• +
  • « First

67 Replies - 5055 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What made you get into programming?

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 03 August 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

When I was in 7th grade, I was in the computer lab with a few of my other nerdy friends. Our school had an internet filter on search keywords, so I tried to see if I could bypass the swear words by trying different spellings of swear words. Lately, all the "cool kids" had been saying beatch (read: bee-yatch). I accidentally typed batch, and batch files came up on wikipedia. I clicked on it and read about it, and later that night I made my first batch script on my laptop that repeated the lines of a Billy Mays commercial in pretty colors. I made some rinky-dinky scripts for a while when I was bored.

By 7th grade, I was playing a shit-ton of Xbox 360 games, and being a kid that liked to tinker with stuff, I got into modding. I noticed all of these complex modding programs that developers had made, so I decided to give it a try. I asked around about what languages their programs were made in, and that was when I got my first book on C#. (I remember it vividly because I got it in the mail on my 12th birthday (July 17, 2009). So I guess that was when I started programming :)/>.

Man I think we both are very alike i got into c# the same way :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

I got into programming when i was about 11 yrs old. I was always very curious of how the developers made such cool programs, Then one day on my computer i searched for that on google. Than I cam to know about VB and started looking for tutorials and when i saw those block of code it was like music to my eyes :P. Then when i got the hand of it on 2011 I wanted to go more advanced than i came to know about c#. and up till know i'm still learning it..
I Got so into computer my mother started to get worried about me 'I told her, mum I was made for this thing, and you cant stop a guy from his destiny!'
So this is how I got into programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I was only introduced to programming a little under 2 years ago, grade 11. I had done a little PHP/HTML/Blah in the previous year, but somehow I never looked into the world of programming, I was just doing what I had to in class. Year 11 we moved to VB.Net, and had to make a game based on a movie of our choosing. I ended up making a Yogi Bear catch the pies game. During my learning of VB.Net I had came across all this c/c++/java/c# stuff, which I then took an interest in, knowing that I was quite capable of learning programming. Heck, the teacher was even asking how to detect if an object is off screen, or how to open a window by the next week, though his experience was very little.

Eventually I decided on Java for it's widespread use (I don't really like it now, but it's rather useful). I worked on it for a bit, and then got somewhat bored of it, so I stopped for a while), maybe up to a year later I really wanted to get back into it, so I did. At this time, I had no interest in anything, and now programming is really my only interest, not including any media.

I would do anything to go back in time and start programming at a younger age. This still bothers me a little today, but that's not going to happen >.<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I do it for the bitches.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#65 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

My favorite twist on that meme was always:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

When I was a kid, I was on AOL. There was a video game keyword (like a website, but you didnt access it via web browser) called Antagonist, INC. I didn't like the fact that they reviewed one of my favorite games poorly, so I started a counter group.

A friend of mine showed me how to make punters (sends an HTML string over instant message that would cause AOL to freeze) on AOL so we could punt members of the keyword offline whenever we saw them login. We did it in Visual Basic 3.0.

I did more of that sort of thing, making AOL third party applications (known as "progz" because everyone who wrote this stuff was probably in HS or middle school) for a while, got bored. Eventually after graduating highschool I decided I hated working in warehouses, and went and learned real programming at a college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

I like to make programs even though I'm terrible at them.. and for school mainly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First