7 Replies - 461 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tools for making professional websites? How are they made?

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

This may seem really general, but I was wondering how professional websites are actually made. I'm very proficient with the code end of it, and I can develop well in any text editor, but in reality is that how professional sites are made? This seems rather tedious, and I was wondering if tools like WordPress or DreamWeaver were actually used generally in a professional context? Like the average website, how is it made?

Thanks,

Jake

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tools for making professional websites? How are they made?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tools for making professional websites? How are they made?

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Well it depends on what the website is actually coded in. If you are building ASP.NET websites the preferred tool is Visual Studio. If you are building straight HTML/CSS etc, you can use your favorite editor or tools like Dreamweaver etc (even though I am not a fan of dreamweaver). You can also use all purpose IDEs like netbeans or eclipse to develop for websites. PHP also have a few editors.

When it comes to building professional websites, many pros are building for wordpress, drupal or joomla. These are popular CMS systems that are in wide use. I like to use tools like Sublime Text 2 to work on website code since it has great tools for making HTML fast and easy to write. But there are plenty of tools out there for making all sorts of sites and professionals use many of them.

I myself have used visual studio for one piece of a site, sublime for another, and perhaps an IDE for a wordpress plugin I am writing. All depends on what you are writing. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

Dreamweaver is the most favored tool for creating website. But it all depends on the developers personal preference. Some people are great with text editors while some people require an IDE to manage their project. NetBeans and WebStorm are also widely used. It all comes down to the personal preference of the person. If he likes to code in a text editor or he needs a IDE. I personally use Sublime Text 2 for my development purpose. The main goal is to write code. It doesn't matter how the code is written.Website builders also gives great looking websites without code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostNirmalya24, on 11 August 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Dreamweaver is the most favored tool for creating website.

I assume you meant to say that DW is "your most favourite tool" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 11 August 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostNirmalya24, on 11 August 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Dreamweaver is the most favored tool for creating website.

I assume you meant to say that DW is "your most favourite tool" ?

I shouldn't have written that in the first place. Developers earlier depended on dreamweaver when there weren't many good text editors. Recently many development tools have come up. Many people still use dreamweaver and recommend it. Sorry for any confusions :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

No need to apologise, I just wanted to clarify whose favourite tool it was :)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've heard of professional websites being made on Notepad++, which is my favorite. Well that opinion is extremely biased because that's the only thing I've used. It all comes down to a matter of opinion; I've heard good & bad things about every "Web Tool". It's just a matter of who your asking.

This post has been edited by DblAAssassin: 11 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

How exactly do you define "professional website"? I've professionally made websites that consisted only of a handful of static HTML pages.

Everybody has a favourite IDE or text editor, and they'll all be more than happy to come in here and tell you how that particular IDE/editor is excellent for professional work. The truth is that the tool depends on the job, and the preference of the coder. If you're working on a huge project with thousands of code files and another thousand resource files, most would probably opt for an IDE like Eclipse, Netbeans or DreamWeaver. Some will stubbornly promote Vi or Emacs above all else, regardless of the scope of the project. (Using Unix as an IDE makes you l33t, apparently.) On small projects most will probably just fire up Notepad*/Gedit/Kate/VIM/Emacs/Sublime/etc... and type it out the old fashioned way.

However, the few web development related companies I've seen (fleetingly) always seemed to be very Microsoft or Adobe oriented, depending on the main languages being used. Turns out companies love to spend money on things, even when there are excellent free alternatives available. (Though it's probably just that schools tend to promote these tools to students when teaching them this stuff, so they take that with them into the real world.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1