5 Replies - 974 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2013 - 08:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Visual Basic - Game development

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Good morning. I'm a total newbie to Visual basic, but I'm learning pretty well. I pretty much love games, And I wanna start making games in Visual Basic, But I've heard many stuff that, use C++/C#/C. I never really tried any of those. I started out Visual Basic about a week ago, And I'll say I'm going good. But my question is : Is Visual Basic a good programming language? If not, Which one should I go for?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Visual Basic - Game development

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Basic - Game development

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

I love visual basic. It's my strongest language. You'll get a lot of opinions all over the internet about which language is "best" but those are just that, opinions. At the end of the day you are the one who has to decide which language is best for you, When it comes to game development though, in my experience it's been difficult to find tutorials in VB.Net. Most have been C#, Python, or Java. I did find one really good VB.Net tutorial for XNA though and it can be located here Adventures In XNA this person goes into depth with all his tutorials, and is absolutely amazing at explaining them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

I understand that XNA will no longer be developed. There are a few alternatives (for .NET) discussed here at lifehacker.

As you've been looking into VB.NET for only a week, and its going well, I would progress with it for a while. Cover all the fundamentals that you'll need for any programming language:

Variables, loops, conditionals, functions, arrays, collections, etc.
(I have a tutorial linked in my signature.)

Then you can decide if you prefer to move to another language which might be considered more specific for gaming.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 04 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Well, thank you for all the opinions. I just needed a heads up of went to start game programming. Thank you for that, Andrew. And thank you for the epic tutorial series ybadragon. I will totally look into them. ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

Woah, I already read that post. It helped me understand most of the basics, I really am thankful to Andrew for that. I already covered those stuff o-o
I think I've covered most of the basics.
Plus, are there intermediate tutorials because I think I covered most of things from Console commands to Ctype.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

I've been interested in game development since I was a little kid. Now that I've started programming(simply out of hobby, I don't get paid), I've the opportunity to start game programming. As Andrew pointed out, the fundamentals are essential. Imagine trying to play baseball without knowing how to run the bases. One thing I don't agree with Andrew on is XNA no longer being developed. It was a rumor that wasn't nipped at the bud, so it spread.

I'm very active with XNA in VB.Net, more specifically XNA in Windows Form Applications. The difference between what I'm doing and what other "pure" XNA applications are doing is that I don't use the content pipeline. Which essentially means that I have more control of the XNA. The reason why this is important is, if you want someone else to work on your game, they don't have to have the XNA platform, just the framework.

If you're interested in game development(after you've learned the basics!!!) take a look at a few of my tutorials. This here is the tutorials and this here is just an XNA Control.

If you're interested in game programming, but just want to stick with what VB.Net provides, I also have quite a few games developed in just GDI+. My biggest achievement is a pure GDI+ 2d tile based map engine as well as a pure GDI+ 2d tile based map creator. Here are all the games I've made in just GDI+. Take a look at how I structure them, and study them.

This post has been edited by dday9: 08 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1