Enjoy those "freedoms". Judges can rename your kids...

• (4 Pages)
  • +

49 Replies - 2897 Views - Last Post: 16 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Enjoy those "freedoms". Judges can rename your kids...

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

This is a pretty clear breach of separation of religion and state. The judge fucking cited her reason in as offending her religion...WTF?! Your not allowed to do that!!! I'm not saying religious reasons for things don't end up in govermetn (DoMA, "in god we trust", the gay rights issue in general, like every fucking Conservative politician in existence that campaigns as a "christian") I'm just saying it's flat out wrong. This is nuts, I can't believe it quite frankly; There is no way this will hold up. How separation of church and state has been so easily subverted really pisses me off. An official should not be making decisions based on anything religious; An official should not be promoting religion in anyway; An official should not be discouraging religion in anyway.

Should the most popular name in the world, Muhammad, not be allowed too?

I actually disagree with the parents naming their child something so blatantly religious without family precedence (i.e. the kids grandfather was named it or something) as the child should IMO choose their religious affiliation when they are old enough to make a sensible decision. This said there is a precedence that is at least 100 million people strong spanning numerous generations, of people giving their children biblical names (heck, my name is Jacob) and choosing their children's religion for them (as it more or less was for me) so I can HARDLY see how an official could actually use that reasoning. She didn't use this reasoning anyhow. She used her own religion as reasoning.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 12 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postishkabible, on 12 August 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

This is a pretty clear breach of separation of religion and state. The judge fucking cited her reason in as offending her religion...WTF?! Your not allowed to do that!!! This is nuts, I can't believe it quite frankly; There is no way this will hold up.

It's the backwater south. They literally believe in magical beings. :lol: Anyway, it will never hold up on appeal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm set on naming my first child Anakin, so I can rub his head and say "you will bring balance to the force".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

May the judge at your hearing be a devout follower of The Church of the Jedi Order and order his name changed to Sebulba because Anakin is the birth name given to Vader who is essentially Jedi Satan. It will save your son years of torment what with being called "Annie" all his life.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

He's not Jedi Satan; he's more like Jedi Judas. He forsake the Jedi Order but actually ended up bringing peace to the force as the prophecy said he would when he killed the emperor. Judas betrayed Jesus but because of this we were all saved from sin when Jesus died for us. Both betrayed their ideals for evil but ended up bringing good.

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter what you do. It might be good anyway and sense we're all saved from sin anyhow you'll still get into heaven. So next time your thinking "should I really eat the grapes before I buy them?" the answer is "yes".

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 12 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 12 August 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

View Postsalazar, on 12 August 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

I think it is appropriate in this case. It is for the child's own good. The word 'Messiah' obviously has significant connotations here. You would not want to name a child 'Devil' Freedom, as with many things should not be abused.

I can see this argument.

In the families region it obvsly has the chance for backlash.

Just look at their judge, and her awful argument for it. "There's only 1 messiah"... HA, uneducated twit doesn't even know her own religion.

But if the judge is that stupid, imagine everyone else in the area.

I say name the kid Messiah, and move.

Did duct just turn into a 13 year old girl halfway through that post for a word?

Joke aside, he's right. It's heart wrenching that such ignorance is allowed to flourish, and that it's being actively encouraged in parts of the country. They should just name the kid Messiah and get the fuck out of dodge.

View Postsupersloth, on 12 August 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

gonna name my kid 'Rio' because i find the name 'Rio Rivera' hilarious.

Will you let her dance on the sand?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

(huzzah for Shel Silverstein...)

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 12 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 depricated  Icon User is online

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 12 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'm naming my first born Cthulhu.

Try and stop me.

In all seriousness, assuming I ever have kids, and I'd like to, my second born boy will be getting Cthulhu as a middle name.

My firstborn boy will be getting Danger as his middle name
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#24 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Come on, people. What's wrong with serial numbers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postdepricated, on 13 August 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 12 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'm naming my first born Cthulhu.

Try and stop me.

In all seriousness, assuming I ever have kids, and I'd like to, my second born boy will be getting Cthulhu as a middle name.

My firstborn boy will be getting Danger as his middle name

I could be wrong here.... I'm not, but I could be.... I don't believe naming your children is entirely your choice. In fact, the mother of said children will likely have spent many hours of her life deciding on exactly what she would like to name her future parasites. For your own safety when the time comes, tread gently in your baby name arguments with a pregnant woman. She will fuck you up over baby names.

That being said, as one who has birthed parasites firsthand, I would absolutely use Cthulhu. But you'd only be naming my kid Danger if you killed me first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

I went to high school in east Tennessee, and my folks live there. It's not unexpected to be honest. In the rural area in East Tennessee, nothing is more important than religion, period, and there have been instances of extreme racism and sexism in the area. With that in mind, I COULD honestly see the kid being in danger, and while I disagree with the decision to change the kid's name, life is going to be hard either way.

Also speaking of stupid Tennessee laws, the monkey trails were entered back into the court room not less than a year ago. There are some super progressive areas in TN (like my town of Oak Ridge), but overall, the rural areas really make TN a rather backwards place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostDogstopper, on 13 August 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

There are some super progressive areas in TN (like my town of Oak Ridge), but overall, the rural areas really make TN a rather backwards place.

Super progressive... Does that mean marrying your cousin instead of your sister? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

lod's first born

Posted Image

Super progressive... Does that mean marrying your cousin instead of your sister?

Ha! In all seriousness however that is where the Oak Ridge national laboratory is which is in turn where I believe one of the fastest super computers in the world is. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other places there that hired highly educated people as well. I'd be willing to bet Oak Ridge (never been there my self) is actually a pretty educated place.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 13 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postishkabible, on 13 August 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

lod's first born

Posted Image

Super progressive... Does that mean marrying your cousin instead of your sister?

Ha! In all seriousness however that is where the Oak Ridge national laboratory is which is in turn where I believe one of the fastest super computers in the world is. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other places there that hired highly educated people as well. I'd be willing to bet Oak Ridge (never been there my self) is actually a pretty educated place.

Awww, now I was going to vote you up for the pic of LoD's first born, but then you went and spoilt all my assumptions about Tennessee.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, Oak Ridge has both X10 (Oak Ridge National Lab) and Y12 (National Security Complex). It's called the secret city because it was the home of the Manhattan Project. Education is phenomenal and was in the top 100 high schools in the nation in '09.

You're also correct about the supercomputer called Titan. What was cool was that our Computer Science club got to use it just cause some of our parents asked for a small piece of it for educational purposes. Theoretical peak of 27 PetaFlops. :P

Yeah, that's ALSO in the same Tennessee. It's ridiculous outside of the technology corridor in TN.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +