4 Replies - 415 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2013 - 11:42 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you need to learn before using a game engine?

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about game programming and using a game engine. And I really didn't ask any specific questions on my last thread, because I haven't formed my question.

Basically, what is everything you need to learn in game programming before using a game engine (like Unity)?

I personally have been learning C# and XNA, because C# is used in Unity as a scripting language, and I always intended on transferring to Unity after learning everything I needed to know. So I really need to know everything I need to learn before going to Unity. Meanwhile I'll be learning that in XNA or SharpDX.

The reason I didn't post this thread in the XNA section, is because it's not specific to XNA, I was just pointing out what I'm doing, but it can apply to any language, including C++ and UDK.
Feel free to post about general knowledge you need to have before using a game engine that's not language specific.

Cheers!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you need to learn before using a game engine?

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you need to learn before using a game engine?

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well, we really cannot tell you everything you need to know. The reason for this is that game engines are constantly changing and evolving.

Well, unity has a beginners scripting tutorial available, which is really helpful for people new yo unity. Unity also has available a scripting reference for a developers resource.

Most popular game engines have lots of tutorials and a scripting reference available.

Hope it helps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well, I meant more in the line of, a list of topics that you need to have learned, before getting into a game engine. :)
As it's kind of a bad idea to get into a game engine, without any previous knowledge of some required topics that you absolutely have to know, otherwise you'd be lost.

And as a beginner and newbie in game programming, I really feel that finding the answers for a list of topics you have to know and a good list of tutorials and resources, has been daunting so far. But I'm finally getting around to it. :)

I've also tried C++ and SFML, which is probably the best way to start C++, but switched to C# and XNA because it's easier to learn in it. :)

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

The one thing that you need to learn is how to code well then the theory of developing games. The normal route is:

1. Become a great (as in better than 'good') programmer.
2. Read up on some theory on developing games.
3. Become proficient in being able to code subsystems like graphics, audio, IO, etc.
4. Bring them all together to make a game.

That is it. Vague yes, but exactly accurate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

If you're proficient in any popular imperative language (C++, C#, Java, Python, etc) and know the basics of game development then you're probably ready to work with game engines like Unity. Though keep in mind that programming is only part of the battle. For most programmers, the problem tends to be art and 3D modelling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1