Gaming Industry

• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1615 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 11:36 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Gaming Industry

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

View Postmegabit, on 16 August 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

If a game company is going to employ you its probably not going to matter if you have a "software egineering" major, a "game programming" major, or a "web and networking" major as long as you have passion and skill!

I wouldn't advise taking 'any' degree. Remember that when you are applying to games you are up against people of equal skill as well, so if it comes down to two winning candidates with equal skill but different degrees, the candidate with the more relevant degree will get the job.

Without a doubt computer science degrees win hands down, even against game programming degrees.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

So you are saying that for a Games Programming job, a computer science degree would win over a Bachelor of Interactive Entertainment, with a major in Games Programming? WOW, This has shocked me. I know computer science degrees are valuable in their respective fields, but I had no clue that it would be more valuable than a Games Programming degree. Shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Yes. Computer Science grads are the huge majority in game programming jobs - a good computer science degree buys a lot of interest, and studios are aware that students avoid actual computer science because it's challenging.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

I think the topic of Game Development degree from a Games College vs. BSc Computer Science Degree from a university has been controversial for a long time. Personally, I side with ButchDean's opinion, and not because I myself am going the straight Computer Science degree, but because I believe it gives the best return on your investment in terms of experience and prospective salary.

In regards to prospective salary from each side, Game Development degrees are specialized towards familiarizing yourself with API's, engine's and topics of game development; where as BSc Computer Science degree are essentially universal in nature and carry high-level experience in the most popular languages(c++, sql, java).

In regards to experience, I highly doubt the knowledge and discipline you gain from a Games College rivals the University experience in terms of difficulty, stress level, and topics discussed. For example, in any university Science degree program they will force you to take up to and including at least Calculus II, which will help develop your critical thinking ability; while a Games College may only teach you about the maths that are most popular to Game Development, namely basic-intermediate Linear Algebra techniques.

To stop from writing an essay on this topic, I will stop here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sometimes game companies have close relationships with universities and their game development departments which can secure you a year in industry and an introduction that could lead to a hire later down the line. But to be totally honest you just need to show that you can make games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

I agree with ButchDean. The one exception I have seen was Digipen, which, from what I have heard has a very rigorous CS program(probably more so than the traditional uni that I am at).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, Digipen is very tough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostButchDean, on 22 August 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yeah, Digipen is very tough.

Yeah. It's why I'm considering going there for graduate school when I finish my current degrees out here in CA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Better make sure your programming is very much up-to-scratch. I took one of the top three most demanding computer science degrees back in the UK, and it really pushes you hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

View Postaaron1178, on 18 August 2013 - 12:31 AM, said:

So you are saying that for a Games Programming job, a computer science degree would win over a Bachelor of Interactive Entertainment, with a major in Games Programming? WOW, This has shocked me. I know computer science degrees are valuable in their respective fields, but I had no clue that it would be more valuable than a Games Programming degree. Shit.

Computer Science degrees are indeed much more valuable if you intend to be a game programmer. The reason for that is because a successful Comp-Sci grad will understand programming logic and algorithms with more depth along with having the understanding for computer architecture. Not to mention that they will also have the advanced math knowledge which is highly required in the gaming industry. With that being said. I think being successful depends on the person. Not the education they get. But if you want a job in the AAA industry as a game programmer, a Comp-Sci degree will be preferred over any other degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +