• +
  • Last »

67 Replies - 4987 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What made you get into programming?

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

I was probably between sixth and seventh grade. I ended up spending the summer with a kid from England I really clicked with. He played a good game of chess, was into all the geeky stuff I was, and raved about his VIC-20. After a few lines of BASIC, I was hooked. Programming was simply the best game I'd ever played.

Even with all the radical changes since then, programming is still my favorite game. It's even better now than it was then. I haven't played chess in years.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Over the summer of 2010, I was at a family reunion. A number of my family members had smartphones and iPads, and I felt left out without one. I thought it was cool how people were so enamored with the technology. Soon after the reunion, I saw my dad working on his website. Mostly to humor him, I asked him how it worked. (He's an IT guy, but he was a FORTRAN programmer back in the day.) He gave me a basic introduction to the concept of programming, and I found it fascinating, so I asked how I could try it. He eventually set me up with Visual Basic and gave me a run-down. I made a "Hello, " + name GUI app, and never touched VB again. Around the same time, I got my first smartphone: an iPhone 4. (This is back when they were really cool and comparatively rare.) I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever, mostly because of the hardware and circuitry, actually, which seemed magical to me. Basically, at this point, I stopped taking computers for granted. I then decided to learn Java, so I watched a couple videos from TheNewBoston, and got to work. I was a busy high school sophomore / RuneScape addict at the time, so I didn't do a lot of programming. But I felt sort of cool having scratched the surface of what I thought was a fairly esoteric discipline, and I thought I could fall back on programming as a career if aerospace engineering didn't work out. After I stopped gaming all the time (over the summer of 2011), I started programming all the time. I was still a complete noob, struggling with OOP, and painfully ignorant in retrospect. But I stuck with it, and it paid off. I look back affectionately at my evolution as a programmer. It's fun stuff.

My favorite programming language is either Javascript or C++. I enjoy both because they don't impose a specific paradigm on you; they give you lots of freedom, and they're both useful in many domains.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I got a knock on the door. It was a friend of mine who had just come back from art school. He pulled the bottle of vodka from my hand, told me I was a drunk, and said we're making a video game so I better learn to program right quick. A few months later I had a job offer in LA, and he got a little mopey that I already had a job offer. So he was online one day chatting with a internet friend who recognized is moping about. The guy said to him, "in 5 minutes you'll be getting a phone call, take the offer." Five minutes later he got a phone call from a game studio in New York, they flew him up there, and he got a job there. Turned out this internet friend of his was some famous 3d artist in the industry, an artist my buddy knew of and followed, and he had no idea he had been talking to him this entire time.

And that's when I actually started to program.

In all actuality though, I sub-consciously knew I was moving towards it since childhood. I just never had the catalyst to actually sit down and train myself. I had already consumed multiple books on this history of programming, architecture of different types of processors out there, and other various material. I had always thought I was reading those books just out of pure fun as I'm the type who always just read shit to read it... never thinking I'd actually use that information for a career.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

My science teacher bought one of the first TRS-80 model 1's when then came out, and brought it to school. It was magical. I stayed after school every day to type in BASIC programs from a book and save to cassette tape. That's how I reverse-engineered my understanding of a language.

Then I bought a VIC-20 with the massive 8k memory expansion module.
Then a Commodore-64 with the massive 1.3m capacity floppy drive (1581 drive)

Internet... What's that? We dial up a BBS server directly through the 1200 baud modem.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Oh wait... that was kinda historical too, huh?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

They bought some ZX81s at school. I'm sure I started by typing my name ten times IN CAPITALS, then wondered "what else can it do?".

They eventually had two 380Zs. These were large black boxes, but no manuals. There was a disk with Algol on it but, again, no manual. I spent a lot of time typing "help something" and hoping something would appear :hammer:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostAVReidy, on 04 August 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Over the summer of 2010, I was at a family reunion. A number of my family members had smartphones and iPads, and I felt left out without one. I thought it was cool how people were so enamored with the technology. Soon after the reunion, I saw my dad working on his website. Mostly to humor him, I asked him how it worked. (He's an IT guy, but he was a FORTRAN programmer back in the day.) He gave me a basic introduction to the concept of programming, and I found it fascinating, so I asked how I could try it. He eventually set me up with Visual Basic and gave me a run-down. I made a "Hello, " + name GUI app, and never touched VB again. Around the same time, I got my first smartphone: an iPhone 4. (This is back when they were really cool and comparatively rare.) I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever, mostly because of the hardware and circuitry, actually, which seemed magical to me. Basically, at this point, I stopped taking computers for granted. I then decided to learn Java, so I watched a couple videos from TheNewBoston, and got to work. I was a busy high school sophomore / RuneScape addict at the time, so I didn't do a lot of programming. But I felt sort of cool having scratched the surface of what I thought was a fairly esoteric discipline, and I thought I could fall back on programming as a career if aerospace engineering didn't work out. After I stopped gaming all the time (over the summer of 2011), I started programming all the time. I was still a complete noob, struggling with OOP, and painfully ignorant in retrospect. But I stuck with it, and it paid off. I look back affectionately at my evolution as a programmer. It's fun stuff.

My favorite programming language is either Javascript or C++. I enjoy both because they don't impose a specific paradigm on you; they give you lots of freedom, and they're both useful in many domains.

Really? Professional Coding is my back-up to Aerospace as well; but I will always code as a hobby!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was playing minecraft and I started thinking to myself; this is obviously a 3d array of some kind with logic to affect the specific block.

then I wondered how it worked and I looked up opengl and didnt understand what it was and how java came into it and then looked into java and just...got...sucked...in.

a few months later I emerge from my stinky coding nest and managed to get myself a place at a uni after a successful interview just like that :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

When I was 10, my father's friend came over with a box of parts and said "Happy birthday, you get to build your own computer!"

He sat with me for a few hours and showed me how to put the PC together, determine the jumper settings on the motherboard, etc. Pretty soon I had a working computer. After getting bored of the games I had on it I wanted more, so begged my parents to get the internets. So they did.

One of the first sites I found was basically a blog. It was a kid explaining how he made the page and he's only 14. I was like "hey I could do that then too" and I dug around, signed up for GeoCities, and made some stupid page.

That evolved into learning to run my own server, learning javascript, and eventually PHP.

Life went on, I was working in kitchens and hated life, and a friend of mine gets me an interview at Siemens to do basic tech support. Things turned around, and I was writing autohotkey scripts to make my job easier.

Decided to go to school to get a more solid understanding, and now I've got my first programming gig. I'm happy with the way that worked out.

Favorite language? Probably PHP or Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

I got in it for the pay---- or was it because i got sick of companies closing while I worked at them-----no it was the pay
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postdepricated, on 05 August 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Siemens

Ewwwwwwwwww Delta controls 5eva

(jk)

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 05 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

science fair.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I started programming for fun. In 3rd grade I was in an advanced class and we were taught Basic on the Apple IIe. In high school I programmed by TI-81 to play 3D Tic Tac Toe. It would win ~95% of the time if it won the coin flip and went first.

As an adult my company was bought out. I was sick of making a bad living being a dishonest salesman. I also wanted more money. So I went back to school to get a 2nd degree. I didn't care about what, just so I didn't have to deal with sales anymore. I tested off the chart for programming (had a Bachelor's degree in Music and had taken two years of German). They pushed me into that track. It was one of the best decisions of my life.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostRobin19, on 05 August 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

I started programming for fun. In 3rd grade I was in an advanced class and we were taught Basic on the Apple IIe. In high school I programmed by TI-81 to play 3D Tic Tac Toe. It would win ~95% of the time if it won the coin flip and went first.

As an adult my company was bought out. I was sick of making a bad living being a dishonest salesman. I also wanted more money. So I went back to school to get a 2nd degree. I didn't care about what, just so I didn't have to deal with sales anymore. I tested off the chart for programming (had a Bachelor's degree in Music and had taken two years of German). They pushed me into that track. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

I was in sales as well. and liek i posted i had 3 companies closed and decided it was time to get into a new line of work
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

@ DblAAssassin

I gave up on studying aerospace engineering. I taught myself a lot about it when I was younger, and I could make one hell of a paper airplane, but I fell in love with software because I enjoy the comparatively-rapid feedback loop you get when writing code. I think computer science is a deeper field, too, and I like how I can write software for so many domains -- including aerospace. I think aviation will always be something I enjoy, and I would like to write embedded software for air/spacecraft someday, but I would be content keeping aviation a hobby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

I guess my love for computing was started when I was in high school. We had an introduction to typing class working on the old macintoshes. One day we had a sub and during the class we found a service on the network that allowed us to send pretty much anonymous messages to one another. It was real fun messaging the others telling them random stuff like "You are ugly" etc. Later a friend of mine told me about how he could chat with others over the Internet in chat rooms. So I went to his house and watched over his shoulder as he would go into chat rooms and again make fun of people and such.

That is when I fell in love with the Internet and got access at home as a graduation present. As I would chat endless nights I would also surf the web. The chat programs I got into were scriptable and thus introduced me to the beginning of programming which I then took C++ as my first official language in college. I also started doing web design as a way to build a website for my chat friends online.

The rest is history.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »