3 Replies - 2462 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How much space & what features?

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hey there,

I was in talks with my friends and my computer science teacher - and we were discussing about creating and moderately large site ( this was all hypothetical )and we came across talking about hosting the website and how much space and most importantly money you'd have to put aside for the site. The site we drempt up was a site where if you had what we called ' one piece of the puzzle ' i.e, if you were lets say a programmer wanting to create a game but you had no skill in art you would be able to join up with your missing link using a public 'market-place' where other people are also looking for a programmer or artist. Then once you have all the people you want or need you would be able to in your dash-board where the project is you can set task and say when they have been completed etc etc.

Sorry if this seems long but all I really would like to ask is how much space would you need to host a site like this if it was moderately popular and what key-features would you look for in the web-host to host a site like this?

Thanks

Matthew

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much space & what features?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much space & what features?

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Size is a questionable.. I mean somewhere over 300mb would be sufficient for the images and actual files... then, as most of these sites go, you'll need a few databases. After that the features would be high bandwidth (10-15gb), relatively updated versions of php (or what ever else programming wise you would have), email accounts, etc.

It's a bit rough without knowing the specifics of the site, but if you code up the site locally you can see some parameters needed.

Honestly you can bing "web hosting" and look at the 'starter' plans to get a feel for what is out there and what is offered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hey.

So you are talking about a project management site, like Github or Bitbucket, but with and added social/job marketplace aspect?

The specs of the host would depend on what platform you are using to create it, and how exactly it's going to be designed.

In general I would advice against shared hosts. Go for a dedicated option. Perhaps even a cloud based host, where you can easily increase the power of the server as your site gains popularity. I've never used them myself, but I hear both Google and Amazon offer pretty decent solutions like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks and Atli - that was the kinda' feel I was hoping to go for
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1