2 Replies - 277 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2013 - 08:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Seeking advice about game making

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hello guys, I am an amateur programmer who has been programming in C++ for 15 months..

I am familiar with the basics of C++..

I used to make text console games, now I have learnt about the device interface SDL which I can use to interact with the graphics card and SDL comes with OpenGL which is a graphics renderer.. okay now will I be able to make powerful games with what I am currently using? I really have no idea of my limitations with what I am using.. so if I learn the SDL & OpenGL API well enough will I be able to make complex games? Do I require any other tools or software? (apart from assets like models which I can download for free, music : free, art : free)..

In other words, can I do everything a standard game needs in just the SDL library (which includes OpenGL), I am looking for basic text on screen, sound and decent quality graphics, model loading.. get my drift..?

If not, please tell me what else I should be using and point me to some tutorials of that..

Please try to answer all of these questions, thank you..

This post has been edited by Ahmed92: 04 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Seeking advice about game making

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Seeking advice about game making

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

.. moving to 'game development'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Seeking advice about game making

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

All of the questions don't need answering. You need a lot more than 15 months programming to start making the games you think you are capable of, so get to becoming a more experienced programmer and view the threads on this forum that answer your questions multiple times over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1