• (5 Pages)
  • +

67 Replies - 4942 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What made you get into programming?

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostConciselyVerbose, on 03 August 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Also, python. It just feels so much cleaner than java or any of the languages I've played with. No wasted characters or space.

Apart from having to write "self" in every method signature ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

View Poststreek405, on 03 August 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

How did you guys get into programming? What was the first language you learned and how long did it take you to fully understand it?

EDIT: Also, which programming language do you prefer the most and why?

I think it all started with my 4th grade teacher who convinced me that robots and computers could do anything imaginable. I dreamed of robots doing the things I didn't want to do, like cleaning my room. I guess it was a couple years later when the local community college offered a "Kid's College" where they had a day long computer class. They taught us how to draw things with asterisks in BASIC. I thought I then knew everything there was to programming computers and proceeded to pester my parents and grandparents into buying me my first computer. They eventually did and I started programming at age 12. I had a friend who was into all kinds of stuff like electronics and game programming, and so he helped me get started.

I had an unbelievably awesome book written to teach children BASIC and it surprisingly did an excelent job of it. I was writing spaghetti code until I got to college and took a Pascal class, but at least I was able to learn programming from that book, a few tips from friends, and programming example code for games.

I'm not sure I have a "favorite" language that I code everything in. Assembler is my favorite, by far, because everything is logical and you never see a point where you can't look at the raw code. (VB6 was the exact opposite, where the ActiveX components that it was built on where almost always buggy and almost completly undocumented causing more frustration than anything else.) But the way things are today, you can't do anything without a library or API, and even in Assembler you're not likely to disassemble the API and try to figure things out, normally. So, you might as well just go ahead and do things in C++, which is one of my favorites.

I suppose my favorite these days is C#. It's my "go-to" language for doing anything and everything. It's just a lot easier than C++, less prone to bugs, encourages object oriented thinking, has an enormously robust library, and is 100 times faster to develop in. Yet, it's powerful enough for most everything 9 out of 10 times. It's spoiled me and makes it hard to go back to C++. But I'm certainly thinking much more object oriented now when I do go back to C++.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 05 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

I first started programming after I watched The Perfect Score and one of the main characters programs some Visual Basic, only for a few seconds, but damn it looked cool. So after that I asked my brother (who had already been programming for a couple of years) about it and he showed me some code and I then bought a book on Java. I'd say it took me about a year to get a good handle of programming in Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

I got in it for the bitches
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

mIRC scripting did it for me :) I got my toes wet, then later on bought a C++ and delphi book
Was 11-12 when starting mIRC scripting I think
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

oh man, mirc scripting brings back some memories.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yeah I was into the mIRC scripting scene pretty big back in the day. It certainly was, and probably still is, a fun way to get into some programming. Many of us back from the day learned to build our first web servers, mail, ftp programs, read our first protocols and the infamous ban scripts. It was wild wild west out there. You and your friends protecting the channel against others who would attack it with floods, splits etc. Hard if you just wanted to chat, but certainly kept you on your toes.

Good fun.

:)

... Well, except back when win95/98 had that nasty exploit called WinNuke. Pretty much send anyone a certain type of data and windows would choke on it. Freeze up your whole machine and cause you to reboot. Sucked.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 05 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostConciselyVerbose, on 03 August 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

I was a psych major with 2 years left and followed programming methodology from stanford on iTunes U because I was bored. During the end of the fall semester I changed to computer science and now life's a bitch.

Also, python. It just feels so much cleaner than java or any of the languages I've played with. No wasted characters or space.

What do you mean by wasted characters or space? And why is life a bitch now? lol

View Postlordofduct, on 04 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I got a knock on the door. It was a friend of mine who had just come back from art school. He pulled the bottle of vodka from my hand, told me I was a drunk, and said we're making a video game so I better learn to program right quick. A few months later I had a job offer in LA, and he got a little mopey that I already had a job offer. So he was online one day chatting with a internet friend who recognized is moping about. The guy said to him, "in 5 minutes you'll be getting a phone call, take the offer." Five minutes later he got a phone call from a game studio in New York, they flew him up there, and he got a job there. Turned out this internet friend of his was some famous 3d artist in the industry, an artist my buddy knew of and followed, and he had no idea he had been talking to him this entire time.

And that's when I actually started to program.

In all actuality though, I sub-consciously knew I was moving towards it since childhood. I just never had the catalyst to actually sit down and train myself. I had already consumed multiple books on this history of programming, architecture of different types of processors out there, and other various material. I had always thought I was reading those books just out of pure fun as I'm the type who always just read shit to read it... never thinking I'd actually use that information for a career.

View Postlordofduct, on 04 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I got a knock on the door. It was a friend of mine who had just come back from art school. He pulled the bottle of vodka from my hand, told me I was a drunk, and said we're making a video game so I better learn to program right quick. A few months later I had a job offer in LA, and he got a little mopey that I already had a job offer. So he was online one day chatting with a internet friend who recognized is moping about. The guy said to him, "in 5 minutes you'll be getting a phone call, take the offer." Five minutes later he got a phone call from a game studio in New York, they flew him up there, and he got a job there. Turned out this internet friend of his was some famous 3d artist in the industry, an artist my buddy knew of and followed, and he had no idea he had been talking to him this entire time.

And that's when I actually started to program.

In all actuality though, I sub-consciously knew I was moving towards it since childhood. I just never had the catalyst to actually sit down and train myself. I had already consumed multiple books on this history of programming, architecture of different types of processors out there, and other various material. I had always thought I was reading those books just out of pure fun as I'm the type who always just read shit to read it... never thinking I'd actually use that information for a career.

Wow thats crazy! My goal is to someday work for a gaming company and reading that story makes me want to learn programming even more
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

they don't hire people who quote like you quote.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

I started programming when i was 15 in BASIC it was program to determine the max number of the two :)/>, i was already into the computer stuff few years before that but it was always somebody else computer never mine, then 2 years later at 17 my wish came true and i got my first computer, but instead of getting books and compilers i got into gaming like most of my peers my age :(/>, i didn't start programming again until i was 24.

Today my favorite is C#, and just like BBeck said

It's just a lot easier than C++, less prone to bugs, encourages object oriented thinking, has an enormously robust library, and is 100 times faster to develop in. Yet, it's powerful enough for most everything 9 out of 10 times. It's spoiled me and makes it hard to go back to C++. But I'm certainly thinking much more object oriented now when I do go back to C++.

This post has been edited by Michael26: 09 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

I started programming in the early to mid 90's when I took a BASIC book home from the school library. I didn't have a PC at the time so I had to use an Amstrad PCW with LocoBASIC I think it was called and work out the stuff that was different to the book. Then in the late 90's I downloaded a cracked version of VB6 over a 56k modem which took a whole day at 64mb. By this point my interests were wandering and I had started to turn to the dark side. I wrote a trojan that would steal peoples usernames and passwords for a certain voice chat program, which was pretty easy as the password was stored un-encrypted locally in a directory. Then I went to college and learned Pascal and Delphi before I dropped out to become a welder. I gave up on computers for a few years before I decided to go to university and get a degree. Now I am a software developer and In my spare time when I am not spending time with my family and kids I do the whole information security thing, only now with white hat intentions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

Omg is your name seriously dickturnip? Fucking lol!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Took a class at high school, Introduction to c++. Then learned Java after that which became the main language I used at college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was thought I sussed out how programming could work when I was playing minecraft, I was right, but a little bit of research blew up into a full blown hobby, now im taking it to university XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I started cause of effin' Neopets.... -_- Them darn petpages and wanting to win a stupid award for my page. That was just web design but that got me looking into web programming that got me into software programming.... I had the coolest teacher in high school that taught me COBOL and VB, then did some Python on my own at home and C# in college and here I am. I started a hella alot later in life than most people I know. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +