• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Electronic Cigarettes and "Vaping"

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

smokers are the worst.

with their damn cancer holes...

My technician has these Electronic Cigarettes. He makes his own flavors & what not. Gets to smoke pretty much when ever, where ever. & he also doesn't cough like he's dying anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I avoid any kind of smoking and smokers altogether, so I don't much care.

Self-righteous much? I can understand "I don't want to be around cigarette smoke" or "I ask people not to light up when I'm around, and I leave the area if they do", but "I avoid smokers" sounds a little puritanical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

He likes to put people into groups and then judge them.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 10 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

He likes to put people into groups and then judge them.

Yeah. And I HATE people like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Despite other shortcomings, I can see how his "I avoid smokers altogether" isn't being puritanical...just brief.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

That would be incredibly sloppy thinking, and I'm not willing to assume that of anyone. What would be the point of talking to someone who doesn't know the difference between a behavior and a person who indulges in that behavior?

I'm going to give him credit for saying what he means and meaning what he says. That's sort of a sine qua non for indulging in conversation with someone at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 October 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I avoid any kind of smoking and smokers altogether, so I don't much care.

Self-righteous much? I can understand "I don't want to be around cigarette smoke" or "I ask people not to light up when I'm around, and I leave the area if they do", but "I avoid smokers" sounds a little puritanical.

I avoid cigarette smoke and smokers just like I avoid asbestos as much as possible. It's not really any more complicated than that. For clarification, when I write "smokers", I do mean people in the act of smoking. It would be pretty difficult to avoid such a large percentage of the population otherwise. That and the fact that unless you smell it on them, you generally haver no idea whether or not they smoke.

Self-righteous? How do you come up with this shit, dude? :lol:

EDIT: For further clarification, if I do smell smoke on someone, I do try to avoid them to a degree, as it is such a vile stench.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 10 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

i enjoy watching smokers fail at quitting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I avoid cigarette smoke and smokers just like I avoid asbestos as much as possible. It's not really any more complicated than that. For clarification, when I write "smokers", I do mean people in the act of smoking. It would be pretty difficult to avoid such a large percentage of the population otherwise. That and the fact that unless you smell it on them, you generally haver no idea whether or not they smoke.

Self-righteous? How do you come up with this shit, dude? :lol:/>

You statement was of the form "I avoid a class of people who indulge in a behavior I disapprove of". That is nearly a perfect definition of self-righteous Puritanism.

If you modify your statement to be instead "I avoid people who are smoking", as you've just done, then the charge is no longer valid, and is retracted.

Do you even read what you write, or do you just type and hit "post" and hope for the best?

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 10 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 October 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Self-righteous? How do you come up with this shit, dude? :lol:/>/>/>

You statement was of the form "I avoid a class of people who indulge in a behavior I disapprove of". That is nearly a perfect definition of self-righteous Puritanism.

If you modify your statement to be instead "I avoid people who are smoking", as you've just done, then the charge is no longer valid, and is retracted.

Do you even read what you write, or do you just type and hit "post" and hope for the best?

And therein lies the problem with the written word. It's open to interpretation much more than the spoken. People in the act of smoking are by definition, smokers.

I get that you think you're winning some argument by going out of your way to take everything so literally, but it is kind of silly.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 10 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Jesus Christ, boys! Stop it! Can't we all just get along?!?!?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

I get that you think you're winning some argument by going out of your way to take everything so literally, but it is kind of silly.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of silly to write things you don't mean and expect people to figure out that you didn't mean that, you meant something quite different.

People in the act of smoking are by definition, smokers.

Well, no, in standard usage a "smoker" is someone who is in the habit of smoking. Health insurance companies charge a premium if you're a smoker - that doesn't mean that your rate goes up just while you've got a lit cigarette in your hand.

A person who is smoking right now is probably a smoker - but not necessarily. For example, a person who used to smoke but quit some time ago might take a cigarette under some stressful circumstance, or under the influence of alcohol. That person can legitimately say "I'm not a smoker, but [extenuating circumstance]". On the other hand, a person who is a smoker is a smoker all day, not just when they're polluting the air around them. They stop being a smoker when they renounce tobacco, not when they finish their cigarette.

That's how English works - it works the same for a "surfer" (Jim is a surfer if he surfs regularly, not just while he's surfing, and he's still a surfer when he's at the office) or a "gardener" or just about any similar words.

(And, so you know, your counter-examples are wrong. If you want to go into them, bring them up. If you don't, don't)

View PostBenignDesign, on 10 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Jesus Christ, boys! Stop it! Can't we all just get along?!?!?

Getting along fine, Mom. Just schoolin' the boy in some English that he seems to have missed the first time around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think what's missing here is that some people take a great deal of effort putting thoughts into words whereas others type what they would say. I think you have to have a recognition of both types of written communication to have an exchange online. Hoisting someone by their own petard grammatically or via their choice of words, when reading it with an eye toward the other possible way it could be meant is handy...and avoids tangents away from the topic.

My 2c.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 October 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 10 October 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

On the other hand, I think it's kind of silly to write things you don't mean and expect people to figure out that you didn't mean that, you meant something quite different.

That's just stupid.

Not that I was using it, because I clearly was not, but you have just labeled sarcasm in the written word as silly, one of the most powerful tools a writer has at his disposal.

Unwind your knickers. Stop taking everything so literally, and then stop trying to beat everyone over the head with your interpretation.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 10 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

You're really intent on dragging this out, aren't you?

Do you really want to turn this into a debate on sarcasm in written texts? We can, if you want, but I think B9 will probably find and kill both of us if we do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »