2 Replies - 229 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Optional Tags in Sitemaps

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a couple questions about sitemaps:

When creating a sitemap, should I include the optional tags (<lastmod>, <changefreq>, and <priority>)?
If I include these tags, will they cause errors for search engines that do not use them? (For example, I think Google uses these optional tags, but I do not know if Yahoo or any other engines use them.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Optional Tags in Sitemaps

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Optional Tags in Sitemaps

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hey.

If you have values for them, then you should use them. Sitemaps are XML based. No search engine worth a damn will fail to parse a sitemap because it contains extra notes in the XML tree. As long as the required notes are in their proper positions, this should not matter at all.

If this is really a big concern, you should definitely validate your sitemaps through the search engine's webmaster tools. I know both Google and Bing have them, and no doubt all the other "major" search engines. (Just Google for them; shouldn't be hard to find :P)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Optional Tags in Sitemaps

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostAtli, on 06 August 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Hey.

If you have values for them, then you should use them. Sitemaps are XML based. No search engine worth a damn will fail to parse a sitemap because it contains extra notes in the XML tree. As long as the required notes are in their proper positions, this should not matter at all.

If this is really a big concern, you should definitely validate your sitemaps through the search engine's webmaster tools. I know both Google and Bing have them, and no doubt all the other "major" search engines. (Just Google for them; shouldn't be hard to find :P/>)

Cool. Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1