6 Replies - 560 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re-installed computer only to find out Outlook mail is gone.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a headache giving problem. My father has an computer with XP on. So this weekend I thought I should surprise him and give him a better system, the Windows 7. The XP is crashing more and more and malware is creeping in. How he manage with that, is beyond me.

Now, he loves his Outlook 2007 with his ISP e-mail. Yes, I have managed to knock him over to a online-service (G-Mail). The ISP is using POP3.

Now, I backed up everything on his computer. But for some reason I did not check how to back up all mail from Outlook. I guess I am a bit blind, thought that the mail should be on the ISP server.

Now, the installation is complete. Windows 7 is running smooth and every bit of driver is working fine. I set up his favorite office suite, the Microsoft Office 2007. But when I look into the Outlook, all mail is gone. :mellow:

So now I have plugged the plug, so to speak. I need to recover the mail. I tried thinking of which step to take, but I am blank. Should I try to recovery the XP? Or what? I'm stumped. How to fix this? Because my dad for some reason have some mail which contains licenses for software. On his ISP-mailing address. :wacko:

Thank you for reading my problem.
//WinkyCode

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Re-installed computer only to find out Outlook mail is gone.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Re-installed computer only to find out Outlook mail is gone.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Moving to software support.

A little confused.. Outlook's just the client, right? Who is backing his mail? Gmail? The ISP?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

There was an option in Outlook 2007 (or maybe 2003?) to keep a copy of the emails on the server. It wasn't ticked by default and previously downloaded all my emails, Doh! Hopefully, this is not your case.

If this is not the case (hopefully) then all you need to do is re-configure the gmail account.

You might read this link:

Where does Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 save my information and configurations?

I would do a global search for all .pst, and other files. I prefer Agent Ransack for thorough file searching.

If it finds the files/folder then this will reassure me that it is still available. Then I would investigate importing this folder or files (from within Outlook), or attaching a Mailbox (I don't play with this often enough to realise what the difference is).

But,as Modi says, all this shouldn't be necessary as the emails (gmails) are on the server.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 August 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Moving to software support.

A little confused.. Outlook's just the client, right? Who is backing his mail? Gmail? The ISP?

Thank you modi123_1 for putting my question in the proper forum. :bigsmile:

Most of his mail, especially his old mail, is by the ISP-address. But I have convinced him to start moving to Gmail. So, most old mail, many with licenses for various program, is on the old @ISP.com address. That is my headache; I need these license to set up his computer properly. :sweatdrop:

Outlook is a client but I do not like it. Not since I by mistake wiped out my whole @yahoo.com mail and was left with nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

I will contact the ISP tomorrow and see if they might have a copy. Or maybe the NSA (was that mean?).

The old XP-system was running for three years now. 2 of them with the @ISP.com address so it has been stacking up. The last year I have convinced the old man to start using G-mail and the Chrome browser to view his mail.

So, I have thrown out the XP-system and installed over it with the Windows 7. The XP is gone. Only the problem is, that I might have erased 2 years of mails. Woops.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I have contacted the ISP and they have no idea. Figures.

I will pull the drive and use an other HDD to install the system so at least my father can use the system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

That's a bummer. Depending on how much you've written to that old drive it might be a shot to use Recuva.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1