7 Replies - 665 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2013 - 01:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASCII, C++, and Win64 (Win7) - Where to start?

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hello all, and how are you.

I have been currently taking a blazing fondness of code, and game development, by lately I mean maybe 5-6 years planning and working with teams to make games (Both paper and pen based, and computer based, and IRC-chat based, and various other styles, I don't simply mean "Video Game")

Recently, over the past two years I have put down the controllers and books for my keyboard and started out on my new life addiction, ASCII Games. Rouge Likes in particular, but anything ASCII seems to tickle my fancy.

So, seeing as I was already learning C for a MUD I was working for as a builder, and part time "Copy-Paster" (Coder). I felt I could embark on a more advance tactic to doing something I need to do anyways, Learn C++/and programming concepts.

Next year I start my first four years of Computer Science, and I am told my schools curriculum for it is programmer heavy, (With light dabs of hardware.) So, I started early.

I have done quite a bit (A little bit) of testing, poking, and prodding at writing C++ Console apps, but I am told by many, "ASCII Games that get complex can not be made in Console! It's just not made for games." a statement which is obviously not one I intend to argue.

My question now, is this. I am looking into a few methods that I could use, OGL, SDL, SFML, all of which work in co-hoots with C++, all with basic code-blocks support (code-blocks is my IDE of choice until someone tells me of something better)

What I want as much info as possible, past games done in the above, source codes available to look at, past experience, comments, critiques.

What I do NOT want, is hand outs.. I want directions, not someone to help me cross the street...

Thank you in advance, as always.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASCII, C++, and Win64 (Win7) - Where to start?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASCII, C++, and Win64 (Win7) - Where to start?

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

My question now, is this. I am looking into a few methods that I could use, OGL, SDL, SFML, all of which work in co-hoots with C++, all with basic code-blocks support (code-blocks is my IDE of choice until someone tells me of something better)

Cahoots... how?

This?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 August 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Cahoots... how?

This?

No no, that is more of a choose-your-own story style, I want a more RougeLike feel using ASCII Graphics, or something similar to other RL games.

Like...

Dwarf Fortress or Infra Arcana (More this than DF)

Cahoots... how?

Meaning all of the above library's, as I am told they are called work with C++ as a language. Most work with many languages, and most all of them have pretty nice tutorials and support for configuring CodeBlocks compiler to work with them. Sorry I was a bit vague.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Okay.. why would you want to use some sort of bloated game engine and graphics library with a console game? Would it just be a exercise in using "system("CLS")" and a game loop?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Not really, why don't you have a look at what I am attempting, before seeing it as that. I believe you are a bit confused and think I am working on something like a typical mud, or text-adventure.

That is not what I am getting at, not at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well looking at the games hes posted, a graphics library would be needed to support the visual aspects in which a console couldn't accomplish... Light gradients, colors, etc. (I mean it could (curses,colors), but not efficiently/easily...)

I have used SFML before for small tile based 2D games, you could take a look at that. Infra Arcana seems to be using some sort of 16x16 tile engine. Wouldn't be to hard to create such a game, the graphics/logic is quite straight forward. But I assume these games don't exactly care for the graphics, mostly the story-line?

Edit:
My post is based on this video:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6zfZscBLpG0

This post has been edited by BlueMelon: 09 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

So, I have no idea where to "have a look at what I am attempting"... all I am getting is vague glimpses of something going on so sure.. it's like shooting in the dark.

As for games like dwarffortress - since there is not complex graphics it was just made in c++.

Example:

What language is Dwarf Fortress programmed in? Would you ever switch to or develop another project in a language like OCaml(pronounced o-camel)? (Aaron Ogden)
I wrote DF in C with some C++ sprinkled in

http://dubiousqualit...w-part-two.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 August 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

So, I have no idea where to "have a look at what I am attempting"... all I am getting is vague glimpses of something going on so sure.. it's like shooting in the dark.

As for games like dwarffortress - since there is not complex graphics it was just made in c++.

Example:

What language is Dwarf Fortress programmed in? Would you ever switch to or develop another project in a language like OCaml(pronounced o-camel)? (Aaron Ogden)
I wrote DF in C with some C++ sprinkled in

http://dubiousqualit...w-part-two.html

Haha, never-mind. I was referring to the links I posted.

BlueMelon hit it on the nail really, SMFL will as I have seen, likely be my best bet. Just looking for people who have done similar projects, or worked with ASCII style graphics before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1