fully understand either of those languages. Time on the computer was too short, and there was no ability to practice outside of class.

Even now, after studying Java for 3 - 4 years, I can't claim to fully understand it, and I probably never will.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

I had this old VTech laptop for kiddies back when I was like 11 or so and it had a BASIC compiler and the book had some commands and sample programs. Well, I got sick of doing Math Blaster-esque games and gave it a try. Combine that with my love of video games, and the rest is history.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

I got into programming when I was sitting in my house all summer. I then found out about C, I started to learn that on a website called cprogramming.com. I didn't like the way the tutorials were set up so I stopped after about 2 months of that. About 3-4 months later one of my friends told me about Python, so I checked it out, and started learning it on Codecademy.com. I loved it the moment I laided my eyes on the blocks of code, I knew that Python was the language for me. Since then I have learned HTML/CSS, and I'm know working on Javascript.
I have been studying Python for 'bout 1/2 a year now, and I highly doubt I will ever know the full language, being that there are 100's if not 1000's of modules

This post has been edited by DblAAssassin: 03 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostGregBrannon, on 03 August 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I began learning programming on a PDP-8 in the early- to mid-70s using Assembly and then FOCAL. I never fully understood either of those languages, because during the school year, new hardware was acquired (a PDP-10?) that had a BASIC interpreter, so most of us in the class migrated, running, to BASIC. FORTRAN was also available, but I merely dabbled in that. Again, I didn't fully understand either of those languages. Time on the computer was too short, and there was no ability to practice outside of class.

Even now, after studying Java for 3 - 4 years, I can't claim to fully understand it, and I probably never will.

Wow, so I guess some languages are much more difficult than other ones...
Do you prefer Java the most?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

When I was in 7th grade, I was in the computer lab with a few of my other nerdy friends. Our school had an internet filter on search keywords, so I tried to see if I could bypass the swear words by trying different spellings of swear words. Lately, all the "cool kids" had been saying beatch (read: bee-yatch). I accidentally typed batch, and batch files came up on wikipedia. I clicked on it and read about it, and later that night I made my first batch script on my laptop that repeated the lines of a Billy Mays commercial in pretty colors. I made some rinky-dinky scripts for a while when I was bored.

By 7th grade, I was playing a shit-ton of Xbox 360 games, and being a kid that liked to tinker with stuff, I got into modding. I noticed all of these complex modding programs that developers had made, so I decided to give it a try. I asked around about what languages their programs were made in, and that was when I got my first book on C#. (I remember it vividly because I got it in the mail on my 12th birthday (July 17, 2009). So I guess that was when I started programming :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 03 August 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

When I was in 7th grade, I was in the computer lab with a few of my other nerdy friends. Our school had an internet filter on search keywords, so I tried to see if I could bypass the swear words by trying different spellings of swear words. Lately, all the "cool kids" had been saying beatch (read: bee-yatch). I accidentally typed batch, and batch files came up on wikipedia. I clicked on it and read about it, and later that night I made my first batch script on my laptop that repeated the lines of a Billy Mays commercial in pretty colors. I made some rinky-dinky scripts for a while when I was bored.

By 7th grade, I was playing a shit-ton of Xbox 360 games, and being a kid that liked to tinker with stuff, I got into modding. I noticed all of these complex modding programs that developers had made, so I decided to give it a try. I asked around about what languages their programs were made in, and that was when I got my first book on C#. (I remember it vividly because I got it in the mail on my 12th birthday (July 17, 2009). So I guess that was when I started programming :)/>.

Wow 12 years old and you got into programming! I wish I got into it that early...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Back in the 80's while attending Primary school which is the New Zealand equivalent to Elementary School in America. I was in Standard 4 which I think is 4th grade, our class got new computers and it was there where I started tinkering with computers and became fascinated with them. Back then there was no windows so all the commands where initiated in MS-DOS if I remember correctly? Alot has changed since those days. Im currently doing a Degree in ICT. In software engineering we are learning C#. I have no previous knowledge of this programming language and hope to gain a strong knowledge in this programming language and more.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

How did you guys get into programming?

We were having problems with our inventory system, needed an easier way of adding new products. So started learning the dBase II database language. Back then there was no DOS, we were using CPM and Sneaker net networking.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

POPULAR

My mom told me I was useless, so I learned Java...
Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostAZE2013, on 03 August 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Back in the 80's while attending Primary school which is the New Zealand equivalent to Elementary School in America. I was in Standard 4 which I think is 4th grade, our class got new computers and it was there where I started tinkering with computers and became fascinated with them. Back then there was no windows so all the commands where initiated in MS-DOS if I remember correctly? Alot has changed since those days. Im currently doing a Degree in ICT. In software engineering we are learning C#. I have no previous knowledge of this programming language and hope to gain a strong knowledge in this programming language and more.

If only I got into computers in the forth grade, instead of Pokemon...

View Postfarrell2k, on 03 August 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

My mom told me I was useless, so I learned Java...

LOL! But look at you now! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

POPULAR

View Poststreek405, on 04 August 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

LOL! But look at you now! :D/>

Older, balder, and still useless. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I started programming about a year ago or two ago. I wanted to be a jack of all trades kind of person since I was going to college for my Web Design degree. I really don't want to depend on someone else just to get my work done so I want to learn photography and programming. I can learn photography from my brother and I will just learn programming by myself or I will take online classes...Anything to get me to learn more on as many programming languages as I can.

Oh, and the first programming language I got started on was C++ and it's still taking me some time to apply it to my memory. Though I think that one can never really finish their studies on a programming language as there is always something to learn.

This post has been edited by Mernate: 03 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

I was a psych major with 2 years left and followed programming methodology from stanford on iTunes U because I was bored. During the end of the fall semester I changed to computer science and now life's a bitch.

Also, python. It just feels so much cleaner than java or any of the languages I've played with. No wasted characters or space.

This post has been edited by ConciselyVerbose: 03 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

When I was like 10 my brother brought a computer home for the summer from school. I was really interested in it and started looking at programs that were loaded off the tape drive. I spent the next summer in summer school learning how to program BASIC. I programmed BASIC for quite some time until I was introduced to COBOL and Pascal. While the rest of the class was working on Pascal in the second of the two courses on it I learned C. From there I picked up other languages in university and on my own. Currently C# is my favorite language. I find it really enjoyable to work with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »